Facebook Bans Name Of English Town

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that Facebook takes issue with the name of this town. To be honest, most of us wouldn't even have noticed that Scunthorpe contains a dirty four letter word had it not been pointed out to us. Well, that didn't stop Facebook's filter from catching it and banning the word from being shared on the site. Odd that Facebook doesn't block stuff the town of Essex or words like therapist.

The problem was stumbled upon by band October Drift as they attempted to post about an upcoming gig on their Facebook page. But it seems to be affecting anyone who attempts to post about the town, showing that Facebook is falling victim to an age-old problem of online forums and spam filters

Good lord, I thought this problem was old news. Plus ca change... There are many places with rude words embedded in their names, sometimes deliberately so, like Gropec**t Lane (Bowdlerised by yours truly.) And I'm sure the same holds in other languages. Indeed, there's a Dutch surname which translates as 'little pieces of sh*t.'

what-are-you.jpg

It's not banned, just on the list of blocked words you can't PAY to promote.

The word can be written in a normal post, as can most other profanities. But as soon as someone attempts to pay to have the reach of a post with the word increased, the automated filter will step in.

What's more funny is basically they are refusing money for something thats obviously a mistake and from the article it sounds like it's been an ongoing internet issue, not just FB.

Well Facebook, I'll C U next Tuesday and see if you have changed your mind.

I guess they wont be impressed by Clitheroe :p

That's ridiculous. A site as big and part of everyone's lives as FB should be 100% neutral.

Ironicly they allow ISIS pages, but ban stuff just because it has a bad word in it.

Reminds me of the good old Arrested Development show. Combining two job titles, analyst and therapist, for Tobias' business card. I wonder if that would pass the facebook filter.

Last edited:
Facebook has a tax free account in the Kayman Islands. That's some real dirt.

Facebook has a tax free account in the Kayman Islands. That's some real dirt.

I hate that shit. As a civilian, if you try anything like this it's tax evasion and you end up getting slapped HARD with fines. But corporations can do it all they want. I hope the whole panama papers thing perhaps sparks governments to be more strict on this, and be consistent about it. If civilians can't do it, corporations should not be able to either.

Funny enough I was watching this documentary on the Caymen Islands and then the next day the Panama thing hit. It is in this video he talks about Facebook offshore account.

You should watch this too.

I hate that shit. As a civilian, if you try anything like this it's tax evasion and you end up getting slapped HARD with fines. But corporations can do it all they want. I hope the whole panama papers thing perhaps sparks governments to be more strict on this, and be consistent about it. If civilians can't do it, corporations should not be able to either.

You actually can offshore your accounts to avoid paying taxes on the interest. Rich jerks do it all the time.

Back