Facebook Announces New Dating Feature

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
CNBC is reporting that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced during the annual F8 Developer Conference today, that they are launching a new dating feature. The opt-in feature will allow users to make a dating profile that friends won't be able to see, as well as match users with people they are not already friends with.

Interesting note in the article is that shares of dating company Match dropped 22% upon the announcement. Quite surprising that people would be willing to hand Facebook even more of their personal info in my opinion.

"It mirrors the way people actually date, which is usually at events and institutions that they're connected to," chief product officer Chris Cox said during the F8 conference.

This is Onion right? Into the teeth of this privacy nightmare they're launching a dating service? Come on... can't be real?

And, if you change your settings (soon to be added), it keeps your privates private.

Hope Zuck's wife doesn't find out he has more numbers on hand than a political phone tree pushing for an erection, oh, I meant election or did I?

Headline news from the future: Mark Zuckerberg convicted on 4 billions counts of sex trafficking.

Wow. Coming soon to BraZZers. The Facebook chicks that put out and the guys who got hooked up!!

"Have you ever found a date through Facebook?" will be worth 15 points on the standardized "R U a Luser?" test.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Que a few crazy stalkers after that one bad facebook date and this will blow up and then some. All well if Facebook wants to shoot self in foot some more and hasten their end... that is fine with me.

Seriously I don't see many decent people anyone should be wanting to date wanting to advertise they are online dating via facebook. Really what decent human being wants their Grandma and everyone else in their life to know how terrible they are at dating.... or how often they are dating. Seems really silly.

I believe facebook is thinking all those fake Facebook profiles created for dating are going to mask the growing number of facebook unfriends.

Dating via Facebook, because no one ever lies on the Internet, so you are sure to find your match.

Wait a minute,....if you are using Facebook, then you probably deserve each other. I'll be damn, maybe the Zuck is on to something.

"hand Facebook even more of their personal info", like what? I mean people post all this info to the PUBLIC already, down to what they have each meal and when they take a shit. I love fake out rage by people.

Well Tinder is already very connected to Facebook.
I might ditch Tinder for this.
Yes, I'm looking forward to it. Sweden is basically internet dating only.

I mean on one hand it makes sense and seems like one of those "why didnt you sooner?" moments. They already have your info and probably the most profiles of any social network. When most dating sites want to ping your facebook to populate the profile there, it just sounds like something they should have already done.

that said, screw facebook and wanting more info for profiling.

Great now everyone will know your sexual preferences

<--- does not have facebook.

those catgirls are all fake! theyre human girls cosplaying as catgirls! i will not be fooled again!

Quite surprising that people would be willing to hand Facebook even more of their personal info in my opinion.

With their record, I'm not giving it to Facebook. I'm letting them sell it to anyone and everyone.

"hand Facebook even more of their personal info", like what? I mean people post all this info to the PUBLIC already, down to what they have each meal and when they take a shit. I love fake out rage by people.

Have you been following their recent data handling issues? Yes, people give a LOT of public information. But, it's also getting more information (browsing habits, sites visited, purchasing habits, etc.). It's not just the individual posts that are being used. That's just a tiny bit of what Facebook is gathering from you, and pretty insignificant.

Sweden is basically internet dating only.

Oh yea. I might have a chance! Sweden has some of the most amazing, beautiful women on the planet (dudes, too.... just a very beautiful population).

Great now everyone will know your sexual preferences

I'm sure Facebook already has that as part of some profile for everyone with a profile... it's on the advanced pricing tier, though.

Have you been following their recent data handling issues? Yes, people give a LOT of public information. But, it's also getting more information (browsing habits, sites visited, purchasing habits, etc.). It's not just the individual posts that are being used. That's just a tiny bit of what Facebook is gathering from you, and pretty insignificant.

I have. And it wasn't FB. It was people agreed to install an app (3rd party) that stated what data would be collected so people could do a personality test. People agreed to it and installed it, it is well known and stated what data FB collects on you, Apple and Google collect even more. This is not recent at all.

A dating service where all your information is free to view.

It's like tinder but creepy as fuck.

Creepier.

Facebook: "We love your personal data longtime.

... and so do the people we sell your data to."

I have. And it wasn't FB. It was people agreed to install an app (3rd party) that stated what data would be collected so people could do a personality test. People agreed to it and installed it, it is well known and stated what data FB collects on you, Apple and Google collect even more. This is not recent at all.

They are collecting data beyond their own sites. Facebook can track you on other sites using cookies, the Facebook buttons, etc... Even if you don't post anything on Facebook, they still have a pretty detailed profile on you. Even without the 3rd party app. Those single posts telling when they poop and what they ate (corn, judging by the pic) aren't really that big of a deal compared to what else they track from you. They can get very targeted with their demographic data.

I think Google even has my DNA profile and family tree...

They are collecting data beyond their own sites. Facebook can track you on other sites using cookies, the Facebook buttons, etc... Even if you don't post anything on Facebook, they still have a pretty detailed profile on you. Even without the 3rd party app. Those single posts telling when they poop and what they ate (corn, judging by the pic) aren't really that big of a deal compared to what else they track from you. They can get very targeted with their demographic data.

I think Google even has my DNA profile and family tree...

Again, this isn't new....All of this has been well known.

Again, this isn't new....All of this has been well known.

Yes, it has. And they are adding to it, and people will continue to give them more information and details on their lives. But, with the current issues facing Facebook, it's surprising people are still willing to give them more and more information about themselves and trusting them with that information.

I guess if it gets them laid.....

Yes, it has. And they are adding to it, and people will continue to give them more information and details on their lives. But, with the current issues facing Facebook, it's surprising people are still willing to give them more and more information about themselves and trusting them with that information.

I guess if it gets them laid.....

Like I said in my post, I love fake outrage. People know what they are handing over, yet act mad when Facebook does what they tell you they are going to do, and people still stay with it. It means people value the service over privacy, now if I agree with that or not is not the question, it is up to those who use it. Just don't come crying or wanting to file a lawsuit when they do what they made clear they would do, which is the same as all other free social media business models. I would say Google and Apple are even worse in most cases due to having a GPS tracker on you at all times, including emails, texts etc etc, as well as everything that goes through FB which is often done on a Android or Apple phone, however with Google and Apple you are paying for the device and often times a number of services that still sell your data and serve you ads.

If your biggest worry for privacy is FB, a public social media site....Boy do I have news for you....

Because people who are on facebook need a dating service included......they can't get a date on their own so now they have FB do it for them? WoW!! :confused::eek::eek::confused: No thanks, I still wonder how many times they have been breached already and have never fessed up to it.

I don't understand why people date online to begin with. Never done it myself, but if I did, I'd certainly never use Facebook.

Social media - for me - is only a tool to keep in touch with people I already know, and who I met in person first. I don't believe in making friends or finding dates on the internet. That's what going out is for!

I don't understand why people date online to begin with. Never done it myself, but if I did, I'd certainly never use Facebook.

Social media - for me - is only a tool to keep in touch with people I already know, and who I met in person first. I don't believe in making friends or finding dates on the internet. That's what going out is for!

To each their own. People are people, how you meet them is just the medium. I've been with good and bad both that I met online first or ones I met in the real world first. Never really felt much difference between the two methods honestly. If you meet them in person first they will still stalk you online and learn what they can about you anyways. Meeting online first at least gives you a chance to visually check. Some people you look at them and just think "no!".

That said I met my wife when we were kids, but started chatting on facebook and that was what we used to swap numbers and then go out for a date.

Unless I misunderstood you. I don't really buy the whole "dating online" thing where people claim to be together but have never met, but as far as using it as a means to meet people I think it is no different than bumping into someone at the store. I'm antisocial for the most part so I hate going out into crowds lol.

I'll tell you why I did. If you are smart about it, it acts as a filter that otherwise would be very time intensive and wasteful. Put up a good profile that doesn't drag in drunks, druggies, gold diggers etc and learn to read other people's profiles.
Then go out with those people.

Sure, you can meet people by just going out, but you will hit a lot more duds that way, IMHO. You still end up going out with people, just you already know they are perhaps somewhat compatible and you know they are looking for a relationship.

It worked well for me, and I have no social media representation otherwise. Found my gal, happily married.

To each their own, but my point is that online dating can save you an incredible amount of time and headache.

Back