Facebook announces ads in Oculus Headset

I dont see anything about how this affects PCVR. If you use oculus 2 for wireless VR from your steam library, you shouldnt have to worry about any of this. But if they start overlaying ads on the screen thats a different story.

I dont see anything about how this affects PCVR. If you use oculus 2 for wireless VR from your steam library, you shouldnt have to worry about any of this. But if they start overlaying ads on the screen thats a different story.
That is not how most people will probably use it that purchase the oculus. They will more then likely think they have to stick to the oculus store. I am not sure but they oculus doesn't just work out of the box with steam?

That is not how most people will probably use it that purchase the oculus. They will more then likely think they have to stick to the oculus store. I am not sure but they oculus doesn't just work out of the box with steam?
It does now with AirLink or whatever its called. Granted its still beta but its on the roadmap. But very true, most people will just use the oculus store and whatever apps they can get without touching their PC.

Didn't a user years ago predicted this with a picture of something when it was reported Facebook bought them?

If they add ads into the shop section, I do not mind. But the moment I see ads forcibly injected inside games is the moment I sell my Quest 2.
It’s in the game here and coming to at least 2 more as a beta test.

You may be missing the existential problem and not looking beyond the now. Everything in the VR space is interconnected, and the actions of any one affect all. Facebook is undermining perception and credibility of VR as a whole with their actions.

For all the "good" for the space that subsidized hardware has done in lowering the barrier to entry - shitloads of Quest and Quest 2 headsets out there have undeniably lifted all boats - but they're now walking back a lot of the built up goodwill and tarnishing the entire space with their gotchas.

Perception is a key component of buy-in and adoption. And this isn't just about whether or not there are ads, or whether there's data collection on VR activity. It's about a trillion dollar megacorp slowly and systematically sucking the soul out of VR.

Last edited:
You're missing the existential problem and not looking beyond the now. Everything in the VR space is interconnected, and the actions of any one affect all. Facebook is undermining perception and credibility of VR as a whole with their actions.

For all the "good" for the space that subsidized hardware has done in lowering the barrier to entry, they're now walking back by tarnishing the entire space with gotchas.

Perception is a key component of buy-in and adoption. And this isn't just about whether or not there are ads, or whether there's data collection on VR activity. It's about a trillion dollar megacorp slowly and systematically sucking the soul out of VR.
VR is expensive, and very very meh. Maybe someday it will be used to control people ala ready player one, but for now, if I want to experience the real thing, I go do the real thing.

You're missing the existential problem and not looking beyond the now. Everything in the VR space is interconnected, and the actions of any one affect all. Facebook is undermining perception and credibility of VR as a whole with their actions.

For all the "good" for the space that subsidized hardware has done in lowering the barrier to entry, they're now walking back by tarnishing the entire space with gotchas.

I'm not missing the problem, I agree 100% with what you're saying. But if you're already invested in a Quest/Quest 2 setup there's not a lot you can do unless you sell it or don't buy the apps with embedded ads. Personally, I don't plan on buying another Oculus product because of this. But the average user who already posts their entire life on social media isn't going to bat an eyelash at this, and that's unfortunate. Hopefully Valve can deliver a similar product with wireless ect to compete.

I think you're all making this out into a way bigger deal than it is. They're basically just releasing their API that allows games to show Facebook's ads. There have been VR games with ads in them for years already. Game consoles have been plastering ads on their home screens for decades. More of it was inevitable.

I think you're all making this out into a way bigger deal than it is. They're basically just releasing their API that allows games to show Facebook's ads. There have been VR games with ads in them for years already. Game consoles have been plastering ads on their home screens for decades. More of it was inevitable.

"They're basically just releasing their API"... Guess we are safe when it's only tools instead of plans. j/k

As to inevitably, then perhaps the snowball into Hulu style gaming is inevitable too

They should measure pupil dilation when we see ads to find which ones are impactful.
Damn! Don't give them any ideas.

The next version will likely have a built in lie detector to gauge our emotional response to the ads.

Damn! Don't give them any ideas.

The next version will likely have a built in lie detector to gauge our emotional response to the ads.
They already have been using eye tracking in studies. I doubt that they aren't already for headsets.

Another reason not to get a webcam.
Or a TV with a built in camera. Like wut why?
You used the word "plastering." Placing ads on 1 or 2 tiles isn't "plastering."
15 years isn’t decades. I was trying to figure out if I had advertisements in the PS2 or OG sexbox. Two decades ago for me was battle.net and Everquest and they didn’t have ads. Maybe for expansions or something. I think battle.net had a header with blizzard related stuff but I’ve ruined my long term memory.

15 years isn’t decades. I was trying to figure out if I had advertisements in the PS2 or OG sexbox. Two decades ago for me was battle.net and Everquest and they didn’t have ads. Maybe for expansions or something. I think battle.net had a header with blizzard related stuff but I’ve ruined my long term memory.

Yeah that totally changes everything. :rolleyes:

It has only been 1.5 decades. Ads on the Quest 2 totally weren't inevitable or predictable because ads didn't appear on console dashboards until the first console with an internet connected updatable dashboard.

And yeah they totally weren't "plastered" because only sometimes did you have to close an advertisement before you could view any of your actual content, and advertisements were taking up less than 80% of the screen. You didn't literally have to use a chisel to remove the advertisements, you only had to push a button!

Are you guys twitter "Fact Checkers" or something?

I don't recall any advertising on either of those consoles back then. I believe the 360 was the first to do it.

no, decades would be two or more, as in 20+ years. 15 years is a decade and a half.
Some people can’t handle when the soapbox pedantics leave our hole.

Anything to defend Facebook for some people lol

Also the company couldn’t get away from this fast enough once made public.

no, decades would be two or more, as in 20+ years. 15 years is a decade and a half.

LMAO no.

It's 1 and a half decades. Not one and a half decade.

And I'm not defending Facebook. I'm pointing out how stupid you all are because you didn't see this coming and are acting all surprised like it's the end of the world.

I don't like advertisements either, but it was clearly inevitable and something we'll just have to deal with it.

LMAO no.

And I'm not defending Facebook. I'm pointing out how stupid you all are because you didn't see this coming and are acting all surprised like it's the end of the world.

I don't like advertisements either, but it was clearly inevitable and something we'll just have to deal with it.
no its 15 years, nobody says it like that and your semantic argument sucks ass.
blah blah blah, we know thanks.

LMAO no.

I must have missed the ads on my vive.

The people who sandbag for facebook and their shitty practices are the stupid ones.

Even the company agrees
https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/21/f...Dj3iIfZRUw42eLXV-tBpIjJq8puxDwU-gxXL8jcXUpExt

Back