Facebook announces ads in Oculus Headset

I always favored the Vive over the Oculus (though I own neither) so I probably wasnt going to get one anyway, but now I am pretty much guaranteed not to get one.

Ads suck. No one wants them. Ever.

In fact if I see an ad on any media or platform, I curse the company who paid for it, as now I know who is responsible for my misery, and I make a point out of avoiding their products.

If more people did the same we could disincentivize advertising permanently!

Insert Fry shocked gif here.
I liked it better when this was just a meme, not virtual reality. :borg:

aqKPMqp_700b.jpg

5djypv.jpg

For every "but Quest 2 is cheaper lol" argument in discussions about higher priced but more PC-centric headsets like Index or Reverb 2, there was the realization it's not an apples-to-apples comparison since one company was subsidizing the hardware to own your ass later.

This is also a bad look for the entire VR space, as casual observers see "advertisements" and "VR headsets" in a headline, forget the Facebook part and just assume it applies to VR universally.

Last edited:
why not just go for an implanted retina display that sends ads to your brain 24/7 to get the discounts the advertisers will offer you for having the implant installed? That way you can buy all the items you will never have a use for? You can clear out the garage (and basement if you have one) to create ample storage space.

Image1.jpg

why not just go for an implanted retina display that sends ads to your brain 24/7 to get the discounts the advertisers will offer you for having the implant installed? That way you can buy all the items you will never have a use for? You can clear out the garage (and basement if you have one) to create ample storage space.

View attachment 366889
They would but mom's friendly robot company owns those patents. :(

Futurama-eyephone_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For every "but Quest 2 is cheaper lol" argument in discussions about higher priced but more PC-centric headsets like Index or Reverb 2, there was the realization it's not an apples-to-apples comparison since one company was subsidizing the hardware to own your ass later.

This is also a bad look for the entire VR space, as casual observers see "advertisements" and "VR headsets" in a headline, forget the Facebook part and just assume it applies to VR universally.
Definitely a bad look if prospective VR buyers are suddenly put off making the purchase altogether. I think everyone here has probably bought something tech-related only to discover some sort of issue after the fact that didn't come up during their initial research (usually some sort of bizarre driver/hardware conflict you'd never think to search for).

For VR, it's a truly unique thing to buy - unless you've tried one somewhere you will kinda have to rely on reviews, forums, etc. It's also a technology that will likely require a bunch of extra investment in your other system hardware, your physical gaming space, VR peripherals, etc.; you're not just buying a game, you're making a decision to get into VR gaming. But I'll bet there are plenty of people here that actually considered buying this device at one point or another, and now many are thinking "glad I didn't invest in VR." Even if it's specific to Facebook, it's the sort of thing that will only serve to undermine the wider adoption of a tech that already has a number of stigmas from previous generations trying before the tech was ready.

Graphical display hardware supported by Facebook, a company that makes he bulk of its income from graphical advertising… And then we attached it to our face.

I mean, we knew nothing would go wrong with that, right?

Congrats on the Facebook ad facial.

Not a shocker. Once Facebook bought Oculus, we all knew it would happen.

I was leery of buying one because of Facebook. Now, there's absolutely no way I'm buying one. Vive is now my option, which is great. Facebook basically said "buy our competitors product". This move made that decision for me. Thanks, Facebook.

The moment Facebook got involved with Oculus, I tuned out. It was no longer something I was interested in. I went Vive.
Anyone that stopped and thought about it for 5 seconds knew where it was going to go, and only an idiot would not see where it was going once a Facebook account was required.
I am most likely an outlier though. The current phone gaming, free2play, pay2win, addware in everything generation is used to adds everywhere to the point they hardly even notice them. This is not going to be a deal breaker for them. This will have very little effect on VR adoption or continued use because too few will actually care about the ads. They put up with everything else to get here why not just one more little thing.

So, what is the next little thing going to be? Anyone wanna take a guess?
My guess is a further tightening of account requirements and forcing the tying of a CC to the account under the guise of "insuring no bogus account names are used", and then more small fees and subscriptions that one might just click yes on just to get back to their game. We will see.

I'll just say that while I initially went Rift CV1 back in 2016 because the HMD and Touch controllers were generally far better designed than what HTC was offering with the original Vive, I feel increasingly vindicated in switching over to a Valve Index last year, $1,000 hole in my wallet be damned.

It's a damn shame, and it's rather telling that nothing that Oculus has released since the CV1 has aimed at the high-end PCVR space like the Index, Reverb G2 and most Vive variants.

The VR market needs to grow, but without this kind of crap subsidizing it. I admit, costs are pretty high; Index being $1,000 itself for a full kit notwithstanding, there's some dreadfully unoptimized titles (No Man's Sky, DCS) that practically demand that you have at least an RTX 3080, and good luck buying one of those right now! But a violation of principle means a lot of people won't buy in at any price...

So is it possible that these ads are only appearing in "free" apps? Which is to say that happens anyway with mobile free aps, or is this like you login to your "Home space" within the headset and you start seeing ads playing on the walls of your virtual house and all that? Question is how intrusive will it be? I mean I don't think Facebook is so incredibly stupid that you are playing a Steam VR game or a game you already paid for and then throws up an ad. Yeah we all hate ads but this could be done in a non-too annoying way if it means they can keep the price of their headsets down. VR headsets after-all are just a intermediary device to access further content just like our phones. So the idea of a Facebook headset having ads... idk I think the outrage is likely overblown and won't be as blatantly "in your face" as most art reacting to this. From the sound of it a single game so far will have ads (likely a free game but idk), and a couple of the built-in Facebook-branded aps.

I'll be curious to see owners of Oculus headsets impressions about this after actually experiencing it.

So is it possible that these ads are only appearing in "free" apps? Which is to say that happens anyway with mobile free aps, or is this like you login to your "Home space" within the headset and you start seeing ads playing on the walls of your virtual house and all that? Question is how intrusive will it be? I mean I don't think Facebook is so incredibly stupid that you are playing a Steam VR game or a game you already paid for and then throws up an ad. Yeah we all hate ads but this could be done in a non-too annoying way if it means they can keep the price of their headsets down. VR headsets after-all are just a intermediary device to access further content just like our phones. So the idea of a Facebook headset having ads... idk I think the outrage is likely overblown and won't be as blatantly "in your face" as most art reacting to this. From the sound of it a single game so far will have ads (likely a free game but idk), and a couple of the built-in Facebook-branded aps.

I'll be curious to see owners of Oculus headsets impressions about this after actually experiencing it.
Don't try to redeem a turd.
Let's pretend that it won't be terribly obnoxious as you say. So what? They claim success. What happens next is that it becomes standard industry practice. Once, as they think, we become comfortable with a few ads in non-obtrusive places then it's time to push the limits to see where else these can be used.

View attachment 366889
Infosquitos
1624023783075.png

Don't try to redeem a turd.
Let's pretend that it won't be terribly obnoxious as you say. So what? They claim success. What happens next is that it becomes standard industry practice. Once, as they think, we become comfortable with a few ads in non-obtrusive places then it's time to push the limits to see where else these can be used.
It already becoming standard with some games. In last year's NBA game they had commercials playing during loading screens.

I always favored the Vive over the Oculus (though I own neither) so I probably wasnt going to get one anyway, but now I am pretty much guaranteed not to get one.

Ads suck. No one wants them. Ever.

In fact if I see an ad on any media or platform, I curse the company who paid for it, as now I know who is responsible for my misery, and I make a point out of avoiding their products.

If more people did the same we could disincentivize advertising permanently!

alright may be that is a little bit too much rofl. But ads definitely suck in wearable glasses I get your point.

Does not bother me just so long as it does not bother my game playing.

Ah, having gotten rid of facebook from my life........ :) (Oh, and Twitter, Instagram and so on......)

They were and it wasn't removed afaik and will return for the next one. Also it will make it in to their other sports games no doubt.
I can’t believe I have to say this but this is why EA coming back with NBA Live was awesome. Wow I just said awesome and EA in the same sentence Unironically.

Also the ads will become more pervasive. Those of you who are saying this isn’t a big deal— said it about forced Facebook integration— now about ads in a small portion. Facebook would like to thank you for not pushing back against this. You’ve already paid the retail price for the device. I’d love for Amazon to do that to my kindle.

It already becoming standard with some games. In last year's NBA game they had commercials playing during loading screens.

and people were/are angry about that too.

They were and it wasn't removed afaik and will return for the next one. Also it will make it in to their other sports games no doubt.

They are learning from Google and Facebook.

Make slow incremental changes. People will become upset, but as long as you stick to your guns, they will become used to it, and you get what you want anyway.

To them, the ability to sell ads in games long term is far more lucrative than the loss in sales short term by a few who protest...

That said, in an NBA game? I mean, have you seen any live sporting event on TV? Maybe ads in the game are an added element of realism? :p

I prefer to never see ads at all on any platform in any way, but I think there are ways to do it right, so it blends into the world of the game. I haven't played CyberPunk yet, but if in that universe there were a big coca cola billboard somewhere on the map, it might not seem out of place.

That said, if they are selling ads, i would expect the money I am paying for the game to go down. Way down.

If they add ads into the shop section, I do not mind. But the moment I see ads forcibly injected inside games is the moment I sell my Quest 2.

They are learning from Google and Facebook.

Make slow incremental changes. People will become upset, but as long as you stick to your guns, they will become used to it, and you get what you want anyway.

To them, the ability to sell ads in games long term is far more lucrative than the loss in sales short term by a few who protest...

That said, in an NBA game? I mean, have you seen any live sporting event on TV? Maybe ads in the game are an added element of realism? :p

I prefer to never see ads at all on any platform in any way, but I think there are ways to do it right, so it blends into the world of the game. I haven't played CyberPunk yet, but if in that universe there were a big coca cola billboard somewhere on the map, it might not seem out of place.

That said, if they are selling ads, i would expect the money I am paying for the game to go down. Way down.
You expect that but know they double down and force MT on you if you want any chance be competitive in online games.

Back