Facebook and twitter links on the front page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc3252

Gawd
Not that I have anything against social networking sites, but the current form on the front page looks a bit ridiculous. For example when I just loaded up the front page those links caught my attention instead of the article... Maybe a touch up on the color scheme would help, not really sure if that is the only problem though.

Wow, I just loaded the hardocp.com and saw this pile of hideous twitter and facebook links. It looks absolutely horrible. As it is I don't participate in social networking sites, and seeing the F and T buttons everywhere on the internet is annoying(it's clutter) but this just looks awful.

Stick the facebook and twitter links to the right, so they are in line with the link to the forum thread for the article(and it doesn't make the news post take up anymore room than it needs to), and then fix the color scheme of them. As it stands, it looks like you took whatever you think is the most awesome car with the best paintjob ever, then let a 10 year old go nuts on it with a bedazzler.

yeah what is the motivation behind them anyway...

i liked that this was my last oasis from the twitter links and myface crap... Now it has infected here too.

I agree, they're distracting and make the entire front page look like the site is pandering for desperate attention. Do you want to tweet this? Maybe... Facebook? ARE YOU SURE? WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE??!! CLIIIIIICK.

EDIT: I just used a custom Ad-Block filter to block both images, much better.

Logged into HardOCP and first thing I see are these links for Facebook and Twitter? What the HELL. That's the reason I go to HardOCP. To stay away from all the cheesy crap of other PC news sites.

I stay far away from the sophmoric conception of Facebook and Twitter. If I need to talk to my friends/family/buddies. I pick up the phone and call them. Yeah, call them on the phone. Who really cares that I just twitted about the new cute girl at starbucks.

I want the option to turn those OFF. Does HardOCP get any compensation for those links? I don't think so. Will it be easier to link articles to Facebook and Twitter? SO WHAT, any self-respected HardOCPer will know how to link.

Please, make it optional to have those links displayed. If you can not turn them off. "cough, cough" Please make them so small you actually need a maginfying glass to see them.

At least move them to the same line as the word Comments. There is no reason to waste the extra screen real estate. In addition, I think you could get by with just the website favicon. You really don't need the words. People that use those sites already know their site's favicon.

Thanks for that ad-block reference. I just disabled all the ads on Hardocp. No Newegg or whoever is the ad of the day. Sorry to block all ads, but they will need to change those links...

They look horrid, I can't imagine they're bringing in that much ad revenue, but if they are can we at least make them not so horrid looking? What the hell happened to just text links?

I think the smaller style buttons would look better but other than that it is fine.

I agree, the current buttons are rather annoying.
Like techie81 said smaller style buttons (the little F and T icons) would make a world of difference.
Thanks.

Logged into HardOCP and first thing I see are these links for Facebook and Twitter? What the HELL. That's the reason I go to HardOCP. To stay away from all the cheesy crap of other PC news sites.

Please, make it optional to have those links displayed. If you can not turn them off. "cough, cough" Please make them so small you actually need a maginfying glass to see them.

I agree. Those colors are extremely annoying and I do NOT forsee myself ever using them. I only have a FB profile to appease family and old college friends. I am sick of seeing the "Twitter" links everywhere as well.

This is a horrible disgrace.

Hey, give Kyle a break. It's something new that is probably being utilized to bring more traffic and ad-revenue to support the [H]. I agree it's a bit too "bold" in it's current form as it does detract from the look of the website. Something like this would be nicer and would still serve it's purpose.

HTwitter_Facebook.png

Stick the facebook and twitter links to the right, so they are in line with the link to the forum thread for the article(and it doesn't make the news post take up anymore room than it needs to),

How in the phuck does it take up more room, they are on the unused part of the line that displays the author and time posted?

I think the new buttons would be less distracting if the thick yellow borders around the Twitter/FB images were removed. I also like Not_So's alternative image suggestion above -- much less distracting.

The URL syntax for the FB link looks incorrect. The "u" parameter in the querystring has it's value placed before the equals sign instead of after the equals sign.

I think the new buttons would be less distracting if the thick yellow borders around the Twitter/FB images were removed. I also like Not_So's alternative image suggestion above -- much less distracting.
That's probably an oversight on his part. Image elements in anchor elements don't, by default, render with borders in WebKit browsers.

And, yeah, the parameters in the Facebook share URL are malformed. They lead to a "Enter a URL you would like to share." page as opposed to passing the current URL to their API.

Guys there is nothing wrong with adding more info and/or links to the homepage. Get the off the silly idealistic high horses.

The biggest problem is how they currently look. The people that have added constructive design feedback have the right idea. All the ideas together will probably give a good look:

Kill the yellow borders (the images were never designed for them)
Move them to the right. Just above the "posted by" line.
Play with the height to determine if it looks correct to be the same height as the "comments" line, if not, leave it below.

Guys there is nothing wrong with adding more info and/or links to the homepage. Get the off the silly idealistic high horses.

Looks like you're on your own silly idealistic high horse by telling people that your preference is the only correct one. Social network clutter is a plague.

Looks like you're on your own silly idealistic high horse by telling people that your preference is the only correct one. Social network clutter is a plague.
Poorly implemented social networking connections are bad, yes. Though the current implementation does not seem obnoxious, and there's been some constructive feedback thus far. So could you add some clarification to your assessment of this implementation, or at least share what idealistic high horse provides your blanket perspective on the subject matter?

Poorly implemented social networking connections are bad, yes. Though the current implementation does not seem obnoxious,*snip*

So could you add some clarification to your assessment of this implementation,*snip*

No. As you said, the current implementation does not seem obnoxious. My opinion is that it is, in fact, obnoxious. Any clarification beyond that is not the least bit useful because we've established that your stated opinion differs completely from mine. Given the nature of opinion, neither of us is more correct than the other unless we're a democracy where the majority carries weight when opinions differ, and this forum is not a democracy. It's all up to [H].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back