Face ID Tests Show Varying Results for Twins Using Facial Recognition

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Business Insider, Mashable, and The Wall Street Journal put Face ID to the test with identical twins and triplets: so far, it looks like a false match probability of 3 out of 4 (with extremely limited testing). To be fair, Apple had warned about such limitations with their new recognition system.

Is this a concern for you? For twins, this certainly seems like a downside compared to Touch ID (so hopefully you can trust your twin). iPhone X with Face ID hits stores this Friday when more customers will be able to give real world tests to the new facial recognition features.

To be fair what?
They have a headline security feature thats not just bad its bloody awful.
Its fair to say terrible show.

How many high security people actually use face or finger biomatrics to log in their phones computers? Sure it is more convenient but so much easier to get into then a simple 4 digit PIN. You can be knocked out or even killed and have your phone forcefully open. With a pin it is a lot harder. Even regular people that don't mean anything have stuff like nudie pictures on their phone that might not want to get out.

I use a complex long password and when I dont feel safe I power off and then it prompts.

Other wise it's a finger print at max sensitivity

Am I weird for not even using the lock screen features on my phone and not keeping sensitive/embarrassing things on it?

nope, only time i use lock screen/fingerprint is when i use my phone for satnav duties on my bike. i saw someones s4 (back when it was new) got ripped of a secure Ram mounts handle bar mount once.

Nearly the entirety of the user base is not worried about their phone being compromised.
Nobody is chopping off bobs finger, or head to see his fantasy football picks.
The security feature is designed to make it easier to log into your phone than say using a pin, while maintaining strong security.
The finger print sensor achieves this. It's actually superior in this regard in comparison to facial recognition.
Facial recognition was a gimmick all those years ago when it came out. It worked great, but you had to hold your phone at stupid angles every login. It turned out to be impractical in comparison to a well placed finger print sensor in the back (imo).

Will it do facial recognition in the dark or when I have the phone at an angle (i.e. not directly in front of my face)? How well does it work for women with and without makeup. Will it continue to work when I'm lazy and/or decide to grow my mustache or beard out? So many questions that were not answered by that silly Apple Esq video...

Back