FAA Warns More Drones Are Flying near Airports

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A newly released FAA report reveals that drone sightings are up: there were 1,274 reports of drones near airports versus just 874 for the same period in 2015. But while there is increased panic of drones colliding with planes, it’s the birds and hanging obstructions that continue to create the majority of problems. Apparently, there hasn’t been a single verified instance of a drone hitting an aircraft.

…while the FAA has received several reports from pilots that drones may have hit their aircraft, the administration was unable to verify any such claim. “Every investigation has found the reported collisions were either birds, impact with other items such as wires and posts, or structural failure not related to colliding with an unmanned aircraft,” the FAA said in a statement. The report is noteworthy given the fear many people have of drones crashing into planes and causing major catastrophes. Last April, for example, a British Airways pilot claimed a drone hit his plane during his landing at London's Heathrow Airport. While the drone incident led to stories in major news outlets like the BBC and the Guardian, a follow-up British government investigation found that the pilot had misidentified the object.

That is some scary stuff. I don't want to hear a drone getting sucked up in a jet turbine.

Modern jet turbines can take a lot more than a little piece of flimsy plastic. A bird has a lot more mass than a drone, and would do a lot more damage (but they're still designed to suck birds through as well).

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/how-ge-tests-jet-engines/

Nobody wants to test that in real life with passengers aboard. Over the life of the engine, many things can happen between HSI's. Not to mention it's not just passenger jets but also small business turbines, turboprops, and single/multi piston planes. All it takes is one "disaster" and drones become the new laser threat.

Simple truth. Only two people in the history of the world have been able to adequately rock the mullet, so unless your name is Chuck Norris or Angus Macgyver you need not apply. :)

Nobody wants to test that in real life with passengers aboard. Over the life of the engine, many things can happen between HSI's. Not to mention it's not just passenger jets but also small business turbines, turboprops, and single/multi piston planes. All it takes is one "disaster" and drones become the new laser threat.

Pay me enough and give me Sully as the pilot and I'll test it out.

Back