FAA Puts 30-Mile ‘No Drone Zone’ into Effect for Super Bowl

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What could possibly go wrong if 80K fans all decided to bring along their drones to possibly catch a bird’s eye view of the game from the stands? :eek: The FCC likes to go for the safe play and ban all drones within 30 miles of the stadium. The Super Bowl is a No Drone Zone and even made a video to emphasize their point.

You know what they say

You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with FAA regulations
:p

Can I have a 30 mile 'No Drone Zone' ban around my home for military drones only? Or is this a rich persons thing?

Can I have a 30 mile 'No Drone Zone' ban around my home for military drones only? Or is this a rich persons thing?

Military drones don't care about you. NSA drones don't care about you. CIA drones don't care about you. Homeland Security drones don't care about you.

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

The Super Bowl TFR is to keep asshats from distrupting the game, for millions of others, or hurting someone by being attention whores. FAA didn't make it because of social status.

BTW, IF military drones take an interest in you, it will most likely end with a boom. So I wouldn't worry. ;)

With the increase in drones due to the increasing affordability, any that violate my personal space will get a swat from my crowbar. I think they are neat toys, but pricks always find ways to turn neat toys into annoyances. I kind of want one to fly around as they appear easier to operate than the RC controlled mini planes, but I would make sure to respect privacy and personal space.

Military drones don't care about you. NSA drones don't care about you. CIA drones don't care about you. Homeland Security drones don't care about you.
How do you know? What if I said I don't like the NSA or CIA or DHS too many times online? What if, I'm 'the list'! :p

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."
I am, my Mom told me so. She always told me I was so special and that was why the school insisted they put me into special ed. They gave me stickers.

The Super Bowl TFR is to keep asshats from distrupting the game, for millions of others, or hurting someone by being attention whores. FAA didn't make it because of social status.
30 miles? 30 MILES? How big is the stadium? Is it 30 miles big?

BTW, IF military drones take an interest in you, it will most likely end with a boom. So I wouldn't worry. ;)
Or, one could mess up and crash into my house as they test them out in my county. The airport is like a 10 minute drive from my house. So like one or two minutes flight time. Now if they started letting me fly one from my living room once in awhile it wouldn't bother me so much. I'd bomb some 'terrorists' (AKA any male 18 and above in the wrong place) if they paid me to do it and let me do it from my living room, on the weekends.

I can understand the no drone zone, but 30 miles seems a bit excessive.

It's 30 nautical miles because the TFR includes aircraft and helicopters as well. Pretty standard for high profile events, ie: President/Vice President visits, World Series, political conventions, etc.

Good luck with that when a drone is pretty much limited to line of sight for high end remotes, meaning a guy two blocks away on a building top could do a capture themselves

Also lets face it for what this is: Don't try to record the game.

Pretty ridiculous...I live within 12mi of the stadium, and I can't even hear the noise.
I don't even really care about the teams either & had no intention to watch the game on TV either.
So I can't enjoy teaching my kids about mini helos?
Pathetic

The ban affects all aircraft. With all the agricultural land surrounding the stadium, I only hope the patrolling F-16s don't blast some poor crop duster who didn't get the memo.

Perhaps more to the point, any 'smart' drone can be programmed to fly a fixed route. There may be one stashed in a field a few miles away, timer running, just waiting to fly a pre-programed route and 'mission.' (Hopefully doing nothing nasty!)

What i find funny is that they're not just using the generic quadcopter silhouette for the logo. It's a Phantom silhouette :D

Back