F@H windows 98 timeless wu?

Rustedimpala

Limp Gawd
Hi yall, I picked up an old dell last night a friend found in their garage. Anyways, I put a fresh install of win98se on it and installed the fah console for win98. Is there anyway to set timeless wu's? Its only a 200mhz pentium. Its slow.. and it downloaded a 2500000 step p1416_polyQ_beta-helix (Gromacs core?). Its not going to finish that anytime soon. Do I need to go to a different OS? I can do linux or maybe win2000pro if I can find more ram. It only has 64megs. It seems to run fin with 98 though. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to the [H]orde!!

Dude, it's not the OS that is hindering the speediness of the client in folding that WU. What is hindering the speed at which the client folds is .... your PENTIUM class 200mhz cpu. To fold faster, you need a faster CPU.

There is a sweet spot which is generally accepted by the experienced folders around here, and it is a 2 GHZ AMD chip. Sweet spot means acceptable points per week for the cost of the electricity that is required.

If I recall correctly, Stanford has a benchmark of a 2.8 ghz Pentium 4 class CPU. That is how they determine deadlines for the completion of the WUs.

There is a way to configure the folding client to accept timeless WU's and if you search the FAQ's at the top of the forum, there is a lot of information there to guide you. In addition, there is also the www.hardfolding.com website, which is our team's website.

Glad to have you on board!

GwilyaGwees

Dude, it's not the OS that is hindering the speediness of the client in folding that WU. What is hindering the speed at which the client folds is .... your PENTIUM class 200mhz cpu. To fold faster, you need a faster CPU.

Yeah I know its slow. LOL! Ive got a 333mhz folding timeless wu's. It takes a few days. But it gets em done. Free computers are cool. Anyways, Ive googled and searched and read everything and cannot figure out how to configure the console for win98 to do timeless work units. I know it will fold a small wu in a couple days, better than nothing.

Im saving my money to upgrade whats in my sig to an A64 3700+ my xp3200 will then go to full time folding. I'll put the 3700 to work too.

Don't you just start it with the -config flag and set the no deadline option under the advanced options? I don't know how much different the Win98 client is these days since it's been a while since I used Win98 for folding, but that's where it is in the NT/2000/XP client. If you still can't figure it out, I'll try to find a 98 computer and give it a try.

Ill try to look at my 150mhz beast this weekend and see too about this, i think the only way i can get the 1ppw out of it is to run timeless..

Mattman said:
Don't you just start it with the -config flag and set the no deadline option under the advanced options? I don't know how much different the Win98 client is these days since it's been a while since I used Win98 for folding, but that's where it is in the NT/2000/XP client. If you still can't figure it out, I'll try to find a 98 computer and give it a try.

Unfortunately that isn't an advanced option for the F@H v4 console. I took a look at it, and it appears that the only advanced option that deals with time is the ability to ignore the system clock.

isn't there an option for G@H units in the v4 client? I think those are the "timeless" WUs....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

OSUguy98 said:
isn't there an option for G@H units in the v4 client? I think those are the "timeless" WUs....

Yeah, that's one of the first options they provide you with.

I quit folding with two of my boxen because they were too slow and were returning WUs late (800 MHz Athlon and 1 gig Athlon). The 800 Athlon runs Win98se and the 1 gig runs Linux. If there is a way to do something worthwhile, I'd like to know so I can get them back to folding for the team. I figure something is better than nothing.

OSUguy98 said:

Maybe I should try G@H. Im not sure the old Dell 200mhz is even worth fooling with. I just figured I would put it too work since its just sitting here. At least until I can find someone that needs a really cheap pc. :D

You can put those slower machines to work on the [H] sanctioned UD Team.. If I remember correctly it doesn't matter how long it takes to turn in work units for that project. I still run it on an old k6-2 450 and a celery 500...

Wombat said:
I quit folding with two of my boxen because they were too slow and were returning WUs late (800 MHz Athlon and 1 gig Athlon). The 800 Athlon runs Win98se and the 1 gig runs Linux. If there is a way to do something worthwhile, I'd like to know so I can get them back to folding for the team. I figure something is better than nothing.
What?
I just swapped out a 1Ghz Duron for a 1.8Ghz CPU last week. The Duron had processed about 320 WU since I had last changed the .cfg file.
It had routinely been running through WU with a 94% performance fraction. Sure it was only crankin' about 30ppd, but that was 30 more than zero.
Seems like 1Ghz Athlon would meet deadlines easily.
/edit - that Duron only had 256mb also.
Also to upgrade it to an 1800 I just had to take out the CPU and replace it, just a 10 minute drop in.

Wombat said:

I'm running a 1 Ghz Duron that has never turned in a WU anywhere near late. I have it running bigpackets and is currently chewing through a 364 point Gromac and handles the 600 pointers with no trouble. This is all on WinXP with 256 meg of RAM. The system is on 24/7 and doesn't normally see a whole lot of use but it never has any trouble.

no way your 800MHz and 1GHz machines were late. none at all. i call shens.

to original poster: try Damn Small Linux, it's a 50MB OS that only has a 24MB memory overhead! it'll go great for your older pentium!

There's got to be something wrong if an 800+ MHz folder that's running 24/7 doesn't return WU's on time. I think you have to move down to the 500 MHz range before you start missing deadlines.

The only way I can see for a 800 Mhz box to miss the deadline would be to run with thr SSE boost turned off.
That would slow it down to half speed.
But even running at an efective speed of 400 Mhz it should make the deadline if its a pure folding box.

Luck.......... :D

ByteDown[H]ard said:
You can put those slower machines to work on the [H] sanctioned UD Team.. If I remember correctly it doesn't matter how long it takes to turn in work units for that project. I still run it on an old k6-2 450 and a celery 500...

I joined the [H] UD team and put UD on the 200mhz pentium. I'll let it run for a week or so and see what it can do. It looks like it will be a little more productive running UD than F@H from what I read. Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to add that they weren't running 24/7. This is why I was turning in late WUs. I guess I either leave it on all the time or look for something else to run on it.

Wombat said:
Sorry, I forgot to add that they weren't running 24/7. This is why I was turning in late WUs. I guess I either leave it on all the time or look for something else to run on it.
I thought we figured out that you can configure it for genome WU's? If you pick the genome option, you'll be OK on time no matter what. Or does that not work? Don't make me go find a Win98 machine to figure this out! :)

My 200mhz Dell finally finished a wu for UD. Im waiting for the points to be uploaded. It only took 6 Days, 13h 3m and 38s to finish! LOL!! Better than nothing! 1326 points though. Is that good?

Back