F@H slows PC to a halt

HalOfBorg

Weaksauce
Recently installed win7 64bit. Installed fah-installer_7.1.52_x86.

After maybe a minute running, the PC grins to a near halt. Even the mouse is sluggish. Pause F@H and all is good again.

Any advice on what to adjust? How to do it?

I believe v7 defaults to CPU and GPU folding enabled.

"Note: Express Install (GPU & SMP) will automatically install one or more client slots to match the computer hardware detected. If multiple CPU cores are detected, an SMP slot is installed, otherwise a Uniprocessor slot is installed as the fall back option. If one or more GPUs are detected, one or more GPU slots are also installed automatically. If neither multicores or GPU are detected, a Uniprocessor slot is installed by default."
link

Could be a thermal throttle on the CPU... what cooler? how dusty?

Xeon processor, stock cooler, but no dust - I blow out any dust once a month with canned air.

Don't make faces at me for the stock cooler - the highest level gaming this PC gets is Enemy Territory.

No faces.....

Just the default is to ramp both the CPU and the GPU to 100%

Try just CPU and see if that helps. If not we need to go in and run the CPU at 75% or so. Any way to check temp on the CPU while folding?

I don't have a CPU temp utility.

"Try just CPU and see if that helps." - sounds good to me. And this is done how? I've installed it on my work PC to test (no slowdown, Win7 32bit) and can't find the option to turn GPC/CPU on/off. (unless it's part of the SLOTS options with -1)

Within FAHControl, you should see all of your slots. Right click on the one you want to change and you can pause it by clicking on "Pause". When you want to restart it, you can right click on the slot again and click "Fold".

all of which are FREE..... so the price is right, get yourself some temp monitoring software

Back