F@H Questions 7.1.52_x86 + BF3

teletran8

2[H]4U
What really increases PPD the most generally speaking a generational CPU upgrade or a generational GPU upgrade?

I have a lot of fun playing BF3, and a GPU and CPU upgrade for F@H and BF3 interests my mind a lot. I would like to work in the medical field someday myself and helping cancer and Alzheimer research for Stanford University falls in line with these goals as well.

I Downloaded latest client last nite after an intense BF3 session. As you can see, I like the changes made to the F@H client. (it is VERY USER FRIENDLY unlike the past versions imho) Anyhow my system is a AMD Rana X4 @ 3.875 GHz. DDR3 @ 1666, and I have been running my 560ti @ 920MHz Core. (Because it keeps it under 80* degrees which I prefer, CPU runs @ 70*) I'm right around 20k PPD with this setup I'm led to believe. Here is a picture of it running. FYI PPD estimation is listed near bottom left hand corner of the F@H client in picture/screenshot.

a1lan5.png

I would like to know what CPU/GPU setup would double the PPD? (From 20kPPD -> 40kPPD score)

Also what about just putting in a 680GTX vs the 560Ti I currently have? How much should PPD increase with my setup just updating the GPU? My 560Ti runs BF3 between 60-90fps fully maxed out setting on my screen which is a 720p resolution capable of 120HZ. So more FPS would be noticeable there also, better minimums and better highs. (Its memory usage even peaked usage around 1750MB memory! I've never seen BF3 use so much memory usually 1200-1500 anyhow....)

Likewise just a CPU recommendation is important, because it would increase F@H performance and BF3 performance from what I've been hearing? Another important feature from the CPU would be lowering (full load temps) from F@H CPU temps because I am right at the thermal threshold for my setup, but it runs no problem. It just increases the rooms temperature obviously. So a CPU that would lower current temp noticeably, and get 2x PPD or close would be nice option if avalable. Any CPU's on the market today for this combination of goals, better BF3 gaming and cooler+more PPD in F@H? Any ideas with links/pictures to prove performance that's what I would like to find? Anyone have a setup similar to mine running F@H on Windows with a more modern CPU and/or GPU that can screenshot it so I can compare its estimated PPD figures here @ [H] I hope?

My BF3 temps are around 60* on the CPU when loaded, and F@H is around 70* on the CPU when loaded. What temperature is an Ivy Bridge Quad core run @ full load with F@H for instance, what is the PPD?

Like I stated earlier...What really increases PPD the most generally speaking a generational CPU upgrade or a generational GPU upgrade?

Please don't flame my post I just simply want to be more educated on this topic for my next system upgrade planning, tia.

To start with go to the upper right hand corner where it says novis and switch that to expert, you may like that view better (more info) in expert view.

As far as the PPD goes with a 680 vs 560 it is hard to say currently fah is not optimised for fermi and the 680 actually gets less PPD than a 580 the last I heard, my 580 gets around 24,000 PPD vs somewhere around 17,000 PPD I believe for a 680 card. I could be wrong about the 680 PPD but I believe that is what I have read.

As far as CPU upgrade goes you are fairly limited there a Phenom II X6 would be about your best bet there and you should see somewhere around a 40% to 50% increase in your PPD due to the qrb.

A phenom x6 will give 9-12k PPD at stock clocks in windows whilst feeding a gpu, which would give you 25-30k, for 40k you need to get an i7 cpu & mobo

As a gamer, likely your best choice is upgrade via SLI. If you can run SLI mode with your motherboard and PSU, I'm thinking the best bang for the buck is with an additional GTX 560 Ti. Your mileage is going to vary on the WU projects, the recent batch of p8008 and p8009 are ~20% undervalued compared to some other projects for example.

Grandpa is correct, that the FAH client haven't been optimized for the new 600 series cards yet (it currently in the works, without an ETA). As you likely know, the 600 series have a radical different architecture with 3x core counts at slower clock speeds, we really don't know how well it will do at folding. You could always wait and see.

You also have the option to just add another video card if you have the pci-e slot. You don't have to use the same one or setup the SLI bridge. This doesn't do anything for your gaming. I'd suggest GTX 460 (EVGA Store has a B-Stock for $89, or Ebay for $75ish) will get you ~16K PPD increase.

Just a further note for clarification... SLI (or Crossfire for that matter) will only be a benefit in gaming. When folding, each card is treated as a separate device regardless of whether SLI (or Crossfire) is enabled or disabled.

Back