F@H, Large Work Units for Server-class Available Now

Linden

[H]ard|Gawd
Projects 8106, 8107, and 8108, are available now. Three of my machines have downloaded one of these work units. 450-500KPPD on my machines. Same power consumption as the former BigAdv projects 8102, 8103, 8104, and 8108.

I'm just going to call these "Large Work Units."

Anyway, take a look here at Dr. Kasson's thread.

"new project on full: 8106
8107 and 8108 on beta shortly."

Posted in this thread, earlier today.

So... another lie, another misdirection and another pile of crap. Amusing.

I was hoping this thread could simply be an observation of what's available now for a certain class of machines, and not just another one of many let's-rant-about-Pande-Group threads.

PG may deserve all the heat we've given them, but please, can we have one F@H thread without all the emotion?

Last edited:
It has been so long since I Folded that I had to go back and look up what my 4P (6180 SEs) used to produce on a Bigadv. The last one I did was an 8103 that took 15.6hrs and netted 394K in points (or ~607K PPD). With your ~500K PPD on these new "large" units, it looks like maybe Bigadv-lite. :D

I see that you have some servers too, so it must be good to see that they are not relegated to standard SMP WUs. Even though I don't Fold, I'm interested in reading about what you are finding. Thanks.

Last edited:
it looks like maybe Bigadv-lite
Actually, these seem to be a little higher than the "slow" ('BigAdv') project 8101, but lower than the other, later units - 8102, 8103, and 8104.

Update: My comments concerning 8108's performance stands; but now the machines are Folding 8106s, which are more productive (PPD) on my 4P hardware than anything before.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm actually seeing higher PPD than Bigadv with my 2P 2670 and an 8106. 414k PPD (8106) vs 370k PPD max (8103/8105).

So... another lie, another misdirection and another pile of crap. Amusing.

Exactly. PG, Vajay, Kassan, and everyone can still go f*ck themselves. They made their bed and they can f*cking sleep in. I will not EVER contribute another CPU/GPU cycle to their cause.

For those of us not in the know, is there a link or summary somewhere to find out what PG, Vajay, Kassan, and everyone did? It's been a long time since I have folded since it seemed to die out, so I'm just wondering what this is all about?

Actually, these seem to be a little higher than the "slow" ('BigAdv') project 8101, but lower than the other, later units - 8102, 8103, and 8104.
Yes, 8101s were always the "dogs" of Bigadvs in production. Like a bulldog, once they latched onto your rig, they could hold on and deliver one after another for days and weeks.

What I find interesting about this whole thing is that PG felt that it was still necessary to cater to larger processing type rigs. When all of us (and some direct to Dr. Pande) were trying to get them to reconsider/modify their Bigadv decision, it was largely unproductive. Now, after all the angst that was produced and loss of Folders, they keep it going in a different form. Maybe they finally had to admit that killing the idea of Bigadv wasn't such a good thing.

At any rate, there are still people that want to Fold regardless of what happened in the past. Folding is still a valid scientific endeavor, the group behind it just never understood how to manage donors (especially the Folding enthusiasts). Still I like to stay tuned to what is happening and as with Crunching hope that great cures come from it.

At any rate, there are still people that want to Fold regardless of what happened in the past. Folding is still a valid scientific endeavor, the group behind it just never understood how to manage donors (especially the Folding enthusiasts). Still I like to stay tuned to what is happening and as with Crunching hope that great cures come from it.

+1. I don't care for how they've treated the Folding community, but I like their research efforts and believe the science is the real reason to Fold, not just the points. Will I go back to Folding? Not sure at the moment, but I'd like to give MtnDuey a run for his money. :cool:

I didn't see this in the folding forums thread but what do I need to change in this entry for my config.xml?

<client-type v='bigadv'/>

I see where this thread may go. I am going to step in now and say: Any bashing of PG or F@H will not be accepted. Go ahead and do that if you feel like it in another thread where it has happened before, leave this one for info...

This news may make me do a bit of F@H in between WCG stints.

What I find interesting about this whole thing is that PG felt that it was still necessary to cater to larger processing type rigs.

He only cares about numbers... Has said that repeatedly and claimed to see output growing rather than shrinking and expected that to continue without Bigadv folders.
Seems he was wrong... Meh Crunch on.

They did say there would be potential to have a replacement class... So I wouldn't be so bold as to say this new class is a complete reversal as they built in the ability to flipflop.

I didn't see this in the folding forums thread but what do I need to change in this entry for my config.xml?

<client-type v='bigadv'/>

That will get you P8106. <client-type v='bigbeta'/> will get P8106, P8108 and when released P8107 but FWIW the bigbeta flag is only officially supported for PG approved testers. (;);))

bigadv will get the 8106 but not the 8108 you need bigbeta for 8108

12:37 <@Grandpa_01> It appears I am going to gain about 1,000,000 PPD running them*
*) across seven big boxes -- ed.

If that doesn't make you LOL, I don't know what does!

bigadv will get the 8106 but not the 8108 you need bigbeta for 8108
Not so fast there, Slick! :) Scuttlebutt (sorry, no link) is that core count from the client functions as a cue to the assignment server(s). If I recall correctly, at the time when my farm downloaded 8108s yesterday, three machines were configured with "large packets", "-smp," and "-bigadv," but one computer was configured without -bigadv, just large packets and -smp. Grandpa, I did not have "-bigbeta" set on any of my folders; heck I'd even forgotten about that flag until your post.

BTW, I think we should call these new series "many-core" projects, which is what Peter Kasson called them when he officially introduced them; or perhaps just call them "A5" after the core.

Last edited:
...when my farm downloaded 8108s yesterday...

According to Joe_H, 8108 is set on the WS incorrectly. While listed as a beta project in Kasson's thread, it currently appears on both psummary and psummaryB and is set to go out to a minimum of 24 cores. Because of this, you can receive 8108 without using a beta flag until the WS is fixed.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll add -bigbeta to all the clients as a just in case.

I have bigbeta on 3 rigs and bigadv on 4 the only one of mine that has received a 8108 was running the bigbeta flag, but from what Linden noted it appears that the bigbet flag is not necessary.

thanks for the info all

Almost all of my boxen are 2x E5-2660's so 32 threads to work with and seem to be running the new WU's just fine with the bigadv flag kept on.

You think it's worth jumping to bigbeta on those or do they not have enough threads & horsepower to make it worthwhile?

Is anybody not seeing points credit for these new units? My 4P is on it's fourth 8106 unit and I've not seen any credit show up in my standings for any of them yet? Not sure what the problem is so I thought maybe someone else is experiencing the same issue.

Ax

Kasson has halted assigning out these projects until they can fix the points issue

And also reduce the PPD down to the levels they had originally intended.

This is somewhat reletive to my interests...mainly so we can troll EVGA, take them over, and then just rage quit again and let them take candy from a sleeping baby.

/stir stir stir

:D

And also reduce the PPD down to the levels they had originally intended.

Yes, can't allow a redux of Bigadv...even if it is by mistake.

@Scotty...:D...good to see that you haven't lost your touch. A fresh round of "Bigadvism" wakes the dead. :eek:

Nyah... I folded my last WU when the dead date for BIGADV was met. Haven't folded since. Don't plan to... don't want to.

Hi everyone, just wondering more about these, and the client needed.

Is my SR-2 hexs qualifying for these, and what client is needed.
I have not touched my SR-2 in the last year except for a few reboots, so I'm not even sure my client is even up to date.

Any help?

I hope they fix this soon and bring back the new WU's, this SMP only is crap for points

I hope they fix this soon and bring back the new WU's, this SMP only is crap for points

They will probably still nuke the points, as is their way.
They want the emphasis to be on gpu and the points will reflect that.

Hi everyone, just wondering more about these, and the client needed.

Is my SR-2 hexs qualifying for these, and what client is needed.
I have not touched my SR-2 in the last year except for a few reboots, so I'm not even sure my client is even up to date.

Any help?

AFAIK 24 threads is the minimum requirement, once they get rereleased give it a go. They will work with the v6 SMP client but v7 is currently on 7.4.4

AFAIK 24 threads is the minimum requirement, once they get rereleased give it a go. They will work with the v6 SMP client but v7 is currently on 7.4.4

Thanks, i'm on v6 *nix and only started regular smp yesterday, so i'm looking forward to them.

Edit

Picked one up, 17:30 tpf @3.1Ghz hexs

Last edited:
They will probably still nuke the points, as is their way. They want the emphasis to be on gpu and the points will reflect that.
I believe it's already happened; but I've only seen a report from one person. His results showed that an 8106 was at about the same production level on his machine as a standard SMP work unit. I don't know, as I have not been able to download any of the new WUs since Kasson pulled them back, pending further preparation.

Picked one up, 17:30 tpf @3.1Ghz hexs
What flags did you have set? Anyone else picked up one of the new units with adjusted K factor? I'm just getting an endless stream of standard SMP units.

Back