F@H [H]ard Box Contest

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
I've given the next contest quite a bit of thought....
I have sitting here a 16 thread 2P box that has been mashed together by the donations of many [H]orde members. Now how should I go about using it to promote the [H]orde?

Here is what we are going to do:

We will have a folding lotto like we have had in the recent past. However, the lotto is not for the box, but for the POINTS of the box for the next 3 months. Every 3 months we will pull a new winner. And that person gets some extra sharp mower blades to mow all those people that are on their takeover list.
DeFex and dwdawg have agreed to add $50 each so the total is a $100 Newegg Gift Card to the 1st place winner as well!

Now thanks to lilfiend we have a $25 2nd prize!
(If anyone wants to donate a few bucks to help cover the cost of this it would be helpful, or even make the cash prize larger, send me a PM if interested.)

Nice part is, you don't have to pay for the electric :cool: (I will cover it)

I plan on getting the box up and running in the next few days and will update this post with the PPD for the box.

If this works out, I think it could be a bunch of fun!

So post your badge here to enter the folding contest. (How to get your badge) You must have a 4k PPD Average for team 33 and be a consistent folder up to the drawing time to win. Registration will end December 10th.

Winner will be drawn just after New Years and then will enjoy 3 months of PPD goodness.

Questions post in this thread.

Contest rules are subject to change by myself or Kyle.

Not sure how to fold? it is easier than ever! http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1550668

Last edited:
Can we just update your title to [H]ardest DC'er Evar ?

Awesome idea, Kendrak!

Just as a point of contention, is someone able to win back to back contests for the points of this box? If so, what is to stop them from just using the box's points to enter the next contest? It almost sounds like there would need to be a 1 month "Kendrak point month" in between 3 month periods of contest winner points if that's an issue.

Maybe I'm just thinking too hard :( Either way, I love this team :D

Awesome idea, Kendrak!

Just as a point of contention, is someone able to win back to back contests for the points of this box? If so, what is to stop them from just using the box's points to enter the next contest? It almost sounds like there would need to be a 1 month "Kendrak point month" in between 3 month periods of contest winner points if that's an issue.

Maybe I'm just thinking too hard :( Either way, I love this team :D

Assuming the drawing is random, the odds of that happening aren't too high. In either case, you could just subtract the average points of the box from the current winner when checking eligibility.

Just an Update:

DeFex is awesome and threw in another $50.

So $100 to the winner!

This does seem like a good idea to make sure the points stay in the horde. Hopefully it doesn't cause any drama if there is any down time (hard to complain if you're not even paying the utilities, but people love to complain). Great job Kendrak and everyone else who contributed (DeFex and the anonymous donors).

This does seem like a good idea to make sure the points stay in the horde. Hopefully it doesn't cause any drama if there is any down time (hard to complain if you're not even paying the utilities, but people love to complain). Great job Kendrak and everyone else who contributed (DeFex and the anonymous donors).

As far as down time, we sould be set and forget......

That said, if points need to be made up..... there is always my 4p ;)

You posted in GenMay? I hope you washed. I don't want to lose my new hero to whatever you would get reading that... (mostly kidding)
Seriously, if I had a sister I would hook you up! (for homework and cleaning of course, this isn't GenMay).

Last edited:
It is quite simple. Load F@H up on your GPU and or your CPU (A 8800GT/Q6600 or higher is enough to qualify)

I have an i3-370m which is newer gen but is weaker than an Q6600, will that do?
I also have a Radeon HD 5650 in there too.

I have an i3-370m which is newer gen but is weaker than an Q6600, will that do?
I also have a Radeon HD 5650 in there too.

You can give it a try and get back to us. Is this a laptop? I personally would not recomend folding on a laptop due to the stress folding puts on it. My core 2 duo laptops got mighty toasty, and almost hot enough to damage them.

Can we just update your title to [H]ardest DC'er Evar ?

I think the world of kendrak, but until he manages a couple labs with thousands of single processor folders, FLECOM will retain his title :)

Ah fine. Just putting it out there.

Plus - someone was talking about genmay earlier, so I had to dirty this thread up a bit. Plus, your PPD is extremely sexy.

Damn I would love to win a dual processor system (even if for only 3 months), or that newegg card (I would save it to pony up for the next nVidia card or an Ivy Bridge i7 for my system.) Will post my badge up in that thread. Always awsome stuff here. I just cracked the 300 mark on the team this year, I'm on track to break the 200 mark by the end of the year, but I think to break the 100 mark on this team I will need stronger hardware.

Last edited:
This is a great idea for a contest. Not sure if I'll be entering but thanks to the sponsors for their generosity!

Folding as: VeritableHero

Last edited:
dwdawg has decided to cover the other $50 for the giveaway!

Lets give both him and DeFex a big thank you for making this team the [H]ardest around!

Hmm. I wonder, you mention plans to have "Every 3 months we will pull a new winner" as a potential ongoing prize where the winner has the rig folding in their name. Would it be a consideration to have registrations for that prize be open to any regular folders? I put up 1-2k per day average; due to budget limitations (electricity) I can't fold on my sig rig but keep it going at work.

I wouldn't feel entitled to winning a gift card since I think that's a fantastic reward for those that invest more money into this. However, I would love to have a fancy rig folding in my name for a three month period since I know my normal contribution is modest.

Just a thought! I'll keep folding regardless. :cool:

The reason we chose 4k is that it is a fairly easy number to hit with todays hardware. You can hit that running SMP part time on your CPU. Running part time on your GPU would also do it as well. You wouldn't need to light up the whole system.

My guess is about $5 a month for some part time folding on CPU and $10 for full time. That assumes 150 watts extra and $.10 per kwh.

We know there are only a few of us nutz enough to doubble the power bill.

Just as an FYI, we are back to 780 active folders!

Fold on [H]orde!

Kendrak, have you figured out what the PPD is on that beast? I signed up, because I need some mower blades to help move up the list a little faster as I'm starting to hit a wall with my current hardware in my F@H box (only get a spot or maybe 2 per day).

I was able to steal a bit of time this evening and got F@H installed. It is crunching a 6903 now... I will post when it is a few frames in.

Edit: Well, with the first frame taking 41:35, it seems the rig will pull close to 99k ppd.

I will post in the morning what it looks like after a night of folding.

Last edited:
I was able to steal a bit of time this evening and got F@H installed. It is crunching a 6903 now... I will post when it is a few frames in.

Edit: Well, with the first frame taking 41:35, it seems the rig will pull close to 99k ppd.

I will post in the morning what it looks like after a night of folding.

Wow! That's some major PPD. It's gonna make some great mower blades for whoever wins.

Pm sent to kendrak about possibly adding a dota 2 beta key as a prize. (If it's still good by the end of the contest)

Back