F.E.A.R. 3 is out!

I will buy a copy when the price drops, or steam offers a sale. F.E.A.R. was amazing and I just got through re-playing it. Have not tried any of the expansions or or other F.E.A.R. games just yet.

Well here is IGN review of FEAR 3…

CLOSING COMMENTS
I really like F.E.A.R. 3. While it’s an experience that’s far from flawless, it’s one of those games that still gives you a lot of bang for your buck. And that’s perhaps what impresses me most. Sure, there are better shooters on the market in terms of gameplay, setting and story, but very few of them give you so many reasons to keep coming back. From the single- player campaign that can be played through twice with two different characters to the co-op campaign that you can play through with a friend locally or online to an incredibly thoughtful multiplayer offering, F.E.A.R. 3 has a lot going for it.

Whether you’re looking for a new, solid shooter to play or something set in a unique, horror-filled atmosphere, F.E.A.R. 3 has something for you. You won’t find the be-all, end-all shooter experience with F.E.A.R. 3, but you’re still bound to have a lot of fun.

IGN RATINGS FOR F.E.A.R. 3 (X360)

8.0 Presentation
F.E.A.R. 3 is a horror game for horror fans, with plenty of scares and frights to psychologically taunt you.

7.5 Graphics
A mildly dated-looking game, F.E.A.R. 3 still looks really good, and for the most part runs smoothly.

8.0 Sound
I wasn’t blown-away by the voice acting, but there were certainly times when I was totally floored by the ambient sound effects and scary music.

8.0 Gameplay
If you play a lot of shooters, F.E.A.R. 3 won’t strike you as a mechanically different game than many other FPS titles. Yet, its combination of basic mechanics with F.E.A.R.-like additions works well.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
F.E.A.R. 3 is huge. A 7-8 hour solo campaign can be beaten with two characters. Then, there’s co-op and multiplayer. And earning high scores. There’s a lot to do here.

Final score

I should have my copy later today. Amazon had a great deal I couldn't turn down. They had the same price as Steam, free release day delivery, and $20 off on my next purchase there.

Looking forward to it. :)

I should have my copy later today. Amazon had a great deal I couldn't turn down. They had the same price as Steam, free release day delivery, and $20 off on my next purchase there.

Looking forward to it. :)

Yeah........I bit on that too.....plus I had 10 dollars from buying the craptastic DukeNukemForever so I made out pretty well.

I read the IGN review. Game sounds pretty good, although it was reviewed on the PS3 and not a PC version.

Nice that you can play through as the soldier and then again as Fettle. Should be interesting.

Will be nice to play something new and from this decade. Duke gave me a headache afte r 20 minutes and I quit playing and went back to DeadSpace2.:eek:

Yeah........I bit on that too.....plus I had 10 dollars from buying the craptastic DukeNukemForever so I made out pretty well.

I read the IGN review. Game sounds pretty good, although it was reviewed on the PS3 and not a PC version.

Nice that you can play through as the soldier and then again as Fettle. Should be interesting.

Will be nice to play something new and from this decade. Duke gave me a headache afte r 20 minutes and I quit playing and went back to DeadSpace2.:eek:

I'm a big fan of the series. I didn't hate 2 like other people did. If the game is at least as good if not better than 2 then I'll be very happy.

I'm a big fan of the series. I didn't hate 2 like other people did. If the game is at least as good if not better than 2 then I'll be very happy.

Me too. I thought FEAR2 was pretty good. I thought Extraction Point was more action than 2, but 2 was OK, and parts were very cool.....those zombie guys with the red cords that shot out at you were just plain cool.

Looking forward to playing tonight after work.:D

the first game was pretty good, and even though it was geared as a horror game I thought it only had a little bit of horror element to it. fear 2 from my understanding was more so action and less cheap scares and horror.

I've been wanting a game that really draws me in and spooks ya kinda like the original redisent evils, and silent hill games.

For thos who played Fear 3, is this more action or kinda like the first one with a little more scare to it? Or (hopefully) scarrier than either of the two?

I've played the game for about and hour and I have to say that I'm very impressed. The devs did a great job w/ the enemy AI, feel of the weapons, combat/cover system (lean is back!) Graphics look great and the story seems to be moving along nicely.

Unfortunately, there are no quicksaves and there seem to be some performance issues with Nvidia's latest drivers. I've yet to fire up MP, I plan on finishing the SP campaign first w/ Pointman then Fettel later.

I've played the game for about and hour and I have to say that I'm very impressed. The devs did a great job w/ the enemy AI, feel of the weapons, combat/cover system (lean is back!) Graphics look great and the story seems to be moving along nicely.

Unfortunately, there are no quicksaves and there seem to be some performance issues with Nvidia's latest drivers. I've yet to fire up MP, I plan on finishing the SP campaign first w/ Pointman then Fettel later.

275.33? Those drivers have some issue in general. You probably should roll back one.

275.50 is out. Might help. Glad to see it doesn't suck. I saw the ad for it and it screamed console graphics.

275.50 is out. Might help. Glad to see it doesn't suck. I saw the ad for it and it screamed console graphics.

downloading now, thanks for that info...

The performance issue w/ 275.33 is big FPS hit when going from FXAA to 2AA/4AA, like 30-35 FPS. Does anyone know much about FXAA? Any advantage using it as opposed to traditional AA methods?

downloading now, thanks for that info...

The performance issue w/ 275.33 is big FPS hit when going from FXAA to 2AA/4AA, like 30-35 FPS. Does anyone know much about FXAA? Any advantage using it as opposed to traditional AA methods?

isn't FXAA Nvidia's version of AMD's MLAA or what what ever its called?

This is so great to hear! How does this compare to 1 and 2?

Lean is back? You're kidding...I never though I'd see the day! What's the sensitivity setup like? A slider or is it numerical.

Sounds like the game's going to be fun!!

Thank goodness, I'm still sore from getting jacked by Duke.:eek:

Sounds like the game's going to be fun!!

Thank goodness, I'm still sore from getting jacked by Duke.:eek:

Did he touch you in your no-no spot?

I want to buy this game, but I've gotta massive back log already. By the time I actually get around to playing it, it'll be on sale on Steam for $20 or less. I'll pick it up then

Don't you mean F.3.A.R.? And I already know what the fourth one will be called: F.E.4.R.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

now...is it worth 50? still saving for bf3 but ya'll make this sound tempting

This is so great to hear! How does this compare to 1 and 2?

Without reservation I can say it light years ahead of the 2nd installment. The 1st one is a classic, so I'm going to spend so more time with the game until I make any comparisons there.

Lean is back? You're kidding...I never though I'd see the day! What's the sensitivity setup like? A slider or is it numerical.

Yep, lean is back. You "Q" behind cover, then use "A" to "D" to go left/right. Mouse sensitivity is a slider. I thought the issues that I was having with jerkiness was GPU related, but it appears that it's something else within the game. Right now it looks like people are getting mixed results by disabling HID devices in the device manager others have changed USB bios settings from high speed to full correcting the issue somewhat.
I haven't experimented, but probably will later this evening.

With my rig I'm getting good FPS until 4AA is enabled, all eyecandy is set to very high and this is with 275.50.

FSAA - 120FPS +
2AA - 80FPS
4AA - 50FPS

Without reservation I can say it light years ahead of the 2nd installment. The 1st one is a classic, so I'm going to spend so more time with the game until I make any comparisons there.

Yes! So long as it's better than the 2nd one, I'm happy! Yeah, I wasn't expecting this to be better than the first, as I agree with you that the first one is a classic. As long as it's somewhere in between the 1st and 2nd one, that's all I'm asking for.

The trailer that they show doesn't even look like F.E.A.R. anymore. It looks like a generic shooter with Alma popping up in random places to scare you.

Is the game better than the trailer makes it out to be?

The trailer that they show doesn't even look like F.E.A.R. anymore. It looks like a generic shooter with Alma popping up in random places to scare you.

Is the game better than the trailer makes it out to be?

Yup, agreed, that's what I thought, too, when I saw the trailer. But impressions so far seem to be fairly positive overall, so I'm hopeful once I get the chance to play it.

Definitely better than the trailer, which used console graphics. The game looks and runs great maxed out at 1920X1200.

It's a cool feeling in the beginning...and creepy...to see Point Man and Fetel kind of join forces. The sons of Alma.

Wouldn't mind pulling the FOV back a smidge but overall, I'm pretty happy in the early goings.

I liked 2 just fine but I'm going to go with others and say this one is on the way to being better and possibly by a considerable degree. You use Q to cover.

I think this is more the sequel we all wanted, folks.

Time to go get some. :D

Last edited:
Damn, and I actually thought F3 was going to be rather poor, but some good responses here... alright, I bite and snag it, and hopefully it'll be good enough to grab a second copy for the wife and go through it together.

Damn, I'm shocked... nice surprise.

Oh, for those having jerking/hitching problems... obviously, I've not played it yet, but every installment of F.E.A.R., but particularly after the first one, had this problem and it was basically unsolvable. Maybe it's something with the engine, but I remember talking about it a long, long time ago and about a million other people having the issue.

It's not too bad, is it?

I just found out that I should be getting my retail copy soon, so I'll post my impressions of the game also once I've gotten it and played it. I'm a huge F.E.A.R. fan, as the first one is one of the greatest first person shooters I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Can't wait!

About an hour into it...I couldn't be happier myself. If you're a FEAR fan I think you're going to be real happy with this.

About an hour into it...I couldn't be happier myself. If you're a FEAR fan I think you're going to be real happy with this.

Man, good to hear so far.

How's the jerkiness issue for you?

Also, how is it with no quicksave system?

Yahoo!!!
Good to hear all the positives.

Can't wait to get started.:D

Anybody got this in Surround or Eyefinity?

Back