F.E.A.R. 2: Any Steamers playing it yet?

Anyone having trouble with the mulitplayer? I keep trying to join a game but it keeps saying "failed to connect."

[H]adouken, before I mess with that file what do you use to open and edit the file with? Vista wants to use note pad and just by opening it, the file icon now reads "default" instead of ARCHCFG. The game still runs but am afraid if I save anything it will get screwed up as a warning comes up telling me the file will be changed.

Also, this file never had read only checked, yet you mention un-checking it.

I have also been hearing word that the new beta drivers 182.05 disable film grain and or the option can be toggled off in the FEAR 2 profile in the driver menu. I have not installed these drivers as my performance is already high enough, lol. Anyone confirm this?
Personally I have no clue, I never used the mod. The film grain only appears sometimes for me, I barely notice it. I pretty much always use notepad to edit files, if that doesn't work, wordpad. Nothing really to be worried about. And I didn't mention a thing lol, the guy who built the mod was talking about checking/unchecking. You basically uncheck it to edit it and then check it to lock it back as read-only.

I have 182.05, but Ive yet to see any options for film grain control.

Just beat F.E.A.R. 2. Pretty good game for the most part. I have a couple of complaints. First off the game was WAY too short. The main gameplay thing I don't like is the fact that all pickups now have a reticle around them. In the previous game the weapons and items were just part of the landscape. Finally, I don't care for the weapon models in the new game. They are just bullshit and the previous game all had weapons based off real weapons you can find today. The weapons were also balanced better previously. These all seem largely the same. Otherwise the game was excellent. I hadn't played anything that much in some time.

Just beat F.E.A.R. 2. Pretty good game for the most part. I have a couple of complaints. First off the game was WAY too short. The main gameplay thing I don't like is the fact that all pickups now have a reticle around them. In the previous game the weapons and items were just part of the landscape. Finally, I don't care for the weapon models in the new game. They are just bullshit and the previous game all had weapons based off real weapons you can find today. The weapons were also balanced better previously. These all seem largely the same. Otherwise the game was excellent. I hadn't played anything that much in some time.

Blame consoles. Really the only reason that stuff is in the game now. If the crap is to sell on the console market it has to be wiz bang lol.

Blame consoles. Really the only reason that stuff is in the game now. If the crap is to sell on the console market it has to be wiz bang lol.

It has to be dumbed down for that audience I guess. With the weapon models, I noticed that they went for "flashy" this time.

It has to be dumbed down for that audience I guess. With the weapon models, I noticed that they went for "flashy" this time.

No, not even flashy. It's almost cartoony compared to the weapons in the previous FEAR.

F*** consoles and their cartoony crap. :rolleyes:

I think "cartoony" is more an aesthetic choice and not something inherent to consoles.

Besides, the games are about telepathic commanders controlling clone soldiers, dead girls melting the flesh off of bones, and slow motion combat featuring the occasional invisible ninja. Realism was never something the first game attempted to try.

I finished this last night, and while the enemy encounters weren't as memorable as the first game, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. This blog post does a good job of explaining why the sequel's combat doesn't quite live up to the first game. It's still great fun to nail someone to the wall or turn an enemy soldier into a charred skeleton. The mech sections broke up the regular combat and did a good job of making me feel like even more of a badass than the slowmo stuff does. I'm already looking forward to FEAR 3.

That actually didn't bother me. What does bother me is that the default difficulty is rediculously easy.

Yeah, the checkpoints were so close together it wasn't really an issue to not be able to save anytime. Unlike the first Far Cry, where the checkpoints were 30 minutes apart sometimes. :(

Yeah, the checkpoints were so close together it wasn't really an issue to not be able to save anytime. Unlike the first Far Cry, where the checkpoints were 30 minutes apart sometimes. :(

Right. Though on higher difficulty settings, it may be a larger issue. Its a good game but it does suffer frome some consolitis.

(ATTENTION DEVELOPERS, PC GAMERS HATE THAT)

Right. Though on higher difficulty settings, it may be a larger issue. Its a good game but it does suffer frome some consolitis.

(ATTENTION DEVELOPERS, PC GAMERS HATE THAT)

What annoys me most are the control prompts. If the game is going to tell you which buttons to press, why doesn't it just play the rest of the game for you as well?

That said, I've played and finished the game, and I think it is very good.

What annoys me most are the control prompts. If the game is going to tell you which buttons to press, why doesn't it just play the rest of the game for you as well?

That said, I've played and finished the game, and I think it is very good.

Are you talking about the button mashing parts?

That crap was totally uncalled for. When it came the first time and I saw the little "hint hint...button mash mouse!!!!!" icon come up on the screen, I was literally like: "W T F.". I didn't sign up for little kiddie consolitis crap.

And they made the entire menu and HUD for n00bs with no eyes or no brain complexity to use a mouse or keyboard. That was flat out ridiculous.

Yeah. Like when Alma grabs you, and a few other pats. I'd rather do a tutorial mission at the beginning than have the stupid prompt show up every time.

I also hated how my extra mouse buttons couldn't be mapped with the game.

Personaly i think gameplay is average at best.

Multiplayer is ok but u cant run close to people if not u get stuck on them......drives me nuts

Doesnt bring anything new on multiplayer really same old game types. (still fun tho)

the melee suck this time around.

Best kits : heavy armor health pack and submachine gun
Medium armor,asp rifle and prox mines

With these 2 kits i get about 5-1 k/d

add me up on steam: sirk1000

Same complaints here as everyone else. I hate the "Get this item, it's right here, wait, comeback, you forgot your item!!!" tool-tips (for the lack of something better to call them.) I'd much rather find things on my own. I turned off the flashing item hints in Bioshock as well. The game is fun though. I am glad I picked it up, I just hope the PC-tweaked patch I was reading about the other day comes out soon.

Oh ya???? :)

Link, please.

It was a thread in here somewhere, (possibly this one even?) Not sure, so it was definitely second hand information. Someone said they were releasing a patch that fixed the major complaints of PC gamers...

well, looks like on the whole it's a good game with a few flaws... I guess that's better than I expected given it is a port... I'll start playing it this week I reckon.. I was a huge fan of the original and I am starting to get burned out on LotRO a little so this will be a nice departure from that for a bit..

well, looks like on the whole it's a good game with a few flaws... I guess that's better than I expected given it is a port... I'll start playing it this week I reckon.. I was a huge fan of the original and I am starting to get burned out on LotRO a little so this will be a nice departure from that for a bit..

It really is a pretty good game. The flaws however could have been addressed easily. They could have used similar models or updated models from the original game which would have made me very happy. I mean crap, the shotgun has picatinny rails all over the entire thing. Looks retarded. And why the fuck does the auto-shotgun use different ammunition than the combat shotgun?

The game is pretty solid despite the few complaints I've got with it.

... And why the fuck does the auto-shotgun use different ammunition than the combat shotgun?

That drove me nuts as well, but the thing that I was most upset about was the lack of weapons.

Pistol
SMG
Assault Rifle
Shot Gun
Combat SG
Sniper Rifle
Rail Gun (Hammerhead)
Laser Rifle (this thing was a POS)
BFG (for the most powerful gun in the game, it was a let down)
4 types of explosives

Not enough cool guns like in the first game, also I didn't feel like the guns later in the game were very powerful or majorly useful vs the Assault Rifle.

That drove me nuts as well, but the thing that I was most upset about was the lack of weapons.

Pistol
SMG
Assault Rifle
Shot Gun
Combat SG
Sniper Rifle
Rail Gun (Hammerhead)
Laser Rifle (this thing was a POS)
BFG (for the most powerful gun in the game, it was a let down)
4 types of explosives

Not enough cool guns like in the first game, also I didn't feel like the guns later in the game were very powerful or majorly useful vs the Assault Rifle.

I agree for the most part. The assault rifle looked like a rip off of the SCAR from Crysis. It was the best all around weapon in the game. Nothing even came close. The shotguns were less powerful than they were in the first game. The SMG was ok, more powerful this time around, but I couldn't stand the way it looked. It was a bad rip off of the P90. The Hammerhead I don't think was a railgun, it seemed close to the Flachette launcher (needler) from the first game. Though it was retarded looking and even less powerful than the needler from the first game was. The laser rifle burned ammunition too fast, was too bulky looking and was sort of goofy in the way enemies reacted to it. However, it was effective. It was most effective against the armored heavy dudes which rarely seemed to appear in this game and when they did, they weren't as big a deal as they were the first time around. The pistol was useless in this game and had goofy bright ass sights and picatinny rails all over it. WTF? The thing also had accuracy problems and wasn't particularly useful. The SIG looking gun of the first game was definitely useful in a pinch and was worth having around at times. I ditched it for the most part of the second game and only picked one up for a short period of time when ammunition was scarce. That's another thing. Ammunition is far too plentiful in this game and they dumbed down the melee attacks. I didn't care for that. Sniper rifle was good but didn't care for the bolt-action animation and you having to lose your sight picture to cycle the action. That was stupid. The BFG like gun was too slow to be of any real use most of the time. Especially at long distances. I prefered the laser weapon in the first game that had the scope, and left charred skeletons when the enemies were hit with it. It was powerful, but ammunition and the weapon itself were fairly rare in the game.

I don't suppose anyone's found any .ini files or anything where we could tweak this game and have a little fun with it, have they?

Overall, I'm happy with the game but I'd say I agree with most of the repeated complaints that have been offered. I'm interested to see what this forthcoming patch will do for the game as well.

I miss the double pistols from the first game and I didn't care for the way the pistol was designed in this game either. The shotties were a bit underpowered and once you get the assault rifle there's pretty much no point in using any other weapon, which is a real shame. I did tend to use the sniper rifle on occasion, though.

well, this is a start.

http://www.projectorigincommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6231

I for one will likely be trying this mod as this was one of my complaints when playing the demo:

How to remove and disable the film grain effect

You may already have noticed the film grain effect that is present at all times in FEAR 2 : Project Origin. There is no in game option to disable this effect. You can however download and use this mod to remove the film grain effect. Note: This hack sometimes disables full screen effects other than film grain. Using this on your first play through is not recommended.

but I am going to give a whirl in all it's vanilla goodness before I try this..

Really in this game all you need is the assault rifle and the sniper rifle. The shotguns were ok backup weapons. Range was far too limited and they weren't powerful enough.

*SPOILERS*

no one's really mentioned story issues yet, but the bit that disappointed me most was the school. After all the intel about the test groups and the experiments bla bla bla I was looking forward to encountering lots of freaky, spooky, Alma-style kids scaring the crap out of me. But they never showed up. That was a big missed opportunity I thought. And the bit at the end where you're trying to turn the amplifier on reminded me of the bit in Far Cry 2 where you end up fighting the buddies.
Still, I enjoyed it, even if I'd prefer it to be twice as long and have proper save games. How are you supposed to go back and play the cool bits again?

Edit: oh, and it didn't crash on me once. That's pretty good going these days, and worth a mention.

SPOLIERS AHEAD

I also came to the conculsion that Armacan must have either been so fucking wealthy they had cash to burn for 100 years or they must have made a killing in other sales of technology...
I found a intel book that listed off all there projects and after noticing all the hidden structures and massive machines and lifts and trams and locations...

They built a huge underground facility under a school, for the sole purpose of genetically manipulating children to one day become candidates of project harbinger. They turned an old Nuclear powerplant into a testing facility and later added a Machine to allow a commander to amp his powers. They created a Tram system that was HUGE, connecting to another facility that housed testing and lab facilities and later created a Vault to store Alma.

Where was their income coming from? From what I saw for the past 40 years they spent every dime they had on 1 main goal, creating replica soldiers that could be controled by a telepathic commander and improving that Idea. I guess they were really betting on having the US government replace the armed forces with replica soldiers, but even then, I don't think that would recoup 40 years of R&D... not to mention all the human exparimentaion and crimes they comited.

Armacan really didn't have a very good finance department!

Lol...I wouldn't blame consoles...I mean, look how fallout 3 turned out...left 4 dead.....etc etc....

I really hope you're being funny.

Fallout 3? Oblivion engine. PC developed to start with, and dare I say that it was, although a bit consoley, much less so than Fallout 3.

Left 4 Dead? HL2 engine. HL2 was no consoley game/engine; as a matter of fact, it's probably one of the last few games that I truly enjoyed.

Really in this game all you need is the assault rifle and the sniper rifle. The shotguns were ok backup weapons. Range was far too limited and they weren't powerful enough.

Exactly.

SPOLIERS AHEAD

I also came to the conculsion that Armacan must have either been so fucking wealthy they had cash to burn for 100 years or they must have made a killing in other sales of technology...
I found a intel book that listed off all there projects and after noticing all the hidden structures and massive machines and lifts and trams and locations...

They built a huge underground facility under a school, for the sole purpose of genetically manipulating children to one day become candidates of project harbinger. They turned an old Nuclear powerplant into a testing facility and later added a Machine to allow a commander to amp his powers. They created a Tram system that was HUGE, connecting to another facility that housed testing and lab facilities and later created a Vault to store Alma.

Where was their income coming from? From what I saw for the past 40 years they spent every dime they had on 1 main goal, creating replica soldiers that could be controled by a telepathic commander and improving that Idea. I guess they were really betting on having the US government replace the armed forces with replica soldiers, but even then, I don't think that would recoup 40 years of R&D... not to mention all the human exparimentaion and crimes they comited.

Armacan really didn't have a very good finance department!

If memory serves me correct, their profits are from satellites and other spaced based communications as well as military hardware.

I really hope you're being funny.

Fallout 3? Oblivion engine. PC developed to start with, and dare I say that it was, although a bit consoley, much less so than Fallout 3.

Left 4 Dead? HL2 engine. HL2 was no consoley game/engine; as a matter of fact, it's probably one of the last few games that I truly enjoyed.

Being funny about what? I stated that consoles aren't to blame for 'dumbed down' games...Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead are prime examples. Appeals to consolers and PC gamers alike....

Being funny about what? I stated that consoles aren't to blame for 'dumbed down' games...Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead are prime examples. Appeals to consolers and PC gamers alike....

Oh I see. Sorry about that. Thanks for the clarification.

But at any rate, those still had some victimization of consoleyness, though not to the extent that almost everything else has.

I agree for the most part. The assault rifle looked like a rip off of the SCAR from Crysis. It was the best all around weapon in the game. Nothing even came close. The shotguns were less powerful than they were in the first game. The SMG was ok, more powerful this time around, but I couldn't stand the way it looked. It was a bad rip off of the P90. The Hammerhead I don't think was a railgun, it seemed close to the Flachette launcher (needler) from the first game. Though it was retarded looking and even less powerful than the needler from the first game was. The laser rifle burned ammunition too fast, was too bulky looking and was sort of goofy in the way enemies reacted to it. However, it was effective. It was most effective against the armored heavy dudes which rarely seemed to appear in this game and when they did, they weren't as big a deal as they were the first time around. The pistol was useless in this game and had goofy bright ass sights and picatinny rails all over it. WTF? The thing also had accuracy problems and wasn't particularly useful. The SIG looking gun of the first game was definitely useful in a pinch and was worth having around at times. I ditched it for the most part of the second game and only picked one up for a short period of time when ammunition was scarce. That's another thing. Ammunition is far too plentiful in this game and they dumbed down the melee attacks. I didn't care for that. Sniper rifle was good but didn't care for the bolt-action animation and you having to lose your sight picture to cycle the action. That was stupid. The BFG like gun was too slow to be of any real use most of the time. Especially at long distances. I prefered the laser weapon in the first game that had the scope, and left charred skeletons when the enemies were hit with it. It was powerful, but ammunition and the weapon itself were fairly rare in the game.

oh yeah don't forget the lack of recoil with the ASP.

Back