F.B.I. Seizes Web Servers, Knocking Sites Offline

I'm glad they are doing it. Their logs of their irc chats are horrid. Down with lulzsec!!

Well shit, that's the data center across the road from USGS. Could have sworn I saw DigitalOne servers in the Ashburn data centers. I always miss the fun stuff.

one of our datacenters is in iceland.

It was instaleld once, 5 years later, they are still running and NOONE have ever been on site, expecting people to be on site is like expecting people to be on the moon 24/7.
some server rooms are probably entered less than the international space station.

Web servers are usually powerfull when they are bought and last for years, if not a decade, depending on clients and amount of web traffic.
They should last a decade.

With all the remote server admin tools we get, there is no reason to go there, why should we ?

FBI is clueless, and seriously should be sacked from the operation of cybercrime, make a group with nerds that know about uptime, and can act without taking down everything they see, and just what lies on the one server, taking down 1-5 sites instead of 10-1000.

Perhaps we should just abolish the FBI, clearly they have never done anything but harass and hurt the American people. Should probably just get all the employees and shoot them swell just for the LULZ. :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should just abolish the FBI, clearly they have never done anything but harass and hurt the American people. Should probably just get all the employees and shoot them swell just for the LULZ. :rolleyes:

uhm nice strawman?

I didn't think the CIA could operate within the US?

Its technically against their charter, but they do, i would guess due to the foreign threat on domestic soil spin, though I would still think it falls under FBI jusrisdiction. Who knows? Jesse Ventura told a story in one of his books about that when he was elected Governor

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/01/03/jessecia/

St. Paul, Minn. — Shortly after taking office in 1999, Jesse Ventura writes he was asked to attend a meeting at the state Capitol. He says 23 CIA agents were waiting for him in a basement conference room.

---

Turns out there actually was a Ventura meeting with the CIA in 1999. CIA Spokesman George Little confirmed the event today in a written statement, but he offered few details.

As for the FBI and Lulz and this particular article, there may be more here than meets the eye then the agency being idiots. For instance, they can plant honeypot servers in data centers based on the release of this information and get these tools to take the bait...one thing's for sure, its not likely 19 year old kids are gonna outfox them for all. Their arrogance will be their downfall...

You'd think the FBI would hire people who actually know that the intrawebs aren't just a series of tubes :rolleyes:. Seriously, you can't hire a construction worker to perform heart surgery. Tardstars.

Yes you can, just won't get a good job out of that heart surgery. :p

The people who do the search and seizure aren't the same people who work in cybercrimes on the forensics or security problems. It sucks that they took an enclosure, but seizure teams aren't usually the smartest.

Lulzsec's leader is that sabu guy or storm... I can't remember. They're in really big trouble at this point. They pissed off at least one other hacking group and they're likely being honeypotted since they're using chinese hosts. Additionally, they're using TOR which is teeming with security groups and feds sitting on the exit nodes gathering traffic. It looks like they have a handful of people who at least understand security, but they're too brazen. If LoD, MoD etc all got caught by dumbshit 90's fbi, Lulzsec is gonna get caught.

Its technically against their charter, but they do, i would guess due to the foreign threat on domestic soil spin, though I would still think it falls under FBI jusrisdiction. Who knows? Jesse Ventura told a story in one of his books about that when he was elected Governor

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/01/03/jessecia/

As for the FBI and Lulz and this particular article, there may be more here than meets the eye then the agency being idiots. For instance, they can plant honeypot servers in data centers based on the release of this information and get these tools to take the bait...one thing's for sure, its not likely 19 year old kids are gonna outfox them for all. Their arrogance will be their downfall...
Thats my fear, I have this weakness of supporting the Davids vs the Goliaths, the under dogs, the champions of freedom.:)

^ you just showed how its not a double standard...

LulzSec does it on PURPOSE to cause harm/fear/hysteria/extortion...
FBI does it by ACCIDENT...
If they didn't take them down by mistake/ACCIDENT (which I'm sure being human it happens) then only bad people would of been affected by this raid...

You're mistaken if you think the FBI does anything by accident.

Blame both sides. Isn't the "justice" system in this country set up so that 100 guilty men may go free just so 1 innocent man does not?

Also, I don't "blame" the Lulz boys in the traditional sense. They are (hopefully) trying to expose things our governmnet has been doing (and other corrupt entities) that they shouldn't be. Just like Wikileaks.

I have no love for our governmnet and they deserve everything they get and some.

Just got 1 thing to say.
The term 'hacker' is a mis-used term and we should really be referring to a 'cracker'.
When used correctly, 'hacker' refers to computer enthusiasts who enjoy learning everything about a computer system, pushing the system to its highest possible level of performance. Some use their skills for business, developing penetration tools to analyze a customer's networks for security vulnerabilities.

'Cracker', on the other hand, is the term used to describe those who break security through a vulnerability on systems.
The name was given by hackers to counter journalistic mis-use of the word 'hacker'.
Crackers seek to 'crack' or gain unauthorized access to computers to steal what we have stored on our computers, such as credit card numbers, bank account details, address books or other personal, financial or business information.

Because of the understanding amongst most people that hackers are malicious

Just got 1 thing to say.
The term 'hacker' is a mis-used term and we should really be referring to a 'cracker'.
Because of the understanding amongst most people that hackers are malicious

Yeah, sorry. No. That terminology debate ended in the late 80s and early 90s. It all comes down to 'Hacker' being the preferred slang name that these sorts of folks like to call themselves.

You're better off trying to argue for or against double negatives in the English language. :rolleyes:

Back