F.3.A.R. (F.E.A.R. 3)?

I liked Fear 2... will be looking forward to Fear 3 and (possibly?) and ending to this whole thing.

Nice... FEAR and the expansion (perseus mandate) were pretty good.. FEAR2 I am just finishing now and it's fun also, a bit consolish for me, but oh well.. it looks and plays well. Hopefully the PC version of a 3rd installment will be well done.

Fear 2 is $19.99 on Steam, but I don't see the first one available on Steam? That's a little weird.

Fear 2 is $19.99 on Steam, but I don't see the first one available on Steam? That's a little weird.

I believe publishers need to sign deals with Steam for distribution and probably give Steam a lump sum in addition to a percentage share.

Since the game was already sold heavily through other distribution channels (brick & mortar) a little before Steam became omnipresent (or is it omnipotent) its not worth it to the publisher to pay for it to be republished through Steam.

Just remember Steam is not a public service.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6254132.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

I honestly haven't played Fear 2 because I have been waiting for it to get cheaper and I didn't have much faith in it since I heard it was dumbed down for consoles and not as good as the first one, but I really hope Fear 3 proves to be as good if not better than the first one.

In addition to the console dumb down, FEAR 2 never recaptured the atmosphere of the first one.

The thing that bothered me the most was that they took away lean while my targets still had that ability.

I loved fear, and I loved the expansion packs, if not for the story line, for the fact that the action got harder and more intense. Fear 2 was a big letdown, too many cheesy effects, graphics weren't as crisp and fluid, they dulled down the effect where when your in slow mo, the bullets would ripple the air going past you, and when you came out you would still have an afterimage for a second of those bullets. The polish and the complexity that the graphics had in the first one disappeared in the second one, and I liked the effect (especially in PM at the subway station) you could get in a shootout, and the bullets completely rip up the station, its not just some lame bullet holes, but carnage.

That and the hud in fear 2, fuck that. Also, they never made the MP for fear 2 free, where they did for the first one, which I thought was pretty special, even though no one plays a free MP game anymore.

I have no hope for fear 3, probably will be another 1:1 console port, no attention paid to the platform which spawned the game,

FEAR was a decent singleplayer game, and FEAR 2 while consolized quite a lot was actually not too bad, it was more cinematic and I felt that it benefitted this particular type of game. In fact it may just be the only heavily consolized game I didn't completely hate.

I'll be interested to see a FEAR 3 as long as they don't call it F3AR of course.

So, 4 will be FE4R?

And 5 will pluralize... to FEAR5?

Still haven't played any of 'em... But I do own 'em...

Original FEAR = amazing, great gameplay, great story
9/10

2 expacks = 7/10

FEAR 2 had a couple sections that were really good: the labs and the schoolhouse. The Mech sequence was so-so. Some levels just weren't thought out well like the one where right after you escape from the medical building only to find the whole thing is underground. That whole set of levels sucked. The ending was the funniest thing ever. In the final cutscene you are literally mind-fucked by Alma. She's a ghost inhabiting a disintegrating corpse, yet somehow she rapes you while your in her world and the next second she is pregnant. Other than the weird ending, the story made up for some of the shitty levels.

7/10

IMO, F3AR better be unfuckinbelievable to make up for FEAR 2 and the lame expacks.

9/10

IMO, F3AR better be unfuckinbelievable to make up for FEAR 2 and the lame expacks.

I love the 1st one for the atmosphere and the AI.
I thought the Xpacks were lame.
I never really got into Fear 2.

I'm not sure if I'm even excited about fear 3...

Hopefully Monolith takes on board the criticisms of FEAR 2 and make a game closer to the quality of the original.

The original FEAR is still one of the best corridor-shooters around, IMO.

Pass on 3, F.E.A.R 2 really was poor and and insult to the originals brilliance.

FEAR 2 is well worth getting these days IMO. I'm looking forward to 3 with reservations. There are some things in 2 that need to be improved upon.

To those who don't have and haven't played FEAR (as in the first one), get it and play it, for it is by far, the most bone chilling game I have ever played. That game is the very reason why little girls in dark allies scare the living sh$t out of me.

PS:
Never, but NEVER play that game by yourself at night. And I am seriously not kidding :(

PS:
Never, but NEVER play that game by yourself at night. And I am seriously not kidding :(

That's how I played the first FEAR, in a cold and empty house too. I loved it...scariest game experience yet. I've been wanting to play FEAR2 but I hear so many bad comments about it.

That's how I played the first FEAR, in a cold and empty house too. I loved it...scariest game experience yet. I've been wanting to play FEAR2 but I hear so many bad comments about it.

I HAD NIGHTMARES OF LITTLE GIRLS MELTING MY FACE!!!!:(
But yeah, I played a little bit of the second, and wasn't as nearlly as impressed as the first one. BUT, I have to say that it is pretty important to the storyline.

The first time of playing the original FEAR is incredibly special and one of my high points in all of gaming.

The first time of playing the original FEAR is incredibly special and one of my high points in all of gaming.

I finally Beat FEAR last year and I have to say graphically speaking it holds up incredibly well. Just short of HL:E2 graphics with ID engine bump mapping. Really makes it look clean. I have to say Texture quality makes a massive difference for me when gaming. It has a huge impact on my immersion level.

FEAR definitely stands out in the Top 10 FPS's of the 21st century.

It's sad that nothing much has met that level in what like 2 or 3 years? I mean Bioshock was Good but that game came off as more an Adventure game to me.

I skipped Exps & FEAR 2. Exps because they aren't canon and I'm stickler for that. FEAR 2 got pretty weak reviews. I'll pick it up when it goes for $5-10 on steam.

I love the original fear and have played through it probably 10 times. The expansions didn't interest me. I played about an hour of perseus and never picked it back up and same goes for extraction point.

Fear 2 was an enjoyable game for me. I don't think it was as good as the first fear but I definitely enjoyed it even on the xbox. I was waiting for Fear 2 to get a price reduction on steam and it lowered to $20 a couple of weeks ago. I may pick it up and replay through it on pc.

Last edited:
I finally Beat FEAR last year and I have to say graphically speaking it holds up incredibly well. Just short of HL:E2 graphics with ID engine bump mapping. Really makes it look clean. I have to say Texture quality makes a massive difference for me when gaming. It has a huge impact on my immersion level.

FEAR definitely stands out in the Top 10 FPS's of the 21st century.

It's sad that nothing much has met that level in what like 2 or 3 years? I mean Bioshock was Good but that game came off as more an Adventure game to me.

Agreed 100 percent. FEAR has aged VERY well.

I skipped Exps & FEAR 2. Exps because they aren't canon and I'm stickler for that.

The first EXP is decent and the second is "ok" if you just want a gameplay fix. You could do worse.

FEAR 2 got pretty weak reviews. I'll pick it up when it goes for $5-10 on steam.

FEAR 2 is worth getting now IMO if you felt like it.

FEAR was and ever will be one of the best FPS out there. For not only its multiplayer, but its crazy single player. The graphics were phenomal as well, hell, they still are!

We have had countless disscussions on FEAR, but again, the FEAR Expansions were not near as good (due to the dev problem), nor was FEAR 2. I installed the sequel, tried to bare with the MP, but just could not lie to myself. This was NOT a true sequel for us dedicated PC fans waiting for FEAR to take back the crown :(

I tried getting my old clan back together (Disposable Heroes) but the game just killed the attempt unfortunately.

I miss the crazy matches we had with TTK, LMS (£), TCS, and Dr. I also miss mapping!!

9/10

2 expacks = 7/10

FEAR 2 had a couple sections that were really good: the labs and the schoolhouse. The Mech sequence was so-so. Some levels just weren't thought out well like the one where right after you escape from the medical building only to find the whole thing is underground. That whole set of levels sucked. The ending was the funniest thing ever. In the final cutscene you are literally mind-fucked by Alma. She's a ghost inhabiting a disintegrating corpse, yet somehow she rapes you while your in her world and the next second she is pregnant. Other than the weird ending, the story made up for some of the shitty levels.

7/10

I nearly agree with all of this. :D I didn't like the expacks either. 9/10 for the first sounds right to me, but I'd give F.E.A.R. 2 an 8. It wasn't as good as the first in a lot of ways, but it definitely had its moments, and was entertaining.

F.E.A.R. 2 was OK but the original F.E.A.R. was far better. Better weapons, better style, and it was a much longer game. F.E.A.R. 2 was way too short. The first game I played through multiple times. The second one I finished and never played again.

I tried getting my old clan back together (Disposable Heroes) but the game just killed the attempt unfortunately.

Did you guys have a Call of Duty server (original)? That was my favorite server until some asshole banned me for "hacking", everyone else was nice though

Last edited:
Lol..sorry. Must have been Luckyman :)

Yeah we played all the COD's and got heavy into FEAR (GGL COMP!) , then BF2142.

F.E.A.R. 2 was OK but the original F.E.A.R. was far better. Better weapons, better style, and it was a much longer game. F.E.A.R. 2 was way too short. The first game I played through multiple times. The second one I finished and never played again.

Exactly. FEAR2 for me was fine, but like 6 hours long...

FEAR had a lot of complex combat situations you really had to think your way out of. The AI was set up to make you feel like you're a bank robber or something and the swat team comes in to nullify you. I think you could take the story line out of FEAR and present those same combat situations in another storyline and still be equally immersed therefore making the game innately re-playable because you weren't just playing to move the storyline forward like Bioshock you were playing it just because it was fun/interesting to play.

It's sad to say I can't think of any recent FPS that has evolved out of the dopey AI has gun> kill dopey AI>cut scene FPS mentality.

Yeah, the first FEAR was one I played through twice, and I am now playing again ala eyefinity... it still looks very good (not great, just good) imo by today's standards... the weapons are great,,, I'll just never get tired of stapling baddies to the wall and coming up to find them in all kinds of different contorted positions. woot!

I love the original fear and have played through it probably 10 times. The expansions didn't interest me. I played about an hour of perseus and never picked it back up and same goes for extraction point.

Fear 2 was an enjoyable game for me. I don't think it was as good as the first fear but I definitely enjoyed it even on the xbox. I was waiting for Fear 2 to get a price reduction on steam and it lowered to $20 a couple of weeks ago. I may pick it up and replay through it on pc.

Fear 2 certainly wasn't as good. The graphics took a major hit with the removal of a globally casting stencial shadow system; that was a big portion of the immersion factor for me. Gameplay felt a bit off, and simplifications like removal of lean just sealed the deal. There are fundamental psychographic differences between PC users and console users, and while there is some overlap, it is a general rule of thumb that cross-targeting traditional genre mainstays of PC gaming like FPS & RTS is not successful. Fear 2 lost customers for Monolith, if for no other reason that the fans' realization that Monolith's development strategy centered around only 1 concept.

Aside from a few spots, I did not find F.E.A.R. very scary. I get far more spooked by playing Stalker or SS2 in the middle of the night by myself.

I love getting scared... and that's what this game is supposed to deliver to me, but doesn't. So I'll probably have to pass on 3.

Aside from a few spots, I did not find F.E.A.R. very scary. I get far more spooked by playing Stalker or SS2 in the middle of the night by myself.

I love getting scared... and that's what this game is supposed to deliver to me, but doesn't. So I'll probably have to pass on 3.

It does have some of those "leaning over in your chair thinking you'll get that much further away moments" but yeah, SS2 has more of the psychological scary mixed in with its startling moments, so you're on edge more consistently. (and disturbed more)

First FEAR was great. Sadly for me, it came out when I was still playing WoW. I picked up the FEAR platinum pack about 1.5 years ago and beat the first because I always wanted to but couldn't stick with EP because of my other games piling up. Never touched PM.

I was excited for FEAR 2 because I had finally just played the first and here was the sequel with new graphics, enemies, effects, etc. I enjoyed the demo but so many poor reviews and the knowledge of the extremely short single player made me back off. I've been waiting for it to drop below $10 since. I'm actually glad this thread came up to remind me to keep an eye out for it cheap.

FEAR had a lot of complex combat situations you really had to think your way out of. The AI was set up to make you feel like you're a bank robber or something and the swat team comes in to nullify you. I think you could take the story line out of FEAR and present those same combat situations in another storyline and still be equally immersed therefore making the game innately re-playable because you weren't just playing to move the storyline forward like Bioshock you were playing it just because it was fun/interesting to play.

It's sad to say I can't think of any recent FPS that has evolved out of the dopey AI has gun> kill dopey AI>cut scene FPS mentality.

I've been playing serious sam HD for a while and I haven't had this much fun with a single player FPS in a such a long time. It's a nice walk down memory lane as well.

The original FEAR was fantastic, although some of the levels seemed a bit repetitive in their design. (If I had a dime for every office cubicle or Dell computer....)

Don't understand why FEAR 2 got so many negative reviews, I rather enjoyed it, the graphics and story were very good although it certainly was not as scary or atmospheric as the original.

Sign me up if there is a FEAR 3!

I think Extraction Point is the most scary among them so far. It sort of incorporates the horror element with the game play as in the monster that grabs you from the ground where you're drawn into a firefight with it, rather than just being an audience watching something scary like Alma crawling out of the dark but she never hurts you, not in those horror scene anyway. Of course after awhile, its not that scary, but I actually still avoid the black spot just to avoid that monster throughout the game, heh.

FEAR 2 had those too with the flying spirit or whatever that attacks, it was ok.

I hope FEAR 3 can beat all of that in terms of horror. Its one of the reason why I love playing FEAR so much. Without the horror element, it would be just another shooter fighting clone soldiers and invisible creatures.

It would be fine for me if FEAR 3 gameplay or combat system goes back to the first FEAR style, it was great.

The original F.E.A.R. was the first high-end first person shooter I ever played (I recall when it was the Crysis of its day, it was THE benchmark for graphics cards before the Geforce 8-series came out and tamed it), and it still is the BEST single player FPS experience I've seen to date. Long, engaging storyline and actual, intelligent enemies. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point was even better because they ramped up the intelligence of the enemy A.I. even more. Its too bad it got retconned out. F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. Extraction Point are the only two FPS games I've actually enjoyed replaying. I've replayed others (like CoD:MW1) but that was just to get a higher score or something, not because I actually enjoyed the game that much.

I played the demo for F.E.A.R. 2 and....I don't know. The sequence where you have to fight your way through the elementary school was pretty damn scary, but everything after that just lacked the atmosphere.

i found FEAR 2 stupid because when you are in slow-mo.. the enemies have a blue glow, the developers think gamers are too stupid to see the enemy, that they have to be highlighted

LOVED FEAR 1

Last edited:
Back