Eyefinity and Triple DVI working.

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SOSUS

SOSUS n00b

Tried the dp>vga on Widescreen Gaming Forum, but I got crazy flickering and link errors. Ordered the Dell adapter for 75 euros instead.

2. Elmy

Elmy Gawd

3. RevMen

RevMen Limp Gawd

I got the Accel adapter from Amazon and it seems to be working great. Once in a while, if there is a resolution shift on the screen, I have to cycle the monitor to get it to come back on, but that seems to be happening less and less. No problems with flickering that I have seen.

4. slowfreight

slowfreight [H]Lite

Just got battlefield bad company 2. Cant wait to get eyefinity going. Ill more than likely get one of those Accel adapters.

5. alucard_x

alucard_x [H]Lite

can't even afford SLI, eyefinity would be nice :)

6. Basiq Flac

Basiq Flac [H]Lite

Is it getting any better with monitors and the dreaded bezels?

I'd really think about jumping to at least dual monitor if this was the case.

7. SOSUS

SOSUS n00b

Bezels really aren't a problem, especially with the 10.3 bezel management. However, I wouldn't recommend using just 2 monitors, since your focus/crosshairs shouldn't have a bezel straight through it.

8. RevMen

RevMen Limp Gawd

I stopped noticing the bezels after 1 minute. They're totally a non-issue for me. And I wouldn't want to use Bezel management because that would give bad guys a place to hide.

If you wear glasses it's the same as not noticing your frames any more. If you drive a car it's the same as not noticing your A-pillars any more. And even if you did continue to notice the bezels, it's still better to have 3 screens than 1 screen.

9. Nil Einne

Nil Einne n00b

This is for personal interest rather then a plan to try this set up.

Has anyone ever got one of those AMD/ATI 5xxx (or 6xxxx) cards with HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports to work with 3 monitors? According to AMD/ATI it shouldn't work. But according to http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/11/30/eyefinity_using_active_adapter/ and some reports including in this thread, using a passive DisplayPort to VGA adapter together with two DVI-D/HDMI works.

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_(GPU_family)#Multi-display_technologies (not properly refed and I haven't checked the refs but it sounds like it's probably right) it seems the the Evergreen supports up to 6 digital signals. It also has two RAMDACs. And 2 clock generators. A dual-link DVI-D or HDMI will use two of the digital signals (in TMDS) and one of the clocks. So presuming the card doesn't add any extra clock generators or whatever, you can get up to two dual-link DVI-D or HDMI outputs. The third output in theory needs to be DisplayPort since you don't have enough clock signals. But the fact passive adapters work suggests this isn't really the case. I presume the RAMDACs don't need the clock signal to operate and they generate their own clock for output over the VGA. Therefore you can use one of the two RAMDACs (along with one of the digital signals) on the cards for VGA output along with the two dual-link DVI-D/HDMI (using the 2 clock signals and 4 digital signals) for 3 monitors. And this I presume is what happens with the passive adapter+DVI-D/HDMI+DVI-D/HDMI case.

In theory the same thing should be doable even if not officially supported with the cards with VGA+HDMI+DVI. Whether any actually manage it is another question (they may not be designed/wired with this in mind or perhaps the bios may stop it). I've found several posts of people saying it doesn't work but this mostly seems to be theory rather then practice. Also if I understand correctly the passive adapter scenario can be a bit flaky and sometimes you lose a monitor on restart or driver reinstall so I guess the same thing may apply with the VGA port scenario meaning people may presume it doesn't work without actually trying properly. (I also read something suggesting it didn't work for someone with a 5470 but it's difficult to know how hard they tried.) As I said this isn't something I'm planning to do, just personal interest.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011