Eyefinity 3x24" vs. Dell 3007wfp-hc

I think I'm the only one that prefers the landscape mode. Portrait mode seems to be cool, but for that I would rather have it on my 145" front projector, no need for eyefinity even though I will loose 1/3 of real estate. Not much compared to landscape.

Like Kyle has mentioned before...to each of their own and with racing games it is more adventageous for landscape. I feel the same for FPS as you get more view from the sides. It will be harder for someone to sneak up on me. I know many have said landscape appears to be stretched and squished too much, but most are using 22" to 24" so they appear to be too small. Granted there have been very few with 30" to try out that might solve the squished look.
I remember listening to the bitching and complaining when widesreen movies on laserdiscs and DVD's came out to display on 4:3 monitors (too stretched and squished and what the hells with these blackbars?), then came 16:9 TV's and there were still some grumblings.

I now know first hand, don't judge it until you try it, pictures dont do it justice. With the right setup, either portrait or landscape you will be sucked right in. Remember the pictures you see with landscape setup is sitting further away to get all the image in the shot, so it will definately look smaller.

Kyle, have you noticed your PC locking up for a about a minute before you can do anything with your adaptor hooked up? I haven't had the issue of it not working like you, but I dont know if it is related to my adaptor with my PC freezing for about a minute before I can even get into task manager.

Last edited:
Have you tried tucking the left and right monitors slightly behind the center monitor to reduce the bezel? That's my only gripe.

firstly, i built my current desk from scratch to support three 23" monitors. they fit amazingly, but stay angled to give me that immersed desktop feel.

Kyle & Pretzel, in your opinions when you play landscape do you feel better with the monitors angled half hexagon style or flat? \__/ vs ______

currently mine are \__/
i can have all sorts of shit open in my desktop with them curving around me, love it.

i'm with some of the posters on removing the bezel. it cannot be that hard and would look really nice.
would it be better to remove bezel and replace with metal? epoxy frame it? no frame just assemble tightly? looks like its time for a new thread on best ways to mod monitor bezels.

firstly, i built my current desk from scratch to support three 23" monitors. they fit amazingly, but stay angled to give me that immersed desktop feel.

Kyle & Pretzel, in your opinions when you play landscape do you feel better with the monitors angled half hexagon style or flat? \__/ vs ______

currently mine are \__/
i can have all sorts of shit open in my desktop with them curving around me, love it.

i'm with some of the posters on removing the bezel. it cannot be that hard and would look really nice.
would it be better to remove bezel and replace with metal? epoxy frame it? no frame just assemble tightly? looks like its time for a new thread on best ways to mod monitor bezels.

On 3x1 portrait, I have the outside panels turned in maybe 7 or 8°, not much. Much more angle with the 3x1 landscape.

I gave my wife my old Dell 3007 (30") when I got my eyefinity setup and haven't looked back since :)

I gave my wife my old Dell 3007 (30") when I got my eyefinity setup and haven't looked back since :)

I set up my Samsung 32" monitor for what it was designed for......a TV. There are a few quirks I have noticed so far which should be ironed out with newer drivers, but definately not going back either.

I can't decide yet, but trying our Portrait mode tonight in WoW looked amazing thats for sure. 3200x1920 is awesome, the vertical height is just breath taking, you see so much more game world height it is crazy. And with the 3 - 24" sitting right in front of me in Portrait it takes up your whole view, and can still see the sdie monitors pretty well too. Where as in Landscape mode on 24" you can see your wall or anything above and behind the monitor, it doesn't take up your whole view, and the sides are so wide you have to keep turning your head let or right to see the whole thing, it becomes too wide in my opinion

To me my biggest beef with Landscape mode is the extreme distortion I see in games, WoW looks pretty bad on the 2 side displays in Landscape, very stretched out, that looks freaky weird, but in Portrait mode it looked almost perfect.

I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all.

photo7.jpg

I am still not sold on the idea of a triple display over a nice 37-42" single display.

Which would you rather run?
1920x1080 @ max AA + max AF + max everything else on a 37"
3600x1920 @ lower settings on 3x 24" displays ?

I liked gaming on a 37" HD display, and could never get used to the bezels in the way.
I got the same 37" screen and I have to completely agree.

I just can't see what's so great about 3 displays in portrait mode if your only getting a whole 5.47% more FOV at the cost of having bezels running down the display. I can create the same FOV effect by just making a 1920x1024 resolution and have no bezels.

Last edited:
I think we got the idea about the 5x1 Portrait mode "will rule them all" don't you think?
"Now bring on that 6 display AMD 5800 series card, 5x1 in Portrait mode will rule them all"

"Now Kyle, where is that 6-Finity VideoCard from AMD ? I can really see the 5x1 setup in Portrait mode of 6000x1920 being the ring to rule them all"

"I am just dreaming about that 6-Finity card coming from AMD, imaine a 5x1 setup all in Portrait mode, so 5 - 24" would give a 6000x1920res Oh My God"

"I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all."

Until they get rid of the Bezels, this is a no go for me. I hate having any divisions on the screen. I home and work I got rid of all my dual screen setups and at work when I go and work on someone's computer who has dual screens, I disable the second screen while I work on it.

Can't stand it at all.

I do have a feeling that we will see bonded screens coming down the line, aka 3 30" or whatever screens all put into one housing.

Oh well, not a real big deal for me, I gave up PC gaming many years ago and moved exclusively to consoles. Gaming is the only reason I would really want this or need Eyefinity.

I got the same 37" screen and I have to completely agree.

I just can't see what's so great about 3 displays in portrait mode if your only getting a whole 5.47% more FOV at the cost of having bezels running down the display. I can create the same FOV effect by just making a 1920x1024 resolution and have no bezels.

Sorry but have to disagree. The 1920 vertical height is amazing, it is almost double that of 1080res height. And also now the widescreen is 3200 res wide, thats like 75% wider than 1920

This has to be seen in person to be a believer, and I am sold on Portrait mode for now, not rotating back to Landscape. Check this;

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

god thats beautiful. i gotta say. i am stoked and cannot wait for mine to show up (ups say friday ETA)

I watched it and was impressed but thought you had just turned off the side monitors while still in Eyefinity mode. My bad. :eek:

Look at Operation Flashpoint. Pay atttention to the trees on either side. it looks as if the same amount of trees are showing in both Landscape and Portrait modes.

COD:WAW makes it look as if more is showing in Landscape, but his character has moved forward in the Portrait shots.

So from his pics, it looks at if the same amount of game world is shown in either.
I'm not saying Landscape wouldn't make you feel more into the game, but it doesn't seem to show more of what's around your character than offered in Portrait.
Both are great looking, but Portrait has me liking what I see more. :)

I think the Illussion the people are getting here of a streched FOV is because the Natural Eye has smaller horizontal to vertical FOV relationship than a 3x1 L setup. If I could I would try landscape with 4:3 Monitors and see how that feels. At least that's closer and it's practical.

Until they get rid of the Bezels, this is a no go for me. I hate having any divisions on the screen. I home and work I got rid of all my dual screen setups and at work when I go and work on someone's computer who has dual screens, I disable the second screen while I work on it.

Can't stand it at all.

I do have a feeling that we will see bonded screens coming down the line, aka 3 30" or whatever screens all put into one housing.

Oh well, not a real big deal for me, I gave up PC gaming many years ago and moved exclusively to consoles. Gaming is the only reason I would really want this or need Eyefinity.

I do have a solution for U. Run one thing on one screen on another thing on the other. I run 2 VMs at the same time. One on each screen.

Zorachus- you keep saying 3200 wide, it's 3600 correct ?

Is there only one user experiencing the high temps on there 5870 while in EF ?

I can't decide yet, but trying our Portrait mode tonight in WoW looked amazing thats for sure. 3200x1920 is awesome, the vertical height is just breath taking, you see so much more game world height it is crazy. And with the 3 - 24" sitting right in front of me in Portrait it takes up your whole view, and can still see the sdie monitors pretty well too. Where as in Landscape mode on 24" you can see your wall or anything above and behind the monitor, it doesn't take up your whole view, and the sides are so wide you have to keep turning your head let or right to see the whole thing, it becomes too wide in my opinion

To me my biggest beef with Landscape mode is the extreme distortion I see in games, WoW looks pretty bad on the 2 side displays in Landscape, very stretched out, that looks freaky weird, but in Portrait mode it looked almost perfect.

I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all.

Have you tried the widescreen gaming fix that pretzel used to address the "stretched" look?

Unless they can make screens that fit together without any black borders between them, I will never use a multi-screen setup. I guess some people think it's a small trade off, but for me it's a deal breaker to chop up the image like that.

Okay, so who is going to start making bezel-less monitors? or new cases for our old ones?

I hereby deem this the "What's a recession?" thread and wish you all well.

Zorachus- you keep saying 3200 wide, it's 3600 correct ?

Is there only one user experiencing the high temps on there 5870 while in EF ?

Yes you are correct it is 3600x1920 not sure why I kept saying 3200 ?

But for my games Portrait mode is hands down better looking than Landscape. A
D and game developers can fix extreme wide stretching and distortion in Landscape if thru allow option for the 5760x1200res and give it the correct aspect ratio and FOV, but until then Portrait rules.

I have not seen a fix for WoW in Landscape that gets rid of the stretched look on the 2 sides.

I hereby deem this the "What's a recession?" thread and wish you all well.

That is SO TRUE! Seeing this thread makes it very hard to not order 3 24" LCD's and a 5870......

I wonder how this would look with 3 22" LCD's.

Have you tried the widescreen gaming fix that pretzel used to address the "stretched" look?

What "fix" was that ? I have never seen anything that makes WoW look correct in extreme widescreen ?

I'm trying to wrap my head around portrait mode.

Having 3x 16:10 (1.6) monitors in portrait mode is 30:16 (1.875) so you get a slightly extended view.

Having 3x 16:9 (1.78) monitors in portrait mode is 27:16 (1.6875) so you actually get a more scrunched view.

As the screenshots show for the 30" vs. 3x24" in portrait, you see approximately the same amount of the world (refer to the COD shots).

Aside from having a huge number of pixels for image quality, what would be the viewing advantage over a large HDTV as many have referenced?

I know Zorachus has said that 3x portrait gives "1/3 more viewing", but that just seems wrong as evidenced by the COD comparison shots on the first page. In landscape you literally see more of the world (1x more to the left, and 1x more to the right). In portrait you actually don't (or it's very similar).

I just wish that there was a store that would demo Eyefinity. It would greatly attract more lay customers and allow others to see / try this in person.

wow that looks like some awesome gaming. you guys are crazy.

Question- Do the bezels bother you? i look at those screenies, especially that last hl shot with the gun looking all weird to me. I guess i have to try it.

Is there anything in works right now with slimmer or no bezels?

there is actually a work log on here under case modding of a guy who tackled the bezel issue, while he put plexi over the screen, i think it can be done without going to this extreme and at the same time removing the bezel. what you're referring to BBBS (black bar bezel syndrome). look into that work log for a better idea of what needs to be done about BBBS

I wonder if anyone has patented the manufacture of rotatable monitors with asymetric bezels... i.e., with the screen wedged up as close as possible to one corner of the casing. Then you could rotate the two end monitors so that the bezel gap between them and the middle monitor(s) is minimized. (If it hasn't been patented, it's too late now... this counts as prior art, I think. :) ).

I also remember seeing an article or ad related to a multi-display setup using large rectangular prisms against the front of each monitor to join the images so no bezel is visible... but that was a couple of years ago (I think), and seems like it might be kinda pricey. (From what I'm seeing in this thread, pricey-ness ain't much of a concern!)

I'm trying to wrap my head around portrait mode.

Having 3x 16:10 (1.6) monitors in portrait mode is 30:16 (1.875) so you get a slightly extended view.

Having 3x 16:9 (1.78) monitors in portrait mode is 27:16 (1.6875) so you actually get a more scrunched view.

As the screenshots show for the 30" vs. 3x24" in portrait, you see approximately the same amount of the world (refer to the COD shots).

Aside from having a huge number of pixels for image quality, what would be the viewing advantage over a large HDTV as many have referenced?

I know Zorachus has said that 3x portrait gives "1/3 more viewing", but that just seems wrong as evidenced by the COD comparison shots on the first page. In landscape you literally see more of the world (1x more to the left, and 1x more to the right). In portrait you actually don't (or it's very similar).

I just wish that there was a store that would demo Eyefinity. It would greatly attract more lay customers and allow others to see / try this in person.

I think the 3 - 24" in Portrait mode is almost approx 40% wider than was my single 30" Apple Display, and the 1920 vertical height is amazing for gaming, and that is approx almost 1/3rd taller.

I can see way more of the WoW game world at 3600x1920res compared to my single 30" of 2560x1600res. The difference is approx 75% more pixels on the 3 - 24", and it does look and feel that way in games, It seems to be almost double the viewing in games, not quite double but 75% seems correct.

I don't see how people can honestly say that a single 30" Display is not much different than 3 - 24" flipped in Portrait ? I can say from real world experience, yes it is, big time difference. To me the extreme widescreen of Landscape is too wide, you can never see that far to the edge of each screen, you have to actually turn your head left and right to see the whole view, and those far edges not much is there, but Portrait seems almost perfect in my opinion.

Let me test some more game tonight, see my final opinion later :)

I wonder if anyone has patented the manufacture of rotatable monitors with asymetric bezels... i.e., with the screen wedged up as close as possible to one corner of the casing. Then you could rotate the two end monitors so that the bezel gap between them and the middle monitor(s) is minimized. (If it hasn't been patented, it's too late now... this counts as prior art, I think. :) ).

I also remember seeing an article or ad related to a multi-display setup using large rectangular prisms against the front of each monitor to join the images so no bezel is visible... but that was a couple of years ago (I think), and seems like it might be kinda pricey. (From what I'm seeing in this thread, pricey-ness ain't much of a concern!)

Replying to myself, answering my own question...

Asymetric bezel, made for multiple-monitor setups, from Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/us/function/search/espsearchResult.do?keywords=460UT&input_keyword=460UT

46" might be overkill... if "overkill" is a possibility in this discussion. [edit: Resolution not so impressive... 1366 x 768.]

I think the 3 - 24" in Portrait mode is almost approx 40% wider than was my single 30" Apple Display, and the 1920 vertical height is amazing for gaming, and that is approx almost 1/3rd taller.

I can see way more of the WoW game wolrd at 3600x1920res compared to my single 30" of 2560x1600res. The difference is approx 75% more pixels on the 3 - 24", and it does look and feel that way in games, It seems to be almost double the viewing in games, not quite double but 75% seems correct.

I don't see how people can honestly say that a single 30" Display is not much different than 3 - 24" flipped in Portrait ? I can say from real world experience, yes it is, big time difference. To me the extreme widescreen of Landscape is too wide, you can never see that far to the edge of each screen, you have to actually turn your head left and right to see the whole view, and those far edges not much is there, but Portrait seems almost perfect in my opinion.

Let me test some more game tonight, see my final opinion later :)

There's a huge difference in extended viewing vs. MORE pixels. Yes, I know there's MORE pixels.

For example, if you compare 1280x800 to 1680x1050, they're both 16:10 resolutions. Both resolutions will have the SAME total viewing, but the 1680x1050 obviously has MORE pixels (higher quality). As I showed, the aspect ratio of portrait mode is very similar to a single widescreen monitor. So yes you get more pixels, but you see the same amount of the world. Get it?

Again, refer to the COD shots in the first post. The portrait mode doesn't display MORE of the world, it just displays it in MORE pixels. The COD shots are the best for reference since they (as far as I can tell) were taken from the same position for all the comparison shots. For a very clear and obvious comparison, the landscape shots actually show more of the world.

As for WOW: Stand somewhere and take a screenshot with 1x 24" monitor. Go to 3x 24" portrait and do the same. Now resize the shots so they're the same size and see if you actually see more of the world. Again, I know that 3x 24" is larger and has more pixels. That's not the point though.

Dear god..... this thread is going to cost me a TON of money. :(

it's really not an issue of costing tons of money, it's more like investing in monitors that you'll get a shit ton of use out of. i had trouble making the justification but when the wife saw it she insisted on herself getting it too. soooooo in that respect yeah it did cost me a ton but, they get a lot of use. on the wife's computer i can play thomas the tank engine for my daughter on the leftmost monitor and not be disturbed to continue working on the other two. it's a matter of maximizing your workspace, the bonus is you get kick ass gaming out of the deal.

What "fix" was that ? I have never seen anything that makes WoW look correct in extreme widescreen ?

Pretzel updated the first post in the thread with a link to the program and some screen shots. It might work for WoW too.

it's really not an issue of costing tons of money, it's more like investing in monitors that you'll get a shit ton of use out of. i had trouble making the justification but when the wife saw it she insisted on herself getting it too. soooooo in that respect yeah it did cost me a ton but, they get a lot of use. on the wife's computer i can play thomas the tank engine for my daughter on the leftmost monitor and not be disturbed to continue working on the other two. it's a matter of maximizing your workspace, the bonus is you get kick ass gaming out of the deal.

Yeah, but knowing me I'll end up with 3 new 24" monitors a gulftown and a pair of 5870s to drive it. Obviously, the plan is set for the future. And while it will be a good investment in the monitors, I thought my 24" monitor was a "good investment" and it is looking like it will quickly be outdated in a sense. I am by no means complaining, it'sjust my next build increased by an extra graphics card and 2 or 3 more 24" monitors. :D

Replying to myself, answering my own question...

Asymetric bezel, made for multiple-monitor setups, from Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/us/function/search/espsearchResult.do?keywords=460UT&input_keyword=460UT

46" might be overkill... if "overkill" is a possibility in this discussion. [edit: Resolution not so impressive... 1366 x 768.]

Samsung chose this week's InfoComm 2009 as the official coming-out party for some of its video wall goodies we first got wind of a few months back. As much as the above photo of four UT-series (Ultra Thin, we're guessing) super-slim bezel LCDs and UD (Ultra-Definition) control make us drool, we've got a feeling it's nothing compared to seeing an even bigger setup in person. The 460UT, 460UTn and 460UTn-UD LCDs tile up with only 6.7-mm of bezel between them, and up to 250 can be controlled by a single UD-server. Oh yeah, and that server can draw from 125 networked PCs to fill all those thirsty pixels. You know, for when your setup really does look like Mission Control. Sadly, prices are accordingly astronomical -- $6922, $7845 and $8614 for the UT, UTn and UTn-UD LCDs, respectively.

yeah...don't think any of us getting that lol

How do you like the windows desktop experience in portrait mode? I think I would have a hard time getting used to portrait mode for normaly computer usage, though the gaming aspect looks sweet.

I think we will wind up with the best of both worlds when 21:9 Displays are readily available;

philips_cinema.jpg

Back