Eyefinity 3x24" vs. Dell 3007wfp-hc

orifice800x600.jpg

Now these threads have me saving for a 5870 for xmas ;) My rig can only game on the landscape panel (4770Xfire)

I run 3 dell 2209WAs portrait and another landscape
My 2 pence is that, as others have said in the thread, 3x portrait just feels good.
I dont notice the bezels at all, they are matt black on these panels, but your eye is not even drawn to the silver dell logo.
(the camera I used is widescreen, actually all the panels are the same, but the left hand one looks stretched)

Rather than flip them, I think (just a casual gamer) with a new GPU, I'd use the triple in portrait where it works good, and use single landscape panel otherwise. Catalyst is easy enough to set up.

Wow it's great!

I will admit that in concept Landscape is a better idea than Portrait, but Landscape sucks right now to me because games do not support the extreme wide resolution and the gamesjust stretches the image and distorts it, where the 2 side monitors them become freaky wierd looking

until game developers patch their games to allow for the correct aspect ratio and FOV I will stick with Portrait, but will switch to Landscape once the games properly display these extreme resolutions. I hope that comes soon for Source engine games, and WoW ?

I will admit that in concept Landscape is a better idea than Portrait, but Landscape sucks right now to me because games do not support the extreme wide resolution and the gamesjust stretches the image and distorts it, where the 2 side monitors them become freaky wierd looking

until game developers patch their games to allow for the correct aspect ratio and FOV I will stick with Portrait, but will switch to Landscape once the games properly display these extreme resolutions. I hope that comes soon for Source engine games, and WoW ?

it's not freaky looking. it's how the predator sees the world.

I get worried seeing you guys talking about removing the aluminium bezels. You can do it but it will mess up your backlighting and leave you with very fragile screens that could crack very easily. It's definitely not worth messing with IMO.

I stripped a 15" monitor a couple of years ago in order to make a DIY video projector. That required removing everything, so that a very bright projector light could be shone through the screen in order to project its image through lenses onto a much larger screen.

I can't for the life of me remember the exact measurements, but even if you did remove the aluminium bezels, you won't be decreasing the overall size of the screens by much at all, not enough to justify messing with the backlighting held in by that aluminium bezel. Certainly not with a monitor worth more than $100-$200.

Don't get me wrong, there's probably a way to go glass-edge to glass-edge and still not have any light bleed or overlap from the backlights, but that would require dedicated experimentation and almost cetain failures along the way. AND, even if you did it, you'd still have 5mm or more of pure black screen per edge butting up against each other. Again, not worth it IMO.

Just wanted to warn you not to go all gung-ho on it. Do some research if you want to try it, there's info. out there if you want to find it. One place full of LCD strippers is here (under LLAVS: Lumenlab AVS) - http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php

There's a photo here of a fully stripped LCD monitor (second last pic.) that shows how much black you're left with even after stripping a monitor further than you'd want to while still having it work as usual - http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15376

Good luck, and thanks for all the pics of your setups.

Edit- Just wanted to add, if I could afford an eyefinity setup and wanted to experiment with it, I'd be looking into making up a front-screen out of clear acrylic or something, with a strip of mirrors or prisms or something running down along the length of the bezels, so that the bezels are optically obscured in the gap between the monitors and the front screen when seen from a normal viewing distance. I have no idea if that's actually possible or practical, but that's the area I'd be looking into for bezel minimizing.

Last edited:
Went back to landscape and my 27" in center. I just love this Dell 27" monitor too much to let my Wifey use it just couple days a week for Facebook. And in WoW even with the two sides 24", it still works out pretty good, because your looking at the center display majority of the time. Went back to Landscape to also get what I paid for, a bigger game world. In Portrait I am not gaining too much more as far as size of game world opened up, compared to 5760x1200res

Here is low quality iPhone pic;
photo4-2.jpg

Last edited:
Went back to landscape and my 27" in center. I just love this Dell 27" monitor too much to let my Wifey use it just couple days a week for Facebook. And in WoW even with the two sides 24", it still works out pretty good, because your looking at the center display majority of the time. Went back to Landscape to also get what I paid for, a bigger game world. In Portrait I am not gaining too much more as far as size of game world opened up, compared to 5760x1200res

sooooo you're saying that landscape is the shit? i've yet to finish upgrading my 5870. had to do cable management because that card is so fucking long (that and new dvd burner and SAS drive showed up). honestly, i can only fit one in my case without doing some sort of mod on the HDD bay. whenever amd gets around to crossfire supporting eyefinity it will be on like Collignon. not to mention adding more monitors. i want to ask, can you use multiple 5xxx cards to get more monitors (without CF)? as in, three on one card and then three on another card (as of right now). i know that they plan to release the 6 DP card, but if i can get six right now and eyefinity across all that (without CF), i'd love to try

I was all about the landscape setup until seeing these pictures. Portrait is the way to go. I hope when setups like these become more common someone will make monitors that have a much smaller bezel gap. It will be badass when 3 monitors will be seamlessly connected for a portrait setup. But I guess someone will just make a single portrait monitor model or something.

there really isnt a set way to have this - thing about nfs shift - would look like ass cakes in portrait but works wonders in landscape

the reason movie theaters have a wider than tall aspect is because that best represents how we perceive the world - look at eye glasses... wider than tall

just open your eyes and look... you have a very wide field of view - your peripheral vision left and right is more expansive than up and down

all that taken into consideration - its really going to depend on the app or game ... that's what's going to dictate which orientation best fits

i can see open world games and rts working well in portait - shooters and racing games in landscape

but that's going to take time - devs have been programming for 2 million pixels and a set and centered world... now they can expand out to 7 million and a whole host of fov and aspects

i got my eyefinity working. and damnit. i think i may have to agree. portrait in fps may be the way to go. pictures up shortly

One of my new U2410 displays bought the farm last night for some reason and will not power up again. I am back to my 30" single display for now. Wow, who would have ever thought that a single 30" would be the suck? Ouch.

Apply some widescreen fix to COD please, it looks horrid without some adjustment. Eesh.

eyefin3031.jpg

eyefin3032.jpg

eyefin3033.jpg

eyefin3034.jpg

eyefin3036.jpg

eyefin3039.jpg

eyefin3040.jpg

eyefin3041.jpg

with the widescreen fix, this is 5076x1080 = kicks fucking ass. unbelievable. the only thing to be said. NOW I SUCK AT THIS GAME. with so much more in my peripheral vision, it's harder to see things moving. but i can comfortably sit in my chair 30 inches from the center screen and still not feel the need to lean in OR lean back.

N ice! Picture worth 1000 words.

Looking forward to the day when decent 30" come down in price, it'll happen, i'd guess within 3 yrs $600, and ATI have moved the panel market

I'll have 3x30" one day, and they'll be landscape

*love the apple sponsered gore pic (board member), somewhere in that pile is a memo for him to challenge the election result. Don't you just know Clinton would have 2 on pron, and 1 on work LOL

hey pretzel, doesn't it feel crazy to think of that 30" viewing space as small? going from one 23 to three is like heartbreaking. it's so much smaller to use just one. i don't even feel mostly comfortable on single screen hardly now.

is that a 30" in front of the portrait 24"s?

if so... im keeping my single 37" for awhile... it looks to be bigger and sans bezels

im totally getting eyefinity - but i think ill wait until we get an announcement from samsung about their specific displays...

not point in spending close to a G now and being in any way disappointed in it all

thanks for the pics pretzel... that really helped me make up my mind

is that a 30" in front of the portrait 24"s?

if so... im keeping my single 37" for awhile... it looks to be bigger and sans bezels

im totally getting eyefinity - but i think ill wait until we get an announcement from samsung about their specific displays...

not point in spending close to a G now and being in any way disappointed in it all

thanks for the pics pretzel... that really helped me make up my mind

One thing tho is that with your 37" you see things bigger but you don't actually see more. But ya, no bezel to deal with.

This thread makes me very impatient, ya I could buy a 5870 now or I could wait a while and have extra money to possible get larger screens once the price drops a bit. Decisions, decisions...

I have a question for anyone with an eyefinity setup: how well does it work when NOT gaming? My understanding is that windows treats your 3 displays as a single one, so does that mean that if you maximize a window, it stretches across all three screens? I personally love that Win7 automatically resizes windows when I pull them to the top / sides of the screen (or Windows Key + arrow), and it would frustrate me endlessly if I had to hand resize all the windows I use that aren't games. Is there a way around this little nuisance?

xjmtx.. awesome setup with the widescreen fixed COD.

thank you very much. the aluminum bezel is MUCH less noticeable when playing, it seems to fade out a little better. though the goofy stretching is a little annoying. hopefully FOV patches come out making it not so stretched, it isn't horrible but it'd definitely be better that way.

You can always just get a 50" 1080p plasma.:D I mean if I had to choose between 3 small monitors and 1 huge one..I'd rather just have one huge one, it's more practical.

You can always just get a 50" 1080p plasma.:D I mean if I had to choose between 3 small monitors and 1 huge one..I'd rather just have one huge one, it's more practical.

It's the pixels, it's not the size. With the 50" tv, everything looks better yes, but you see LESS of the game world around you. Look at the FPS pics that the OP posted. You can see enemies and allies coming from your peripheral vision. With the single 30" tv, you're only seeing the stuff that happens directly in front of you. It would be a lot harder sneaking up on the guy who has the super wide 3x1 monitor setup than a guy who can only see directly in front.

Serious question now -- where can I find triple monitor mounts? Dell sells mounts but only for up to two screens at a time. I'm also debating between the u2410 and the nec 23" 1080p ips for Eyefinity setup.

It's the pixels, it's not the size. With the 50" tv, everything looks better yes, but you see LESS of the game world around you. Look at the FPS pics that the OP posted. You can see enemies and allies coming from your peripheral vision. With the single 30" tv, you're only seeing the stuff that happens directly in front of you. It would be a lot harder sneaking up on the guy who has the super wide 3x1 monitor setup than a guy who can only see directly in front.

Serious question now -- where can I find triple monitor mounts? Dell sells mounts but only for up to two screens at a time. I'm also debating between the u2410 and the nec 23" 1080p ips for Eyefinity setup.
Good choices, but I'd go with the U2410. :)

until they can make monitors with bazels so tiny you will barely notice them, multiple monitor setups will look like ass

I just picked up 3 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994039 They were on sale this weekend at Buy.com and I bit.

I was looking at a triple monitor setup, but couldn't find any that I was sure would hold 3x1 24" or 30" LCD and figured three seperate mounting arms would be much more versatile for positioning. Plus, three seperate arms will probably have more re-use options than a single enormous triple mount.

I think people really need to chill and wait on this. Wait for Xfire to work and for 5870x2's to come out. I've seen a eyefinity setup in person and the bezels did bother me. Landscape mode sucked other than Dirt and NFS Shift. And moving from landscape to portrait just to play a game is a pain in the ass.

But moreover, I'm a FPS freak, I need to have 60 constant at least @ max settings. I've been able to do that on my 30" except with Crysis.

Now moving on what also matters is the fact that Normal viewing for webpages etc sucks. And anyone who has worked on mutli-display setups (such as CAD designers) for the past 10 years know this themselves.

Also there are new aspect ratios out, like Phillips 21:9 LCD.

As far as eyefinity goes, until games support it fully and are written with it in mind, I think people should wait. But then again most of us, incl myself are always on the bleeding edge and want to be first.

I think for me, having a 30" right now, I'd like to get 2 more 30" in portrait, but I need 2 X 5870x2's for that.

I think people forget about who much FramesPerSeconds some of us want.

Some games are unplayable on just a single 5870 for me, unless you lower settings, and I dont like lowering settings.

Back