Eyefinity 3x24" vs. Dell 3007wfp-hc

I have 2 30" Dell 3007wfp's and would like to put them into portrait mode. The stock stand is too low to change these to portrait. Does anyone know of SPECIFIC stands or solutions that can be applied? Looking for desk stands, not wall mounts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have 2 30" Dell 3007wfp's and would like to put them into portrait mode. The stock stand is too low to change these to portrait. Does anyone know of SPECIFIC stands or solutions that can be applied? Looking for desk stands, not wall mounts.

Thanks!
I use these for my set up. not sure if the desk mounts will support a 30" but it supports my 26"

Here and here

The first link is not tall enough for portrait on a 30" widescreen.. sadly

The second link does not apply for me since im using a glass desk.. russian roulette LOL

General notes: I cannot agree/understand the people using 40"+ TV's as their primary display and saying it dominates the multiple monitor setup. That seems fine if you sit 4 feet away and want to settle for 1080 res and only use it for gaming.

But thank you for the links!

The bezel issue is very annoying, the only other comparable option to running 3x30" 3007wfp's in portrait would be installing a 1080p projector and even then you are degrading to 1080 res and the physical screen face wouldn't have the sharp finish, even on matte. There are pro's..my HD projector is 6000:1 contrast compared to the 3007wfp's 700:1 and the refresh rate is instant. With using both, the image, sharpness, clarity on the 3007's is not even comparable to any HD projector or crappy 40"+ TV setup. Too bad there isn't some company that can just custom mod the screens to fuse them together..or is there?

Last edited:
That looks awesome. I'd still take the 30" though. The bezel is annoying, but perhaps someone will come out with some monitors to fix that.

So I just read the entire thread over the past couple of days...Zorachus, which setup are you currently using? Has the initial shock & awe of Eyefinity worn off yet? Just when I thought one setup would be cool, you kept switching it up and pointing out disadvantages of the previous setup. After reading your glowing praise of the portrait setup, I never would have thought you would go back to landscape.

I've pretty much decided to wait for thin bezel monitors, as I have some reservations about Eyefinity and thin bezels remove one of my foremost concerns. I would love to experiment with this technology but I know if I bought 3 24's now I'd end up selling them for ones with thin bezels later.

General notes: I cannot agree/understand the people using 40"+ TV's as their primary display and saying it dominates the multiple monitor setup. That seems fine if you sit 4 feet away and want to settle for 1080 res and only use it for gaming.

I have a 50 inch Pioneer elite plasma. The picture quality and fluidity of motion destroy ANY lcd, bar none. The main monitors I have right now are a HP W2407h and Dell 3007wfp-hc, which are pretty decent gaming monitors. But when I switch back to them after using the plasma for a while (like when my wife needs the TV for something), they look like utter garbage. It takes a couple days of use to readjust and make them look "normal" again. Piss poor quality LCDs don't look better just because you have three of them.

So I just read the entire thread over the past couple of days...Zorachus, which setup are you currently using? Has the initial shock & awe of Eyefinity worn off yet? Just when I thought one setup would be cool, you kept switching it up and pointing out disadvantages of the previous setup. After reading your glowing praise of the portrait setup, I never would have thought you would go back to landscape.

I've pretty much decided to wait for thin bezel monitors, as I have some reservations about Eyefinity and thin bezels remove one of my foremost concerns. I would love to experiment with this technology but I know if I bought 3 24's now I'd end up selling them for ones with thin bezels later.

Only reason I went back to Landscape, was when I picked up a Dell 2709WFP, the 27" LCD for a good deal off Craigslist, and at that size, the 27" is noticeably bigger and taller looking than the narrow 24" size, so it fits the Landscape mode much better in my opinion, where as the 24" just seemed too skinny and not tall enough, if that makes sense ?

But the Portrait mode with the three 24" together looks fucking awesome, the image quality even seems higher for some reason when in Portrait mode, like it is showing more pixels vs Landscape ? I still debate on whether or not to go back to Portrait, the immersion factor is totally there on Portrait over Landscape

But my main reason for going back to Landscape mode, was a few comments made on the [H], people said your not getting what you paid for in Portrait, it is still just a 16:10 Aspect Ratio, nothing different a single large monitor can't get you. But in Landscape you get to see 2/3rd's more game world. The whole point of Eyefinity was to see more gaming on screen, to open up the game world to a much wider field of view, and Portrait does NOT get you that.

So now I have the 27" as my main/center screen, flanked by my two Dell 2408WFP's 24" monitors.

That looks awesome. I'd still take the 30" though. The bezel is annoying, but perhaps someone will come out with some monitors to fix that.

Same here, I considered selling on my 3007 WFP-HC to help fund 3x 1920x1200 monitors but then went NAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I want a good overall experience, even once they manage to fix the bezel "issue" we're still going to be left with a tiny range of monitors to chose from most of which will probably be crappy TN panels, getting a good S-IPS one will probably be impossible.

Wont sacrafice image quality just to go up in size, I will probably never stray from S-IPS until something better comes along, PVA isnt too bad but doesn't quite cut it for me.

Great thread.

If I were to get three 24" monitors for Eyefinity portrait mode, how does Windows treat the monitors when I'm not playing a game? Will Windows see one giant 3600x1920 monitor, or three 1920x1200 monitors? I'd like to be able to maximize a given application (e.g. Firefox or MS Excel, etc.) to any of the 3 monitors I choose, and not just blow up one program to 3600x1920.

Great thread.

If I were to get three 24" monitors for Eyefinity portrait mode, how does Windows treat the monitors when I'm not playing a game? Will Windows see one giant 3600x1920 monitor, or three 1920x1200 monitors? I'd like to be able to maximize a given application (e.g. Firefox or MS Excel, etc.) to any of the 3 monitors I choose, and not just blow up one program to 3600x1920.

You get one big desktop unless you disable eyefinity.

You get one big desktop unless you disable eyefinity.

Crap, I had imagined Eyefinity being automatically enabled/disabled (or at least an option to automate this feature) when you launch/close a 3D application such as a PC game. How many steps are required to switch into and out of Eyefinity mode with 3 monitors? Is it something as simple as right-clicking on an ATI icon in the taskbar and choosing a different profile, or do you have to go through the entire monitor setup wizard again?

Crap, I had imagined Eyefinity being automatically enabled/disabled (or at least an option to automate this feature) when you launch/close a 3D application such as a PC game. How many steps are required to switch into and out of Eyefinity mode with 3 monitors? Is it something as simple as right-clicking on an ATI icon in the taskbar and choosing a different profile, or do you have to go through the entire monitor setup wizard again?

If you watch the eyefinity video review by kyle that's exactly what you need to do. It's pretty simple but not one step simple.

I've read that you can set up profiles so that you can load settings on the fly but apparently it doesn't always work or is buggy.

Last edited:

Well it's cool that you've been able to experiment with so many different setups. I'm still weighing the pros and cons...

I've almost convinced myself that a triple 1920x1200 setup could be preferable to my Dell 30" (and I thought after going 2560x1600 I would not ever go back). But instead of dividing windows on my display and having a 1600 vertical, it might be nice to throw them on separate monitors with a 1920 vertical res (as Kyle noted, this would be nice for document editing and I think it would be awesome for forum browsing and programming as well). I'm just not sure how much of a hassle it is to get the windows maximized the way I'd want, since it'd be one big desktop and the Windows 7 snap feature probably wouldn't work the way I'd want across three monitors. Not sure if it would be any easier if I disabled Eyefinity once back at the desktop for a traditional multi-monitor setup.

A couple of things that concern me, aside from the bezels:

If I'm running a portrait setup and want to play a game that doesn't work with Eyefinity, I have to move the peripheral monitors aside and rotate the middle one back to landscape. That just seems like a pain.

I am stuck with ATI for the indefinite future. Because the 5870 is a great card, that doesn't sound so bad for now...but what if nVidia pulls another release like the G80 that just blows everything on the AMD side away? I wonder if all of these people that bought into Eyefinity have considered that, and are fine with suddenly being limited to one brand of card. I know it's all good right now, basking in the new glow of Eyefinity, but there have been quite a few people that have found themselves switching back to nVidia for one reason or another, and now you don't have that choice unless you are willing to give up Eyefinity. And if it's as awesome as it sounds, that doesn't sound like a choice I'd want to be forced to make. :(

Maybe I can hope that someone wanting to move to Fermi will put their 5870 and 3 monitors up in the FS section in a few months, and I can try Eyefinity for a much lower cost of entry. :D It's almost to the point where I want a dedicated Eyefinity setup in one corner and an nVidia rig with my 30" in the other corner, lol. Best of both worlds. That would be pretty [H]ard...oh man what would the GF think?

ard...oh man what would the GF think?

I prefer the 3 smaller 24: in Portrait way more than this large 30" on the other side you see here. The Immersion factor going to 3600x1920res is amazing :eek:

262.jpg

265.jpg

Which to you looks better, the large single monitor, or the 3 smaller together in Portrait ?

Hey Z, I'm not gonna lie. The 3 monitor setup looks amazing. I don't play WoW, but I've seen just about every screenshot you've posted throughout the various threads and your plethora of pics are somewhat to blame for me wanting to try EF. :)

I think 3 x 24's is definitely the way to go if you can't afford 3 x 27's, as I'd want as wide a horizontal view on my center display as possible (when not in landscape mode of course). It's too bad that the inexpensive 25.5/26/28" monitors are TN, because I suspect their poor vertical viewing angles might lead to undesirable color shift when viewed in portrait mode.

I'm just not sure I want to be chained to an ATI card for the next few generations. I had an X800 XT and a 4870, and they performed great but driver issues eventually led me back to nVidia. I've heard the 5870 drivers are better, but if at some point I wanted to go back to the green side I'd have to give up Eyefinity. If this was a technology that worked on any platform, or if nVidia came up with their own multi-display tech, I'd be that much closer to the verge. Decisions, grrr....

I as well went from a 30 inch 3007wfp-hc to 3 Asus 26 inch LCDs in an eyefinity setup. My main concerns were the bezels. I have no regrets making the move. I love the eyefinity setup. Gaming is so much more engrossing than it was before. I can say my worries about the bezels are no more. I dont even notice them-not even from day one when I set the LCDs up!

I'm just not sure I want to be chained to an ATI card for the next few generations. I had an X800 XT and a 4870, and they performed great but driver issues eventually led me back to nVidia. I've heard the 5870 drivers are better, but if at some point I wanted to go back to the green side I'd have to give up Eyefinity. If this was a technology that worked on any platform, or if nVidia came up with their own multi-display tech, I'd be that much closer to the verge. Decisions, grrr....

The drivers are not that great. They are still immature with eyefinity. I have been plagued. with many driver Issues. but have to stick it out because of the doe I have sunk into it. I'm sure the drivers will get better as time goes on.

Hey just get another computer. and make it green. I will stick it out with ATI Eyefinity. or rather be chained to it , but I have my Other computer. That is Green. and remain that way. so you can keep the options open ;)

I am stuck with ATI for the indefinite future. Because the 5870 is a great card, that doesn't sound so bad for now...but what if nVidia pulls another release like the G80 that just blows everything on the AMD side away? I wonder if all of these people that bought into Eyefinity have considered that, and are fine with suddenly being limited to one brand of card. I know it's all good right now, basking in the new glow of Eyefinity, but there have been quite a few people that have found themselves switching back to nVidia for one reason or another, and now you don't have that choice unless you are willing to give up Eyefinity. And if it's as awesome as it sounds, that doesn't sound like a choice I'd want to be forced to make. :(

Maybe I can hope that someone wanting to move to Fermi will put their 5870 and 3 monitors up in the FS section in a few months, and I can try Eyefinity for a much lower cost of entry. :D It's almost to the point where I want a dedicated Eyefinity setup in one corner and an nVidia rig with my 30" in the other corner, lol. Best of both worlds. That would be pretty [H]ard...oh man what would the GF think?
My secondary system has a QX9650/SLI'd 285s. You can do it. :p
I'm not alone in hoping nVidia allows multi-monitor gaming with "Nfinity".
That would help monitor manufacturers know a larger market waits for improvements.

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just wanted to express thanks for your discussion here. It's actually helped me out quite a lot.

The reason being that I just ordered an Alienware M15x (going to college next year, that computer is going to ROCK! :cool: ) and I've been researching some options for external displays.

I've also been keeping up with the eyefinity technology for a while now, as it looks crazy cool. But the realities are that its just too expensive (you need at least a ~$1000 computer, more for better results, at least a $1000 for displays, more for larger screen estate that really makes the payoff, etc). Therefore, because of all the comparison shots that you guys posted between the 3007 and the 24" in portrait, I believe that my best bet is going with something like the u2711 or the 3007wfp. While I would LIKE to have an eyefinity setup, the realities are that my computer won't have the power to run three 24" in portrait and that 30" looks big enough for my monitor in college anyway. Thanks for the help in deciding to wait for eyefinity until later guys! :D

is their anyway to get a 20,30,20 setup with a 27in screen in the middle? cuz no way in hell i'll pay over $1000 for a gaming screen.

I've tried EF with 3 2209WA's (borrowed two, own one) and I must be one of the few but right now it doesn't *do it* enough for me to replace the 3007wfp-hc. That's not so say that I think it isn't a really cool tech that is still rather immature, but right now I can't see dropping $1300~ on 3 quality 24's anytime soon to try and shock myself that way when the 22's didn't.

Nice setups in here tho.

Had to make account just for this.

So I was going to buy U2312hm and 2 later, but then I noticed this thread and how you praised potrait view. The queston is, would 16:9 and 23" look A LOT worse than your 16:10 24" in potrait. Ofc I could also just buy something like 27" Tn and jsut go lanscape but I think I would still prefer U2312hm than 27" in a landscape (Atleast my wallet would)...

U2312hm x 3 = 717 (euros)
U2412M x 3 = 987 (euros)

Are there any other good monitor choices for Eyefinity (not even sure if even these are good for games :D )? :confused:

I had a similar setup, sold my 3007 for three U2211Hs last year.
It was great for about 3 months until I regretted selling my 30.

The novelty worn off for me and I stuck with a single monitor since then.
I currently own a U2410, just in case I want to go with three of them, but I doubt it.
I'm more liky to buy a U3011 than two U2410 monitors. Right now, cost wise, I can keep with 1920x1200 better than 5760x1200.

I had a similar setup, sold my 3007 for three U2211Hs last year.
It was great for about 3 months until I regretted selling my 30.

The novelty worn off for me and I stuck with a single monitor since then.
I currently own a U2410, just in case I want to go with three of them, but I doubt it.
I'm more liky to buy a U3011 than two more monitors. Right now, cost wise, I can keep with 1920x1200 better than 5760x1200.

I am in the same boat. Had a triple Eyefinity setup of 3 - 27" Dell 2709's the past 18 months, and it was cool, but I missed my single 30" Apple Cinema Display which was gorgeous for gaming. I did not like the stretched out image on the two side monitors in Eyefinity, it really made it distorted, and the way the bezels got in the way between the monitors. And for non gaming I hated Eyefinity as a desktop setup, just too wide of a setup for a desk.

I still prefer one huge display like a 30", or if there will ever be like a 33" or 36" single panel display of some crazy res like 3200 x 2000 :eek: Which I could see happening in a few years.

For me Eyefinity would only be cool, if there were almost bezel-less monitors, or a true curved panel, on a single display, which I think is coming in the near future, I have read that Samsung has some crazy panel tech in the works, that can be bended and folded, and shaped, and will be used for future smartphones and tablets. I could see in five years time or so, a big curved display, and not cost a million bucks.

So for now I am down to just a single 27" Dell 2709W, and very happy, gaming is easier to run, but definitely have my eye on the HP ZR30W 30" monitor, that will for sure be my next display most likely.

Had to make account just for this.

So I was going to buy U2312hm and 2 later, but then I noticed this thread and how you praised potrait view. The queston is, would 16:9 and 23" look A LOT worse than your 16:10 24" in potrait. Ofc I could also just buy something like 27" Tn and jsut go lanscape but I think I would still prefer U2312hm than 27" in a landscape (Atleast my wallet would)...

U2312hm x 3 = 717 (euros)
U2412M x 3 = 987 (euros)

Are there any other good monitor choices for Eyefinity (not even sure if even these are good for games :D )? :confused:

I think this is the problem that alot of people have with Eyefinity / Surround... Monitor Choice.

My Friend has three Dell 23" monitors (Non IPS) P series i think.... and he was the first to go eyefinity. He personally loves the setup, but after playing BC2 and L4D on it a few time it just never felt right. But i loved the idea so much that i decided to do an eyefinity setup anyway. After months of deliberation i ended up with three HP ZR24w's and its miles ahead of his setup.

Now we both run portrait, but 1st thing is his monitors are not IPS, so unless you are sitting at the desk you cant see whats going on. And depending on where you sit there is slight color variation. (Not as bad as i would have thought with TN panels, but definitely there) Second thing is his monitors are 16:9 they are just too narrow in my opinion for eyefinity portrait, i have a good 2 inch's additional width on each of my panels when they are rotated to portrait using 24" 16:10 monitors. It makes all the difference in the world. On top of this the Bezels on the HP ZR24's are very very easy to take off, so i took off the bezels on each monitor and ran black electrical tape down the metal part of each panel. This Hold the panels together and makes for fairly small bezels with no gaps.

Picking the right monitors, Running in landscape, and removing bezels makes eyefinity / surround move from a cool idea to a kick ass experience for me. Nothing like having a 46" 7 Million pixel display :)

You really should have started a new thread for this - the last post in this thread before today was 16 months ago.
I've been using a 30" monitor for five years, and I have had the opportunity to sit down and use eyefinity PCs on a few occasions, it just doesn't wow me that much. Apart from the technical issues you risk, DP dongles with AMD or needing two cards with nvidia, occasional refresh problems, requirement of display similarity, grouping restrictions, the need for a custom stand to run a lot of monitors in portrait mode, and the bezels being a distraction - ultimately unless you go portrait, the vertical resolution is just too low, and you're basically just looking at a small centre screen, with some quirky 'peripheral vision' on the secondary displays, which you're not paying enough attention to notice how horrendous the textures look with such a wide FoV. Portrait rectifies this issue, but unless done with very large displays just means you have an inferior version of a 30" monitor, one that has bezels cutting through it.

Geez way to think of every negative point... lol :)

He is right though, there are a lot of drawbacks and issues. On multiple occasions i wished i would have went with a 30', however after working through a problem and figuring out what config file to modify or whatever it is for a certain game, i am back to playing on a 46" 7 million pixel display :) If you are willing to tweak (Mainly older games) you will be just fine. The only game i own (almost 200 in Steam) that straight up does not work is BF2. Every other game does work with some tweaking here and there. Now it does seem that Landscape has more issues due to the ridiculous FOV.

Don't get me wrong, eyefinity is a snazzy idea and it does work fairly well these days, but there's a few issues you just won't ever fix by very nature of what you're doing - three separate physical products alongside each other, each with an external casing. Unless manufacturers start selling bare panels with joining hooks and prefabricated external frames for wide aspect (Business idea here!) that's always going to be an issue.

You really should have started a new thread for this - the last post in this thread before today was 16 months ago.
I've been using a 30" monitor for five years, and I have had the opportunity to sit down and use eyefinity PCs on a few occasions, it just doesn't wow me that much. Apart from the technical issues you risk, DP dongles with AMD or needing two cards with nvidia, occasional refresh problems, requirement of display similarity, grouping restrictions, the need for a custom stand to run a lot of monitors in portrait mode, and the bezels being a distraction - ultimately unless you go portrait, the vertical resolution is just too low, and you're basically just looking at a small centre screen, with some quirky 'peripheral vision' on the secondary displays, which you're not paying enough attention to notice how horrendous the textures look with such a wide FoV. Portrait rectifies this issue, but unless done with very large displays just means you have an inferior version of a 30" monitor, one that has bezels cutting through it.

One problem with 30" monitors is cost. For some of us there are old 1280 x 1024 monitors that we can use to create a Eyefinity setup with.
Old monitors are more square than modern widescreen ones so make a cheaper set-up with a better FoV.

This is fair criticism, but now that 27" 2560x1440 monitors are cheap, there's relatively little reason to buy the full-size 30s. You'd struggle to get a half-decent eyefinity setup for less than a Dell U2711.

Back