Eyefininty questions

Headcase_Fargone

Limp Gawd
I just found an intriguing deal on some 23" Dell IPS panels and was thinking now might be the time to take the plunge on Eyefinity, but I have a few questions after doing some preliminary research. I've been seeing some conflicting information posted to various forums over the past couple years, so was hoping to get the definitive, up-to-date answers from you guys.

I'm running two 2GB 6950s (unlocked), each with two DisplayPorts. I've read that connecting two monitors via DP and one via DVI can result in tearing and an overall bad experience. Is this still true? Also related, is it still not possible to utilize the DP ports on the second (slave) card?

Not sure if linking products on other sights is kosher, but they're the Dell UltraSharp U2312HMs. Has anyone used these in an Eyefinity setup? Results?

I just found an intriguing deal on some 23" Dell IPS panels and was thinking now might be the time to take the plunge on Eyefinity, but I have a few questions after doing some preliminary research. I've been seeing some conflicting information posted to various forums over the past couple years, so was hoping to get the definitive, up-to-date answers from you guys.

I'm running two 2GB 6950s (unlocked), each with two DisplayPorts. I've read that connecting two monitors via DP and one via DVI can result in tearing and an overall bad experience. Is this still true? Also related, is it still not possible to utilize the DP ports on the second (slave) card?

Not sure if linking products on other sights is kosher, but they're the Dell UltraSharp U2312HMs. Has anyone used these in an Eyefinity setup? Results?

Its true that you cannot use the ports on the slave card to output video.

Also, I don't know that you have many other choices aside from DP and DVI.. so yeah.. good luck!

i have eyefinity running two 7970s and i get tearing, but its not bad, just make your primary monitor the middle one so you dont notice it as much

Tearing can be eliminated by getting an AMD card with 3 or more displayports and connecting them to displaport monitors or using 3 of the same active adapters and connecting them DVI. It works best with 3 identical monitors with the same resolution and refresh rates.

That's not really an option right now. I was thinking that having two fairly powerful cards already it wouldn't be much to get the monitors. But if I have to buy new monitors AND replace two video card it doesn't seem worth it.

That's a bit disappointing. Thanks for saving me the money, though.

Honestly I think that people who complain about the tearing are people that aren't generally happy with anything in life. Like Deltief said, put the odd interface on the side monitor and be done with it.

The tearing is one of the most noticeable instances of it I've ever seen with the eyefinity set up, but as mentioned earlier, putting it on a monitor that is not your main makes it completely irrelevant and hard to pick up on while gaming. If I have friends watching they obviously pick up on it though.

My main rig is getting an overhaul, so I'm using my secondary pc which has an amd card. First thing I noticed even with the settings down is the screen tearing, something that wasn't nearly as prevelant on the nvidia solution.

Back