Eye-strain with new monitor - how did you deal with it?

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
I already said different LCD technologies require different eye focus. This was especially obvious to me when switching from VA to IPS. In my case this didn't result in any eye strain however, just in me looking at panel differently and I actually like IPS presentation more even despite there being nothing tangible to focus at or perhaps exactly for that reason.

If some people as it seems are less flexible in these kind of things then it might as well be that VA panels are better for them. I must admit that VA are in some way more like flat surface in that eyes have at least surface to focus at, unlike IPS which seems to be more like watching transparent mosaic of colored glass.
Can you explain what you mean by these statements? I'm noticing something similar when comparing my IPS to the VA, but I'm not sure how to articulate it. Why would VA produce a more flat surface versus IPS? I thought it was the low haze unit I'm primarily comparing the VA against, but then I noticed something similar with the matte IPS.

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
I did not, but as you will see in the response I just wrote to your other thread on these forums (coincidentally before I read this response of yours), I’ve come to the conclusion over the past year that there are many more things to consider than just the panel, such as room lighting and window position. I just bought a Pixio Px275h because it has a dpi of 108 (which I have identified to be the right amount for my own eyesight to be comfortable, which I realized after using a 40 inch 4K TV as a monitor which had a GPA of 110), 95 Hz to minimize lower frame rate eye strain (I wasn’t willing to pay another hundred dollars just to go up to 144 Hz), and dci-p3 color gamut because I am pretty sensitive to color quality. I will receive the monitor next week and once I have used it for a little bit I will be sure to post a review on hardforum.
So how did you find the IPS screen compared to your VA? No update since this post of yours.

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

Take a look at the pictures here showing the pixel arrangement of IPS and VA. Rather different, and you can appreciate why IPS is more confusing to the eyes.

x900f-pixels-small.jpg

sk9000-pixels-small.jpg

Here are the full-sized versions of those same images:
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/sony/x900f/x900f-pixels-large.jpg
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/lg/sk9000/sk9000-pixels-large.jpg

These images also explain why VA has a subjectively flatter feel that many find easier to focus on for extended periods.

Last edited:

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
So how did you find the IPS screen compared to your VA? No update since this post of yours.
Hi! Yes, sorry, I've been swamped with work, and I still will be for another week or so. I've been really happy with this Pixio monitor, it is outstanding. Colors are really good, especially if you like punchy ones, kind of like looking at my iPad but with a matte finish. No eyestrain whatsoever, other than having to turn the brightness down to %40 because this thing is bright (even if it's only certified to 400 nits, I've never had a monitor that gets this bright). Watching Hulu and Netflix on this thing is amazing if you use the apps that can stream at actual good quality 1080p, unlike browsers. The 95hz are really noticeable, I'm starting to get what people say about HFR - I don't think I'd like to go back to 60hz anymore.

I'm still planning on doing a subjective review of the Pixio, sometime in the next 2 weeks, once I can carve some time to take some nice pictures and write a decent post. I just returned to the US from Europe a couple weeks ago and I've been quarantined, plus remote work kicking my butt, well, I've had no time at all. Hopefully in a few days I can take the pictures and write about my experience with the display. I can tell you so far though, that it'll be a very positive post. Probably the monitor I've been happiest with in the past 10 years. Bit of backlight bleed in the lower left corner, but that's my only con so far. More details soon.