Eye strain from Dell S3222DGM

Vince_M

n00b
I bought this monitor yesterday and from the start after some short usage I get eye strain and fatigue and maybe a little headhache (?).

Settings I changed:

- Custom color (Red 98, Green 100, Blue 95)

- Brightness is set to 65

- Response time is Super fast

Everything else is on factory settings. In Windows 10 resolution is 2540x1440 and frequency is set to 165Hz.

This is my first encounter with 165Hz (only used 60Hz) and this screen size. Do I need to give my eyes a little time to get used to it? Maybe change some other settings?

Last edited:
This monitor IPS get a VA untill Oled comes out. IPS strains heck out of my eyes.

This monitor IPS get a VA untill Oled comes out. IPS strains heck out of my eyes.
New wave of old BS
galaga-game-card.png

Dell S3222DGM has FYI a VA panel 🤣

Replace brain and try again 🤪

I bought this monitor yesterday and from the start after some short usage I get eye strain and fatigue and maybe a little headhache (?).
Maybe you had normal headache?

If not then probably your eyes just do not react well to this monitor backlight. It is somewhat universal thing but it is rather hard to assess which monitor is good from opinions. Some people are generally much less affected and some will report everything being bad. Some will try to sell you their conclusions based on limited data eg. that eyestrain is caused by panel type.

My opinion about panel types not affecting eyestrain is caused by experience with all sorts of panel types and having used multiple monitors of each panel type which did and did not cause eyestrain. Biggest difference of the same panel type (IPS in this case - my favourite image quality wise) was between Acer XB271HK and LG 27GP950 which replaced it. The first I could literally not look at at 300 nits and second causes less eyestrain at 460 nits than first one at 150 nits. It was pretty ridiculous to have dimmer display offending my eyes and next to it super bright one which feels like "more, gimme more!" 🤩

Offending panels have this blue-yellow thing going on. Like you have more or less proper 6500K whitepoint and still monitor seems somewhat blueish and yellow at the same time. Good monitors feel pure white, like milk.

LG 27GP950 has KSF LED backlight which is unlikely to appear in any monitor with strobing due to long persistence of red when switching it off. Another good for my eyes backlight type is RGB-LED found in eg. HP LP2480zx. This one would be perfect for strobing (the HP in question is comfortable despite having very strong strobing, at ~175Hz, enough for strobing to be easily visible even in normal usage... still it feels more comfortable than most monitors) and everything really but it was expensive and is thus not used.

I do not want to sound gloomy and doomy but you might have especially hard time to find strobing monitor with good light spectrum. Most LED monitors I have seen are only fine at low brightness levels 😕
But there is another way to look at it fortunately! I would recommend looking for monitors with high level of HDR brightness. If your monitor have something like 1000 nits and it has terrible eyestrainy light then it would be completely unusable for HDR hence you can expect they put more attention when selecting parts used for backlight and color filters and used actual eye-friendly parts to make such monitors. It is not guaranteed it will be good but at least you can make assumption it should be better than monitors which only have to be watchable at SDR levels 🙂

This is VA panel. Despite that is curved it was also a very nice model with minimal backlight bleeding. I don't know is it true but I read the more aggressive the curve, the more backlight bleeding you get.
New wave of old BS
View attachment 511260

Dell S3222DGM has FYI a VA panel 🤣

Replace brain and try again 🤪

Maybe you had normal headache?

If not then probably your eyes just do not react well to this monitor backlight. It is somewhat universal thing but it is rather hard to assess which monitor is good from opinions. Some people are generally much less affected and some will report everything being bad. Some will try to sell you their conclusions based on limited data eg. that eyestrain is caused by panel type.

My opinion about panel types not affecting eyestrain is caused by experience with all sorts of panel types and having used multiple monitors of each panel type which did and did not cause eyestrain. Biggest difference of the same panel type (IPS in this case - my favourite image quality wise) was between Acer XB271HK and LG 27GP950 which replaced it. The first I could literally not look at at 300 nits and second causes less eyestrain at 460 nits than first one at 150 nits. It was pretty ridiculous to have dimmer display offending my eyes and next to it super bright one which feels like "more, gimme more!" 🤩

Offending panels have this blue-yellow thing going on. Like you have more or less proper 6500K whitepoint and still monitor seems somewhat blueish and yellow at the same time. Good monitors feel pure white, like milk.

LG 27GP950 has KSF LED backlight which is unlikely to appear in any monitor with strobing due to long persistence of red when switching it off. Another good for my eyes backlight type is RGB-LED found in eg. HP LP2480zx. This one would be perfect for strobing (the HP in question is comfortable despite having very strong strobing, at ~175Hz, enough for strobing to be easily visible even in normal usage... still it feels more comfortable than most monitors) and everything really but it was expensive and is thus not used.

I do not want to sound gloomy and doomy but you might have especially hard time to find strobing monitor with good light spectrum. Most LED monitors I have seen are only fine at low brightness levels 😕
But there is another way to look at it fortunately! I would recommend looking for monitors with high level of HDR brightness. If your monitor have something like 1000 nits and it has terrible eyestrainy light then it would be completely unusable for HDR hence you can expect they put more attention when selecting parts used for backlight and color filters and used actual eye-friendly parts to make such monitors. It is not guaranteed it will be good but at least you can make assumption it should be better than monitors which only have to be watchable at SDR levels 🙂
No, didn't have headache before using this monitor or any other monitor, mobile phone or tablet. I don't know the reason, maybe it is something with first time using higher frequency or brightness. By Rtings review monitor should be completely flicker-free. I googled this problem and there were many situations like mine, for example Samsung G9 or iPhone 13, some people got eye strain really quickly.

I returned monitor at the last day of my return window, I couldn't risk it to leave it with this problem. Before returning in the last four days it seemed to me that eyes were less heavy when using monitor (and no headache), like it was adjustment phase but it was simply risky to leave it when I wasn't 100% sure.

It was nice using 165Hz but after couple of days you get used to it and when wow effect is gone everything in gameplay seems like it was before when I was using 60Hz monitor. When I switched back to 60Hz everything looked stuttery and then I realize how big is the difference:) I suppose I could go back to lower frequency but that would need also some adjustment period.

Last edited:
Back