Extremely stupid question: MMORPG recommendation

kopekci

n00b
LOL I know you are going to mock in the most painful way possible. Nevertheless I am going to ask my question.

I have been playing FPS and strategy games since I started using computer. Multiplayer gaming was fun as hell. BF3 is the one that I have most enjoyed. But fed up with doing same things, shooting around, dealing with cheaters, same maps everyday. I memorized every single rock in maps in every single game. I am really bored. I am looking for new tastes. I tried to give it a shot by buying Diablo 3 but it was a huge disappointment :mad:

Now it (WOW) has been almost 6-7 years that wow released I guess. If I start playing it it will be my first MMORPG experience. What do you think? Should I give it a go? OR what MMORPG should I give it a try?

Diablo 3 was crappy sad to say though , very big disappointment on blizzards part to release such a shitty game.

As for MMORPG try these out , WOW , RIFT , Star Wars , Lord of the rings is F2P. Those are about the best out there currently!

Most of the major MMOs have free trials up until a certain level, just try a few of them out and see what you prefer, they're all very similar to be honest, I preferred the open world RvR combat of Warhammer Online and the group PvE content of Rift, I didn't play either for more than a few months however.

Most of the mmorpgs have some sort of free to play. You might be nerfed a bit but you can still play. Check out how active the game is and if you want to dump money in to buying it. Check out EQ2, Aion, Rift and WOW. Good luck

As has been said, most (except SW:ToR and Secret World) will have some sort of free trial. I have played MMORPGs since EverQuest came out, and I have played most of them. For "normal" RPGs, try EverQuest 2, Wow, Rift, maybe Age of Conan or WarHammer for PvP, or the original Guild Wars. If you like space based stuff, there is Eve online, and there is Planetside for the MMO shooter crowd. There are a million asian Free 2 Play MMOs out there as well.

I will warn you, these can be addictive, heh. Just don't pay for any one of them until you have tried a few. Don't get completely caught up in graphics. After a while, the mechanics of how the game operates will overshadow any eye candy.

Wow is still the best mmo in my opinion. If you wanted to get into mmo's I'd just start with the best and play Wow for your first mmo. Level up and have fun, familiarize yourself with the game for the next few months.

Sometime around Sep-Nov Wow will release the Mist of Panderia expansion pack, by then you'll have enough experience to get into a raiding guild. A lot of the fun in Wow comes from participating in an active raiding guild. You'll get access to the best items in the game and will get to experience all the content and lore.

Tera is fun if you like FPS games. It has FPS style combat. You actually have to aim at and shoot targets. You also can jump out of the way to dodge attacks (including melee).

You could wait a couple of months and jump into Guild Wars 2 when it releases, should be around August,

Diablo 3 was crappy sad to say though , very big disappointment on blizzards part to release such a shitty game.

As for MMORPG try these out , WOW , RIFT , Star Wars , Lord of the rings is F2P. Those are about the best out there currently!

A month ago if I read this I would have disagreed with you but I finally opened my eyes to what Blizzard did to the franchise. I know its just a game but my God did they screw that game up and made it worse with those godawful patches.

If you want something newer you could try Tera. It's only about 3 months into release, so it may give you a different experience than if you try some other games. WoW isn't bad if you just want a game which you play almost on your own anymore with dungeon/raid finders. Rift is fairly good and takes a lot of good things from most games that have come out in the last decade unlike most current MMOs coming out. I would probably recommend that the most.

MMO's that do well are more of a hobby, and most of them don't exist in the same form as when they were successful anymore.

MMO's as just pick up and play games are a terrible idea, and the genre is full of complete garbage that follows the Mcmodel of 15 minute instant action gameplay. Casualization of the term MMO has been nothing but a money grab for the farmville generation demographic.

WoW or GW2 are your only viable options, let's be honest here

I'm not an MMO guy, but Terra seems different with it's unique to MMO gameplay. The core mechanics seem more interesting than any other subscription MMO. If I were planning to shell out the monthly MMO fee, I'd at least give that consideration.

Tera is fun if you like FPS games. It has FPS style combat. You actually have to aim at and shoot targets. You also can jump out of the way to dodge attacks (including melee).

Yes, I was going to say this exactly. Tera would be a good starter MMO for him.

WoW
GW2
Tera
Diablo 3*

WoW and Tera both have a free trial, GW2 isn't out just yet. D3 is fun for a single play through, also has a trial.

I think the gameplay of Secret World and Star Wars are rubbish. Sadly I can't recommend any of them to you without reservations.

Guild wars 2 , beautiful ,immense and game play that rewards players for playing together.
Can't wait ...

I'm not an MMO guy, but Terra seems different with it's unique to MMO gameplay. The core mechanics seem more interesting than any other subscription MMO. If I were planning to shell out the monthly MMO fee, I'd at least give that consideration.

I've been playing Tera and having fun but it's got a serious lack of content in the endgame. A content patch is coming Soon(tm) but even that won't put it on par with what, say, Cataclysm had at launch. Tera has 2 endgame dungeons and no raid content(ToT doesn't count, and the Nexus is laughably stupid).

Isn't Tera really really really grindy and made for really hardcore gamers?

The endgame is pretty grindy, but I don't see how that makes it for "hardcore" gamers. I mean I may need to run ToT several hundred times to get all my glyphs but that's just a matter of "There's no content" rather than "omg this game is so hardcore". ToT is not difficult, at all, you just have to do it until your fingers fall off.

Isn't Tera really really really grindy and made for really hardcore gamers?

No its not. Comparing Tera in scope to something like WoW is really not a fair comparison for Tera. WoW is massive , there is quite a bit to do but ultimately WoW is broken and badly. Tera just bored me within a week. Rift bored me within 2 weeks and SW:TOR bored me within a month and half.

I wouldn't recommend WoW to anyone anymore. They've changed so much and not for the better. The last few large content patches have just altered the game so heavily that unless you purely want to play for the empty/meaningless achievements or pvp with your buddies (so nothing deep) than you'll find raiding is broken , ranked PVP is a mess because Arena's are all about class combo's that are overpowered during that moment and time. Ranked BG's are full of geared out teams that steam roll pugs. Dungeon runs get very boring very fast and often suck because pugs do some of the dumbest shit at the worst times.

I would wait for Guild Wars 2 right now. However if you don't mind some age , EQ and EQ2 are still pretty good and both are very deep as well.

I wouldn't recommend WoW to anyone anymore. They've changed so much and not for the better. The last few large content patches have just altered the game so heavily that unless you purely want to play for the empty/meaningless achievements or pvp with your buddies (so nothing deep) than you'll find raiding is broken , ranked PVP is a mess because Arena's are all about class combo's that are overpowered during that moment and time. Ranked BG's are full of geared out teams that steam roll pugs. Dungeon runs get very boring very fast and often suck because pugs do some of the dumbest shit at the worst times.

Kind of under the same impression since 4.0.0 and later it has been getting worse, not just the recent patches. I used to love playing WoW up until the changes for Cataclysm launch were implemented. Now the game is very lonely and except for people in your guild you rarely group with people on your server or even talk to them. I hate what WoW has become because I very much enjoyed WotLK raiding and BGs, but with every patch the game seems to be getting worse.

Kind of under the same impression since 4.0.0 and later it has been getting worse, not just the recent patches. I used to love playing WoW up until the changes for Cataclysm launch were implemented. Now the game is very lonely and except for people in your guild you rarely group with people on your server or even talk to them. I hate what WoW has become because I very much enjoyed WotLK raiding and BGs, but with every patch the game seems to be getting worse.

You definitely dont want to start with WoW now... I played since beta and continued to do so for the next ~5 years. The first few years were great but the late expansions really ait. It is NOTHING but a money grab rnow with cheap and petty little things trying to make you keep paying that monthly fee.

Definitely wait another ~2 months for GW2. Or try out other ones out now.

Wondering when they'll finally implement a RMAH in WoW similar to how D3 has. I know they're doing some massive gold dumps in MoP where you can buy items/mounts or something, but that's not the same

guild wars 2 looks very promising..

starwars was a cool game for single player and a little bit of multiplayer haha

Honestly surprised more people aren't suggesting RIFT. It's a great game with frequent updates and a really smooth learning curve for new players--plus they've implemented a mentor system that allows higher level players to "level-down" to play with lower level folks, so the lower zones are more populated than they used to be. Plus, once you get to max level, there's always a TON of stuff to do.

Rift is a quality MMO. If you don't want to wait for GW2, I'd suggest LotRO or Rift. Rift has a sub, LotRO is F2P.

EDIT: Rift has a free trial to level 20, which plenty of time to get a feel for the game. And LOTRO is F2P, so it's free to try also (but you may have to spend a bit, depending how much grinding you want to do). As others have said, almost all the major MMOs offer free trials of some sort, so you don't lose anything except time to find one you like.

I would recommend World of Warcraft or Rift. WoW might be nearly eight years old now, but its game play experience far outshines even newer MMO games (lol Star Wars).

Wait for Guild Wars 2, which releases and has no monthly fee in the coming month and a half.

One thing about Tera's sub is they introduced a way to trade game time in game (similar to EVE's plex). Right now on my server you can make the amount of money needed for 1 month game time in <2 hrs solo farming on any of the dps classes. Something to consider.

I would go with Guild Wars 2. Pre-order it and play in the last beta weekend coming up in a few weeks.

Glad to see that there are people not praising Diablo 3.

Glad to see that there are people not praising Diablo 3.

(temporary derail) Not sure why people are rooting against the game at this point. Seems silly to me. Why root for a game to not be worth the money millions of people paid for it?

Anyway, back on topic.

It depends on what you enjoy! Fantasy? Superheroes? PVP? Lots of people? Few people?

Guild Wars 2 is coming. Can you hold out until then?

City of Heroes has been out for a LONG time now, but the developers are still doing free updates for the game and it's free to play w/ microtransactions. If you like wearing a cape, that might be good.

I hear good things about The Secret World but damn, Funcom has a TERRIBLE track record.

WoW is about to release it's next expansion and they've got a sale going for the game and all of its current expansions right now. . I still have an account (started in 2004) and I still play it pretty frequently. They've constantly got new content.

LOL I know you are going to mock in the most painful way possible. Nevertheless I am going to ask my question.

I have been playing FPS and strategy games since I started using computer. Multiplayer gaming was fun as hell. BF3 is the one that I have most enjoyed. But fed up with doing same things, shooting around, dealing with cheaters, same maps everyday. I memorized every single rock in maps in every single game. I am really bored. I am looking for new tastes. I tried to give it a shot by buying Diablo 3 but it was a huge disappointment :mad:

Now it (WOW) has been almost 6-7 years that wow released I guess. If I start playing it it will be my first MMORPG experience. What do you think? Should I give it a go? OR what MMORPG should I give it a try?

welcome to mmorpg side of things.

I made the same switch.

For me the biggest thing is to actually be able to enjoy the game. With fps all of your attention is on the environment; however, with most mmorpgs you attention is shifted to the skill bars and UI. It is because of that I recommend staying away from any game which allow you to have more than ~10 skills up at a time, because all of your focus will be on hitting the skills right after they recharge. Get you a mouse like the g700/g600 that has buttons on them or a gaming pad.

As far as games, I can only recommend GW2. IMHO all the rest are cookie cutters of WoW and I hate WoW for the reasons mentioned above.

Completely agree with the posts supporting GW2.

-no raids
-5-man dungeons for late game
-no quests(besides personal story)
-Open world pvp compared to Daoc's and sPVP
-Dynamic events(multiplayer quests that allow multiple people to participate, earn rewards and have a real outcome on the world around you)
-No kill stealing(everyone gets loot and exp)
-No Node stealing( all nodes are instanced to the player so even though there maybe an iron ore node in the same place, we both can mine from it without having to worry about lost mats)
-Active combat(position, dodging, aoe placement)

Completely agree with the posts supporting GW2.

-no raids
-5-man dungeons for late game
-no quests(besides personal story)
-Open world pvp compared to Daoc's and sPVP
-Dynamic events(multiplayer quests that allow multiple people to participate, earn rewards and have a real outcome on the world around you)
-No kill stealing(everyone gets loot and exp)
-No Node stealing( all nodes are instanced to the player so even though there maybe an iron ore node in the same place, we both can mine from it without having to worry about lost mats)
-Active combat(position, dodging, aoe placement)

quick and dirty run down. Plus repeating my post, only 8 skills keeps the focus on the game, not the skill bar.

. If I start playing it it will be my first MMORPG experience. What do you think? Should I give it a go? OR what MMORPG should I give it a try?

For a good experience for your first MMORPG. It's without a doubt World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is now the "gold standard" for MMORPGs now. Friendly UI and a very addictive game play. You can solo pretty much everything (non-instance/group quests) by yourself (you can also do instance queueing if you want to get your feet wet at group play in the begining. The game is pretty forgiving at the early instances). World of warcraft is a pay to play model.

There is also Guild Wars 2 which I am trying. It seems fun but I haven't really played all the classes yet to get a good feel of the game. Guild Wars 2 is a buy to play model.

There is also Tera online which I enjoyed. Great graphics, very good action type game play. Very unique gameplay. But I am stuck with the limitation of the developer now. I can't really enjoy the game at 2560x1600 because the developers doesn't support multiGPUs (at the moment) and the game current UI is "lagging" the game. At this point I can't play the game till they fix the multiGPU issue and UI issue. But I am the minority in this issue. People who play at 1920x1200 report little or no issues with their hardware. Tera is a pay to play model.

Then to kill time I got Final Fantasy XIV. There is a version 2.0 in the works that will add significant changes to the game (rumor has it, the game will feel more WoW like). The reason why I went back was, becaues Final Fantasy XI was my first MMORPG. The game was unforgiving (FFXI)! You could solo up to level 10, after that you had to party or you can't level up. When you died, you lost exp and can de-level! Bad groups were highly discouraged. I eventually quit becaues it was consuming my life and I had to stop because It was my senior year in high school at that time, didn't want my grades to be low so I wouldn't be able to get into the university of my choice. As of right now, Final Fantasy XIV has the worst UI I have ever used for a MMORPG. It's clunky , it makes you go into too many menus for simple things like inventory or equipping your items. I wouldn't recomment this game unless you like grinding or are a hardcore final fantasy fan. Final Fantasy XIV is a pay to pay model.

So if you want to get your feet wet for MMORPGs try World of Warcraft first. I think it's free to play till level 20. You can get a good feel of the game. Also the game doesn't require a beefy system to play. I hope this helped.

I'm not an MMORPG guy, coming from the ADHD world of reflexes and flanking and shit like you. But AoC really tweaked my nipples with the directional attacking, shielding and all that stuff. Might take a while to get used to it, but it's free to play now so it's not like it's going to be a disaster if you don't like it. It's a very fun game, and I still play it.

I kind of liked my free month of Rift as well, but got very bored at the highest level. I don't like WoW clones - tried to join my WoW-playing friends 3 times on the free trials and it was a horrible, tepid experience - where you just hit a couple of hotkeys and watch a timer bar fill up. The Secret World is the next game by the AoC devs and the art style/monster design looks very dark and impressive. I want to try that, but I've honestly not heard anything about it or read any reviews so I can't recommend it.

Back