Extremely slow internet (wifi)

bpizzle1

Supreme [H]ardness
I first noticed the issue earlier when I was trying to play DOTA2 for the first time today (though after thinking about it, it has been going on for about a week...causing me to try a new AV program a few days ago). Anyway, today I noticed that I was getting random lag spikes into the 1000ms range. To test to see if it was just my PC, I used my wife's laptop and ran SpeedTest. Everything came back normal (20 down /10 up). I went back to my PC and tried to run SpeedTest and I can't even get it to finish a test. Every once in a while it will get past pinging the server and show a d/l speed of only 3Mbps. I've never had an issue before, and the only thing I've done recently is add 2 more sticks of RAM. Anyone have any ideas of where I should start trying to fix the problem?

PC specs are in my signature. Using Linksys WMP600N wi-fi adapter.

edit: I've tried the basic stuff like restarting the PC, updating the device drivers, etc.

Wire directly into your router and see what your speeds are like, then if that doest work wire directly to your modem. Use process of elimination.

Take out the 2x most recent Sticks of RAM!?

Check them for size/speed match maybe even look at the timings?

If your speeds pick back up, it`s RAM related.

But as tangoseal already suggested, wire to your router then modem and see how you go, you can do those without unscrewing you case and getting all dusty!:D

Take out the 2x most recent Sticks of RAM!?

Check them for size/speed match maybe even look at the timings?

If your speeds pick back up, it`s RAM related.

But as tangoseal already suggested, wire to your router then modem and see how you go, you can do those without unscrewing you case and getting all dusty!:D

It's the exact same RAM that I already had in the PC (Samsung 30nm stuff). I've heard of bad RAM causing all kinds of crazy stuff, but I've never heard of it slowing down an internet connection (especially when everything else is perfectly stable). I suppose it can't hurt to pull the new sticks and see what happens. As for wiring into the router, I already planned on doing that, but I had to wait until today to borrow a long enough cable from my brother. I have a feeling the results will be fine though since other devices connected to the router all seem to be functioning normally. I'll report back after I try both things.

Have you checked for new drivers for your wifi card? I would also look for a device or something causing interference, although this is less likely.. unless you're in a room made of pure copper mesh.

Just to put an end to the thread, my wireless card was apparently on the fritz. On a whim, I happened to be passing my local Microcenter, and I stopped in to buy a new wireless card since it seemed like the simplest solution. I figured if it didn't solve my problem, I'd just return the new card. Anyway, popped the new one in, connected to my network, and BAM no more problem (and I even get a better signal now). I'm glad it turned out to be a quick fix...I was worried it would be something weird since the problem seemed to change even based on which browser I used.

Back