Extreme lag in Steam?

DaveX

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, here's my problem. A lot of people I know play CS 1.6 so I decided to give steam another shot. But the thing is, I lag horribly on Steam. I know it's not my internet connection because I have 256k DSL and I get 60-80 ping on good CS 1.5 servers. I also used Steam when it was in its beta stages and got good ping also. On the steampowered website it says:
The following ports must be "open":
UDP 1200
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

I have a router and I think it must be blocking these ports. The problem is, I looked in the manual and I don't know how to open these ports. I mean, what do I put for the trigger port? Putting it in DMZ might help also, but I don't want to enable it everytime I play CS. But it's weird that I didn't lag in Steam beta but I am lagging now...

A picture of the router configuration:
SilentBuddha-Router.JPG

Please don't copy down my IP address and try to hack into it. I have Norton Internet Security 2004 and a hardware firewall enabled with the latest firmware :)

horrible laggy for me as well when other online games are'nt on my adsl setup

Norton's firewall doesn't like BO2k, so it sometimes slips through.

Just be sure to close up those ports.

Are you running a network through your house? Cause steam sometimes lags because its trying to spread the love through every computer in your house, steam or no steam on the box, and steam kills ram more than 1.5 ever could, cause 1.5 gas nades dont alg em, but steam does.

steam is a resource hog plain and simple...i do ok on my rig and a college network connection so its not bad...however i know lots of less fortunates that cant play didly...steam has problems that valve better fix if they dont want steam to fall off the face of the earth...or my desktop...

Well, my computer can handle CS just fine. No other computer in the house has Steam. The thing is, when I went to my friend's house who had 1.5mbps cable, Steam didn't lag at all. But I don't think it's my internet speed because I've run Steam beta lag-free. So it must be my router settings.

Anybody have any tips on what the trigger port thing is?

http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915705,97731900

* I'm getting an error saying I can't connect to Steam right now. Why?

Please check your internet connection to make sure it is functioning properly.

If you're sure that your 'Net connectivity is functioning but you are still unable to log in to Steam, it may be because the required ports are blocked by a device on your network (such as a router).

The following ports must be "open":
UDP 1200
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

So I should just ignore the trigger ports on my router configuration and just open those TCP and UDP ports?

Well, I tried to ignore the trigger ports but it doesn't work if I don't have them filled in :(

the problem lies not in your port forwardng skills, but in the protocol skills, cs uses udp protocol not tcp

btw, we cant hack ur local ip address cuz ur using NAT behind ur gateway, I couldnt locate ur computer on the internet if I tried...

... not that I would...

:D

btw, check ur video modes and set it to whats right for ur specific card, hope ya fix it!;)

i have played cs 1.6 fine on 2 different cable connections, a college dorm connection, and an apartment complex t1 connection.

Back