Extreme idle power draw RTX 3090FE

bobzdar

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure what's going on, only thing I've found online is possibly due to monitor/multiple monitors, but my 3090FE is drawing 105W at idle. It should be in the 30W range. I have it plugged into a Denon AVR which goes out to my projector and a Samsung Odyssey+ plugged into it. Unplugging the headset does nothing, so I don't think it's a multi-display issue, and the Odyssey+ is only on when you put it on your head. I leave my PC running 24/7 so it's using quite a bit of extra power, plus generating a decent amount of heat. Anyone run into this?

Got a 4k monitor, desktop set to 4k? I know that was enough to cause some cards to bump up from the lowest power state. Dunno if it was fixed, or if it effects your card in particular, though.

Could try reducing effects or resolution to see if it drops down to the lowest power state.

I've got a 3090FE and it doesn't consume that much at idle last I checked.

Got a 4k monitor, desktop set to 4k? I know that was enough to cause some cards to bump up from the lowest power state. Dunno if it was fixed, or if it effects your card in particular, though.

Could try reducing effects or resolution to see if it drops down to the lowest power state.

Running 1080p 60, doesn't seem to matter what I do, stuck at 105W. Changed preferred power state to normal from prefer high performance and same. Seems like a bug, but tough to figure out what's triggering it. It could be the receiver, but not sure why that would trigger it.

Could be a driver/registry issue, I guess.

Before messing with that though, check to see if anything is using the gpu in the background. Can check taskmanager, but I wanna say there's a better tool for that...can't remember the name.

Turn off everything in your startup apps and start troubleshooting by turning them on one by one to see which one is triggering the power usage. Do you have any gaming clients that open with Windows?

Funny enough I use Battle.Net as a startup app on my laptop even though I never play games on it in order to keep the CPU in a higher than idle power state to prevent C-state coil whine (can't turn off C-states in Windows 10 2H2).

Is it a second hand card?
I got it 2nd hand but NIB back in Dec. I think this is actually a recent development, I just upgraded drivers so I'll try going back to an older version. The only reason I thought to check idle power draw was that the aio fans were running kind of high over the weekend even with the system idle, so I felt the case and it was warm. Checked the cpu and it was using 25W at idle, then checked the gpu and it was 105W. I don't think it was doing it earlier as the system was never warm to the touch unless it was working hard. I updated drivers earlier that day, just didn't put 2+2 together until now thinking about it.

I'm not sure what I did, but it's now using 12-15W at idle. I did a bunch of stuff last night but it was still at 105W when I called it quits for the night, and now it's at 15. Maybe it just needed another reboot or something.

umm my 3090 FE idles at 30-34w
with 1 x 2560x1440 144hz + 1 x 2560x1440 164hz
cant get mine to 15w how are you reading it

Under Power Management Mode in NCP have you got it on Preferred Maximum Performance? That will keep it idling around 1800hz and so draw over 100w. If so select Normal and reboot. Your card should then idle around 30w

edit: lol shows I haven't posted in here in a very long time looking at my signature.

Hm, this had me check. I'm keeping mine in the Normal power plan and connected to a 3440x1440 display I see 35-40W at idle in the 200-300MHz range.

Back