Extreme Cooling Sticky - Post Your Systems Here

Oh just for grins. My aging e6600 running at 3.8 Ghz under a custom watercooling setup almost crammed into a plexi cube. Both 8800GTs are water cooled and screamingly overclocked as well with the hoses color wrapped for warm and cool water. Digital controller on the front bay that you cant see that has watts consumed temps fan speeds the works. Nifty but buried behind my monitor ;)

100_0232.jpg

Very nice Heavy...you and cent never stop blowing my mind.

I really gotta figure out if it's possible to custom build a single stage phase system in an enclosure with the same footprint as my mATX TJ08...now THAT would be sweet. :D

THX.

Today I will exchange the refrigerant in the second stage. R23 out and R1150 in.
Hopefully I will crackle the -100°C.

what does it cost you monthly to run these setups? utilities?

Don´t know.

I only bench 4-8h every weekend.

I think 100€ per year only for the electricle power.

Been a long time since I've had this stuff under phase change, but I built this four or five years ago (DFI SLI-DR Expert, Opteron 165 cooled by 1/4HP Tecumseh running R290)...

[
enclosure.jpg

show2.jpg

show3.jpg

PICT0802.jpg

not as nice as some of the new stuff coming out of XS, but it was pretty sweet at the time.

Some Pictures of my old Bench-Box:

"Control-Center front": ( :D )
index.php

"Control-Center rear":
index.php

Complete View
index.php

Evaporator (that was a condenser)
index.php

max. reachable Temp
index.php

Power Consumption at full load
index.php

what is the red small box on the table in the right. some kind of meter??

OK so how much does a system Cost and what real world Tems can u get? PLUS how much Insulation do u need on the Mobo.? :)

Epic Necro, but here it goes!

I love what you did to the kitchen. That a viking?

1. no it is a Thermador. Originally we had a GE Monogram, but they discontinued the model that we wanted, so we went with the Thermador. All of the other appliances are GE since we get a discount because we buy a lot of them for work.

OK so how much does a system Cost and what real world Tems can u get? PLUS how much Insulation do u need on the Mobo.? :)

Pots can be really cheap to really expensive.

You can go one of two routes, If you make it yourself, it is really cheap, all you need is some copper pipes, sand paper, and a friend with a welding torch.

If you decide to buy a pot (like mine), they usually run from about $100 (for low end pots) to $400 for custom handcrafted masterpieces. The F1 Gemini I have is produced by K|ngp|n, and sold on his webstore. F1s usually run about $200-250

Insulation is really cheap. I uses liquid electrical tape, which is about $8 and can cover about 4 boards. Then i use paper towels, shamwows, and neoprene insulation, which are pretty cheap, and usually reusable.

Temps with dry Ice are about -70, but it vaires depending on the load.

LN2 goes down to about -190, but VERY few people are actually able to run processors that low, usually temps between -120 to -190 are used, but it varies by chip, as different chips cold bug at different temps.

Wow from start to beginning very very cool setups in here, can't wait to make my own some day!

Looking at this thread reminds me of the days when I used to work in a Biology lab. We could get our hands on Dryice or liquid Nitrogen, free of charge. Wish I had the courage to actually do what you guys are doing now.
On another note, if you know chemists, physicists or biologists and they work for an University, chances are they can score you some free LN or DI (just have to go to the lab late at night).

LN2 rig:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6492/img4263j.jpg[/MG]

cheap REX NB pot:

[IMG]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2592/img4338o.jpg/IMG]

cpu and gpu benching:

[IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/613/img4532.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

pics are too small needs to be bigger brah

pics are too small needs to be bigger brah

↑ This! Holy shit man, resize your pictures. I'm on a 30" monitor and still have to scroll over half a mile. Way to show lack of proper posting manners/skills.

I guess you could call this extreme directly piping AC air into the case to kick the ass of the Aussie summer!

a6a1183160be64a2f3ce776b92afded8273898f376b1477e4g.jpg

b077fda7497adcced90e0dfe8f8369cbaf393f216f18fd824g.jpg

Just got some plastic tubing and drilled some holes in a 3.5 faceplate and stuck the pipes in there, its a good AC that dosn't make water so its rather safe.

Thinking about rigging some extra piping in the case directly between the video card and one directly above the CPU and i just plug in the AC pipes and its good to go.

High guys....just thought I'd link you to my latest project.
It's an evolution of my previous chill box build...but this time....well where do I start.

The chamber is basically like a huge actively cooled vapor chamber with the motherboard submerged in the bottom of the chamber in the working fluid which is liquified gas.

...perked your interest?

Here's a youtube link to the web cam footage from inside the chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVWAdSnYuw

So the chamber is completely sealed and made of 1.5cm alu plate as it has to withstand negative pressures of -10psi.

The evaporator of my 3.6kw air con unit is sealed inside the chamber and the chamber is filled with the gaseous refrigerant.

When you turn the ac unit on the temp drops, liquifies the vapor causing a partial vacuum which is used to draw liquified refrigerant from a pressure bottle into the chamber sump where the pc mobo becomes submerged.

So the mobo is submerged in liquified refrigerant....the refrigerants boiling point at normal temp and pressure is -1c but because the cold in the chamber is causing a pressure drop the liquid boiling point also drops.....in fact the liquid is in a state of equilibrium balanced right on the edge of a variable boiling point the value of which depends on the pressure/temperature of the chamber.......you can see this in the video...the liquid is in a constant bubbling state even with no load...like a witches cauldron. The lowest temp the chamber produces is about -30c.

The components are cooled by the liquid phase changing...this is where it's good to have the liquid on the edge of liquid/vapor equilibrium as it's always ready to boil off given a heat input.

I have to contain the liquid in a pressure cylinder between uses as the chamber was not designed to withstand expansive pressure...just compressive pressure.

So I basically reverse the filling process.....the cylinder is place in a chest freezer so causing a low pressure inside....the chamber cooling is turned off and as it warms the liquid is transferred across through a linking pipe because of the pressure differential.

You like.....I think this is a first....:eek:

Back