Extracting video from your fios DVR box?

DamTheMan

[H]ard|Gawd
I just finished building my htpc and would like to take all my recordings off my FIOS HD DVR box. I was curious if any of you know how to do such a thing? Thanks!

Current specs:

e6300 + gigabyte ds3
2gb ddr2
~1tb hdd space
pinnacle HD PCTV card (might not be the one I'm sticking with, suggestions?)
ati x800gt
onboard audio
using dvi > hdmi cable

The FIOS box I have is a Motorolla HD/DVR QIP6416-2

You can transfer recordings of local channels to your PC over firewire and CapDVHS

There are two other ways to record the other channels, but they require illegal modification of the Verizon box.

A legal way is simply buy a Tivo HD and transfer the recordings with Tivo's software

That hauppauge thing looks cool, but seems it's not readily available at the moment.

I like the HD tivo idea, especially if their software makes it possible to "backup" your videos. I was looking at a picture of the connections on the tivo series 3 hd box (link below) and am curious about your options. I was reading that the esata ports on back are going to soon be able to expand your current hdd storage capacity, is there any truth to this? Also would you just connect how does it all connect together? Would you I have a coax line to cable box, then comp cables to tivo, then hdmi to hdtv? How do you go about extracting your data? Over your home network? External drive?

I'm going to be looking up more information but figured i'd bug some of you gurus about your likes/dislikes of the tivo hd.

Thanks!

http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2006/Week_37/lmv6nx3j/story/tivo_back_640x154.jpg

The Tivo replaces your existing cable box. You see the two "CableCARD" slots on the right side of the picture you posted? You rent those cards from your cable company and they allow the Tivo to access the cable network and all the premium channels. The coax goes into the Tivo and you then connect its HDMI port to your HDTV.

2 limitations of cablecards in a tivo for would be no VOD and no impulse PPV. This should change when/if verizon gets 2way cablecards.

Back