External USB power button

liquorman

Weaksauce
Does this product exist? I have a laptop connected to an external monitor, and use a wireless keyboardand mouse. The only way to turn on the computer is to open the case and push the power button which is above the keyboard. Since this laptop is my HTPC It is a pain to have to open the laptop every time to turn it on.

Anyone have any suggestions? If there was a USB power button dongle it would be perfect, but as far as I can tell no such thing exists.

Check if your Laptop has power on by keyboard functionality, or if it supports an OEM docking station (not one of those BS USB docks) get one of those.

Check in the laptop BIOS for "wake On" events. Should be under power manangment or ACPI. Maybe it will power up from a keyboard press...

catch with power on by usb keyboard: Logitech diNuvo Bluetooth, not usb. The computer isn't on, so the bluetooth isn't on. Perhaps this is the main problem.

poweron using wake on lan, keyboard button touch, mouse movment i believe are your only options

i personally like to turn my HTPC on using WOL using magic packets from either desktop or laptop

see, the problem with a USB on/off buttion is the on part. USB is off when the computer is off, so there is no way to turn it on via usb.

Your best bet would be the WOL that others have discussed here. Here is a stupid question: can WOL be used to turn the computer off too?

Back