External sound card for MacBook/MBP

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm trying to find a good device to fit my needs, and not having much luck.

Basically, I'm looking for a USB or FireWire external sound card that I can plug some powered 2.1 speakers into. I have some Altec Lansings that I can plug into the headphone jack directly and eventually get decent sound out of, but I would love to get a more dedicated solution.

Most of the products I have found revolve around content recording and creation, which I definitely do not need, or seem extraordinarily cheap. I do want something that will put out decent sound.

I was looking at the Griffin Firewave which seems to be my best option so far.

Does anybody have any experience or input to share? Thanks :)

Whats the point of an external sound device for 2.1 speakers if you can get good sound with the built in audio out? Whats wrong with using the audio out?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the linkage :)

Well, my situation is this: I'm using some AL 2.1 speakers that also have RCA-in on the subwoofer. So I have the regular 1/8" input from the speakers connected to the MacBook headphone jack. This sounds ok if I turn on the "loud" setting on the speakers and turn the volume up quite a bit.

However, I also have output from some game consoles running into the RCA-in on the same speakers. When I switch over, I have to turn off the "loud" setting, and turn the volume way back down.

So basically I am looking for something cheap-ish so I don't have to constantly be readjusting things, but I don't want to buy something too cheap that will sound crappy.

I mostly use the MacBook for listening to music - I don't watch DVDs on it or anything, and I won't be connecting it to a home theater setup.

I went with a Digidesign Mbox2 (granted it's geared towards audio producers) but it sounds great. I have some Yamaha HS50M's hooked to it.

I've got the firewave, which I use with my Klipsch 5.1's. It does wonders. The only gripe I have with it was that the firewire cord provided with it was a POS.

Other that, it works great.

I'm using Creative Labs' Sound Blaster Live! External... works great. I have it hooked via digital out/toslink to my receiver.

Check my sig.

I'm into audio production and DJin, so depending on your price and budget, this suggestions may be a little unnecessry, but I use an M-Audio Firewere solo hooked into a pair of KRK RP-5 studio monties. The sound delicious and I'm able to use them when I DJ and house party or small venue show. KRK makes a subwoofer that hooks in line between the interface and montitors, and it's really easy (but expensive) to set up a 5.1 setup with. I would recommend getting the next M-Audio box up from mine (Firewire 410 or 1814) in the next price level if you have the budget, even though I'm really happy with my Firewire Solo so far in terms of build and sound quality.

Any other brand suggestions in the ~$400 or less range? I'm always looking for new setups.

hey a little of topic but m1dg3t...im kinda getting into the same stuff as u and im trying to pick up a M-Audio firewire 410 would u say its ok based on your Firewire solo. And how are the speakers, i need to pick up some to uses at peoples houses and such, roughly like 80 ppl so would those be loud enough?

hey a little of topic but m1dg3t...im kinda getting into the same stuff as u and im trying to pick up a M-Audio firewire 410 would u say its ok based on your Firewire solo. And how are the speakers, i need to pick up some to uses at peoples houses and such, roughly like 80 ppl so would those be loud enough?

I would avoid M-Audio equipment if you're serious about getting into production. I was looking at M-Audio monitors and the firewire as well when I was shopping for stuff, but I was told by multiple sources that M-audio products are amateurish at best. I went for the Mbox2 which came with ProTools LE, and couldn't be happier.

hrm...but the mbox 2 dosent have that many outputs..im not looking for production just to get audio from my computer to a P.A system such as Mackie SRM 450 speakers. will the mbox 2 still work for my needs?

hrm...but the mbox 2 dosent have that many outputs..im not looking for production just to get audio from my computer to a P.A system such as Mackie SRM 450 speakers. will the mbox 2 still work for my needs?

PA systems are general just stereo. When you see different speakers they are general running through crossovers and delays. If you need more outs look at MOTU or Echo, however these options won't be cheap. If you are just looking to get sound off your computer and into a PA, all you really need is a good 2 channel sound card with balanced outs.

Back