External monitor.

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I’m needing a larger display for a MBP that has a thunderbolt connector (computer has the connector).

I’d like a monitor 24-32 inches, so a wide range of sizes.

I’m looking at monitors and the price range is huge. Price doubles or triples if the monitor is thunderbolt compatible. Example the LG Fine with thunderbolt is $700 and the Samsung with DisplayPort is $300 (or less). These are BB prices.

I do not have any experience using an external monitor with any laptop, much less a thunderbolt MBP.

Is the thunderbolt compatible monitor worth the expense? Worth it meaning, it’ll be plug and play and I never have to worry about compatibility and connectivity.

In the price range I’m looking at, the Apple branded displays are a no go.

I’m needing a larger display for a MBP that has a thunderbolt connector (computer has the connector).

I’d like a monitor 24-32 inches, so a wide range of sizes.

I’m looking at monitors and the price range is huge. Price doubles or triples if the monitor is thunderbolt compatible. Example the LG Fine with thunderbolt is $700 and the Samsung with DisplayPort is $300 (or less). These are BB prices.

I do not have any experience using an external monitor with any laptop, much less a thunderbolt MBP.

Is the thunderbolt compatible monitor worth the expense? Worth it meaning, it’ll be plug and play and I never have to worry about compatibility and connectivity.

In the price range I’m looking at, the Apple branded displays are a no go.
There are a couple 27" Apple thunderbolt displays for sale locally to me for $350 each. I would just buy a used one. I find apple owners usually take good care of their things.

Reactions: Liver
like this
Where are you finding them? CL or Facebook marketplace?

I’m in a smaller community so I’d have to get it in Dallas if I’m buying used.

Where are you finding them? CL or Facebook marketplace?

I’m in a smaller community so I’d have to get it in Dallas if I’m buying used.
Marketplace.

Edit: he's actually selling two. $350 for one or $500 for both.

like this
Depending on what you want/need, it may just be more cost effective to buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock with some form of PD that has a DP1.4 output in addition to all the other connections you want.
If you don't need 'docking' capability with your monitor, you can also simply get a USB-C to DP cable - and yes, this works just fine on your TB3 or TB4 ports. USB-C is a superset of TB. This was actually how I originally connected to my current monitor (now I use an eGPU and my Radeon VII has DP ports obviously, so it's no longer necessary). Moshi makes a nice cable, but it's semi-expensive at $50.

Otherwise yeah, getting an older Cinema Display is a viable option if you don't want/need higher resolutions or faster USB connections in your "docking hub" (they're only USB 2.1). This will require a TB3 to TB2 adapter though.

like this
Some things to be aware of with the Apple Thunderbolt displays (the old ones with the thick bezels):

1) The bezels are THICK. So thick that you basically can't use multi-monitor arms designed for 27" monitors.
2) The displays are HEAVY. Most arms support up to 15lbs. These beasts are 25lbs each.
3) There's no physical adjustments. Not a huge issue in MacOS, might be a problem if you can't get Windows drivers.
4) With some machines (even Apple machines), you get zero output until the OS is loaded. Need to get into the BIOS? Sucks to be you.
5) I hope your monitor is right next to your desktop, 'cause the cable is short - If I recall correctly, it's like 3-4' long. It's too short to be used on a standing desk.

The screens themselves are great. The integrated mic and speakers are pretty good. The webcam definitely shows its age.

For the price of a used 27" 1440p Apple Thunderbolt Display, you can get a new 4k display. I can't recommend the Apple monitor right now unless you pick it up for cheap.

like this
Depending on what you want/need, it may just be more cost effective to buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock with some form of PD that has a DP1.4 output in addition to all the other connections you want.
If you don't need 'docking' capability with your monitor, you can also simply get a USB-C to DP cable - and yes, this works just fine on your TB3 or TB4 ports. USB-C is a superset of TB. This was actually how I originally connected to my current monitor (now I use an eGPU and my Radeon VII has DP ports obviously, so it's no longer necessary). Moshi makes a nice cable, but it's semi-expensive at $50.

Otherwise yeah, getting an older Cinema Display is a viable option if you don't want/need higher resolutions or faster USB connections in your "docking hub" (they're only USB 2.1). This will require a TB3 to TB2 adapter though.

Some things to be aware of with the Apple Thunderbolt displays (the old ones with the thick bezels):

1) The bezels are THICK. So thick that you basically can't use multi-monitor arms designed for 27" monitors.
2) The displays are HEAVY. Most arms support up to 15lbs. These beasts are 25lbs each.
3) There's no physical adjustments. Not a huge issue in MacOS, might be a problem if you can't get Windows drivers.
4) With some machines (even Apple machines), you get zero output until the OS is loaded. Need to get into the BIOS? Sucks to be you.
5) I hope your monitor is right next to your desktop, 'cause the cable is short - If I recall correctly, it's like 3-4' long. It's too short to be used on a standing desk.

The screens themselves are great. The integrated mic and speakers are pretty good. The webcam definitely shows its age.

For the price of a used 27" 1440p Apple Thunderbolt Display, you can get a new 4k display. I can't recommend the Apple monitor right now unless you pick it up for cheap.

I am fine getting the conversion cable. In that case what monitor would you recommend? Let’s say 4k, less than 32 inches, otherwise a solid monitor? No gaming at all.

I am fine getting the conversion cable. In that case what monitor would you recommend? Let’s say 4k, less than 32 inches, otherwise a solid monitor? No gaming at all.
Well, it's kind of like your mouse thread in that case. It's kind of whatever you'd like. It's just going to be based around your priorities. There isn't anything you 'cant' use.

like this
Well, it's kind of like your mouse thread in that case. It's kind of whatever you'd like. It's just going to be based around your priorities. There isn't anything you 'cant' use.

It’s funny. I used to assemble my gaming computer a decade ago. I used to do that every year. Now I’m asking which mouse and monitor are compatible with a MBP.

I’m really getting into Fusion 360 and I really want to learn to use it as a hobbiest. That’s why I’m asking for a monitor and mouse.

I’m looking at the LG Thunderbolt compatible monitor for $700. Seems like a solid choice, about $250-$300 more, but it seems like it’ll be perfect.

It’s funny. I used to assemble my gaming computer a decade ago. I used to do that every year. Now I’m asking which mouse and monitor are compatible with a MBP.

I’m really getting into Fusion 360 and I really want to learn to use it as a hobbiest. That’s why I’m asking for a monitor and mouse.

I’m looking at the LG Thunderbolt compatible monitor for $700. Seems like a solid choice, about $250-$300 more, but it seems like it’ll be perfect.
There shouldn’t be compatibility issues with peripherals in general. Although arguably certain things will work better than others.

The biggest neurosis I have is getting Mac specific keyboards. The one I have is “so-so”. I would probably be willing to spend $200 on a full sized keyboard that was dedicated Mac and used Cherry Browns. And obviously for $200 it better have good build quality with excellent slope and key cap shape. And no, buying a PC keyboard and reassigning the keys is not acceptable to me.

I personally use a Logitech MX Master 2 mouse, which has been fantastic and I wouldn’t hesitate to get a 3.

Monitor wise I use an LG 31mu97, which is discontinued. There is a long thread about it in the monitor section back in 2017. Basically I do photo/video work and it’s a DCI-4K display, that’s true 10-bit and shows more than 100% of AdobeRGB and can be calibrated to wide color gamuts. Short of HDR, it does everything I need. My next display will ideally be able to do 2000nitt HDR. But that may be sometime in the future (basically unless I am shooting for clients that need this, it’s not a pressing issue anyway. YouTube as an example barely has HDR content, and most devices people use daily don’t support it… sooo I’m in no rush).

If I had to buy today I’d probably be looking at professional displays from LG or Benq. However those are just my needs. Color accuracy matters a lot for what I do as well as gamut. So I pay for that. Most regular people would be satisfied with a $300 monitor from Dell.

Last edited:
like this
do you NEED it to have thunderbolt or are you assuming that? you can literally pick whatever monitor suits you and an adapter to match, hook it up.

like this
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, so I bought the LG UltraFine from the online Apple store. My local BB was out of stock. I went with the LG because it had great reviews and I may need to “hand this down” to my wife. So the single cable solution was very appealing to me, for the eventuality.

The monitor is amazing. I am sure most any monitor would have been fine as well.

One issue though. I would like everything to go to sleep when I close the laptop screen. Yes, I understand that it opposite of what most people want, but I would like the monitor to go to sleep when I close the laptop. Of course, once I know how to do that I can also change it back.

Anyone know?

I have the Thunderbolt (USB-C) LG 27" 5K display hooked to my 5k 27" iMac and absolutely love it. The glossy screens on both displays seem to really match, and the brightness is awesome.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Back