External hard drive

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Need an external hard drive for photo editing. I want something fast.

Computer is going to be a MBP current year (M1/M2) or older (Intel) or an M2 Mini (when it comes out).

Should I get an SSD and put it in an external enclosure? Should I get an M2, and enclosure?

I don't know what the sweet spot is in data transfer. I'd like to get the balance right.

Depending on the price, Im looking at 2-4 Tb drive. This drive will be more of a work drive. The bulk will be on a platter server and copied to this drive to work.

Doesn't matter if its powered from the computer or an outlet.

Last edited:
I think either way is fine.
The advantage of buying a drive that's "prebuilt" is that they can potentially be smaller than a full sized NVME drive.
The advantage of building it yourself is that you can customize it or upgrade it in the future. AND it's cheaper to build a TB setup. If you're not going to being going with TB, then I'd basically for sure get a prebuilt.

Personally I think the "prebuilt" option is better as portability while editing on a laptop and every gram matters to me. To others, that's not a big deal.
Prebuilt Drive: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-External-Aluminum-SB-2TB-NANO/dp/B07ZWLYX5W/ref=sr_1_11?crid=366A4QD3FDBF5&keywords=sabrent+nvme+2tb&qid=1665371791&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjM1IiwicXNhIjoiMS45NyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMjUifQ==&sprefix=sabrent+nvme+2tb,aps,501&sr=8-11&th=1
This option does also exist, but who knows when it will be back in stock?
Thunderbolt: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQKRVLZ/ref=twister_B09B4QJ71F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise I would probably still buy from Sabrent:
Drive: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-2TB/dp/B07MTQTNVR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=366A4QD3FDBF5&keywords=sabrent+nvme+2tb&qid=1665371865&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjM1IiwicXNhIjoiMS45NyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMjUifQ==&sprefix=sabrent+nvme+2tb,aps,501&sr=8-3
Enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Certified-Tool-Free-Enclosure-EC-T3NS/dp/B08FT59SB6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3BVISTIS64JHI&keywords=sabrent+nvme+thunderbolt&qid=1665371902&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjkyIiwicXNhIjoiMS41OSIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=sabrent+nvme+thunderbolt,aps,466&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWjE0MlRCQVExSEZZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDQxMTcxMzlKWjdEQU5TMUsxWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODc1ODAxMzFUWjY2S0UyNjVMNSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Liver
like this
What about the Sandisk Extreme Pro? It’s in stock. I don’t know how to link it.

Last edited:
What about the Sandisk Extreme Pro? It’s in stock. I don’t know how to link it.
Perfectly reasonable option. Basically I'd just look for TLC or better and have at minimum USB 3.2 and ensure you have access to at least 10Gpbs access speeds.
Doing a modicum of research to see things like transfer speeds, how well it does with small reads/writes, and what it takes to cap its DRAM are good ideas.

like this
Perfectly reasonable option. Basically I'd just look for TLC or better and have at minimum USB 3.2 and ensure you have access to at least 10Gpbs access speeds.
Doing a modicum of research to see things like transfer speeds, how well it does with small reads/writes, and what it takes to cap its DRAM are good ideas.

Great info. Need to look at the specs.

It was a lightning deat today at $220, so I bought it.

It was a lightning deat today at $220, so I bought it.
I'm sure it will be just fine. For most any SSD is fast enough honestly. It's mostly just about how inefficient Lightroom catalogs are.

Last edited:
like this
A related question. How noticeable is the speed decrease from an internal drive to an external drive?

Basically, buy a larger external drive to save money over getting it pre built in. This would be for a completely new computer.

A related question. How noticeable is the speed decrease from an internal drive to an external drive?

Basically, buy a larger external drive to save money over getting it pre built in. This would be for a completely new computer.
depends on the drive and what youre pluggin it in to. a 10gb usbc 3.2 port and a usbc/nvme combo is going to be very close to internal speeds. shit, my usb stick is ssd speeds in a usb 3.1 port.

Reactions: Axman
like this
depends on the drive and what youre pluggin it in to. a 10gb usbc 3.2 port and a usbc/nvme combo is going to be very close to internal speeds. shit, my usb stick is ssd speeds in a usb 3.1 port.

Thanks. I’m deciding between a Mac Studio, relatively minimal configuration vs a maxed out Mini.

Thanks. I’m deciding between a Mac Studio, relatively minimal configuration vs a maxed out Mini.
no prob. m1 or m2? if m2, make sure you double up the ram and ssd so you dont have the speeds cut in half...

no prob. m1 or m2? if m2, make sure you double up the ram and ssd so you dont have the speeds cut in half...

I’ve waiting this long, so I’d like to get the M2. Can you explain what you mean by doubling the ram and SSD? Example, what minimum should I configure to avoid cutting the speed?

I plan on getting the minimum M2 (not the Ultra or Max or whatever HD buzzword they will use).

I’ve waiting this long, so I’d like to get the M2. Can you explain what you mean by doubling the ram and SSD? Example, what minimum should I configure to avoid cutting the speed?

I plan on getting the minimum M2 (not the Ultra or Max or whatever HD buzzword they will use).
m1 has 2x4 for ram and 2x128 for the ssd chips, basically dual channel and raid0.
the m2s were cut to 1x8 and 1x256, crippling them. i would double check online a bit to confirm but they cut the laptop chips in half so im assuming the other models are too. there are a bunch of posts about it in the "M2 looks like a beast" thread and others
id bump to 16gb(has 2x8) and 512gb(has 2x256)

like this
m1 has 2x4 for ram and 2x128 for the ssd chips, basically dual channel and raid0.
the m2s were cut to 1x8 and 1x256, crippling them. i would double check online a bit to confirm but they cut the laptop chips in half so im assuming the other models are too. there are a bunch of posts about it in the "M2 looks like a beast" thread and others
id bump to 16gb(has 2x8) and 512gb(has 2x256)

If the m2 were cut to singles, then should I just go ahead with getting the m1 that has dual? I know that’s a “me” question but what would you do?

I can wait and I could use the computer now. I still have a computer that I am using. I’m going from a laptop to desktop (studio or mini) and an iPad.

I just don’t want to buy something that came out 2 years ago (mini). Or is ready to be replaced like the studio (potentially).

+1 depends on the kind of USB slot you use. Different drive controllers might have some overheads, too, but mostly nothing you'd notice outside of benchmarking I'd expect.

If the m2 were cut to singles, then should I just go ahead with getting the m1 that has dual? I know that’s a “me” question but what would you do?

I can wait and I could use the computer now. I still have a computer that I am using. I’m going from a laptop to desktop (studio or mini) and an iPad.

I just don’t want to buy something that came out 2 years ago (mini). Or is ready to be replaced like the studio (potentially).
if i were trying to save money id get the m1 based model that isnt neutered. i honestly dont know anything about the studio ones...

like this
If going base model (i.e lowest configuration) I’d get the M1. There should be quite a few deals on this model.

Any particular place to buy? I usually go directly through Apple. Occasionally I use Best Buy because of the points.

if i were trying to save money id get the m1 based model that isnt neutered. i honestly dont know anything about the studio ones...

Are all the M1 models not neutered? How can I tell?

Any particular place to buy? I usually go directly through Apple. Occasionally I use Best Buy because of the points.

Are all the M1 models not neutered? How can I tell?
afaik they are fine, the cost cutting only came in with the m2

like this
I think I’ll get the Mac Studio with the M1 chip and 64 GB of system memory and the 2 Tb drive. I was going to go with the 1 Tb drive, but its $360 more, and for me to get an external 1 Tb drive is around $250 (so basically $100 more for a second Tb internally).

Back