External Drive Sleep Questions

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
If I get an External Western Digital Passport Ultra USB3 drive, I am wondering about certain scenarios.

If the USB 3 drive is hooked to a surface dock, which is hooked to a Windows 10 Surface, will the drive go into sleep mode when not in use (that would be what I want). Or rather - will Windows add an entry into Adv Power Management for that hard drive, and a sleep timer there?

Reason I ask, is because I'd like to try and avoid loading the WD drive software. There is a feature in there that you can control the sleep mode time. See below for a section of the manual.

Setting the Drive Sleep Timer
The drive sleep timer turns off the power to your drive after a certain period of inactivity
to conserve power and minimize long-term wear on the drive.
1. Open the WD Drive Utilities software by clicking either:
􀂄 The WD Drive Utilities desktop shortcut icon
􀂄 Start > All Programs > Western Digital > WD Apps > WD Drive Utilities
See Figure 6 on page 10.
2. If you have more than one supported device connected to your computer, select the
one that you want to set.
3. Click Sleep Timer to display the Sleep Timer dialog:
4. On the Sleep Timer dialog:
a. Verify or click the Sleep Timer on/off toggle button to the ON position.
b. In the Select Time box, select the inactivity period for turning off the drive.

Also, if this drive where attached to a router to act as NAS, would it sleep there too? And what mechanism would allow it to do that?

It is programmed into the Usb board. It will always sleep unless you give it the apm command not to. You can use wd software or other software but it must be set at each boot.

Why not just let it sleep? If it received any command it will wake

It is programmed into the Usb board. It will always sleep unless you give it the apm command not to. You can use wd software or other software but it must be set at each boot.

Why not just let it sleep? If it received any command it will wake

Yes, that was my preference, letting it sleep.

Back