External drive fell on the floor, and now beeps once and isnt recognized...dead?

Heads could be stuck. Tap it with a screwdriver while it's powered up and see if they break loose. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Worth trying this before freezing it. I've had some luck with just a quick rotation to get a stuck spindle going too. Obviously, if you get it to spin up, pull the data asap, cause it's probably not going to work for long or spin up a second time.

it sounds like the head is crashed. you could try the old freezer trick. put it in a anti-static bag and freeze it over night. hook it up and see if it will work and then quickly start grabbing data if it does.
Just to add to this, I can share my variation of this.

OP, treat it as a destructive method.
In my case, this works for 30 minutes, maybe a bit longer, but the drive deteriorates as you're doing it. After a while it might become unresponsive permanently.

What I do is I chill the drive to close to 0 deg. C, maybe even freeze. After that, I take one of those cooler inserts (plastic container with chilled liquid) and place it on top of the hard drive (or, both top and bottom).
You can try placing a big wad of tissue paper underneath the electronics, so that the controller board doesn't just sit in a puddle of water. A thermometer is useful.

Windows might not be the best choice for recovery. I personally used Linux, because in my experience it's more forgiving to a drive popping in and out of existence.
I like to have `dmesg -w` open in a console window to be able to see in real-time when it disappears and reappears.
Imaging the drive in this state might produce a corrupted image.

In my case, it was actually slightly above 0 deg. C that was optimal - IIRC around 2-4 degrees.

Back