External antena for Proxim wireless access point

Disarray

[H]ard|Gawd
When I read the directions for this AP 700 Proxim wireless access point, there are lots of warnings about professional installation only. Can you tell me why and if I should not mess with it myself?

If you're too near power lines it can do bad things to you, electrical-safety-wise. Other than that, there might be interference issues with the antenna that they're trying to avoid.

If it's mounted outside you have what Hoppy mentioned, as well as Lightning arresting, proper grounding, drip loops, weather sealing of connections, proper routing of wires, Not drilling through the wall and hitting an electrical wire, ETC. Having lightening hit it and light your house on fire, having water in your wall, or electrocution while you drill through the wall are probably things you want to avoid..

I have years of experience with electrical installations. I was just worried that I might be missing something RF wise. I would hate to set this thing up and give someone butt cancer because I had the gain set to high.

Thanks for the advice.

Back