external access point? cisco only please

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
We currently have a large deployment of 1131AG LWAP's and are moving to 1142N's here in about 6-8 months. I have been tasked with a project that will require very good signal to our parking lots at each of our sites.

I am looking at the 1142's and they dont look like a good solution for external signal, so I thought perhaps to bump up the model to a 3500. I haven't played with the 3500's at all and don't know too much about their external antenna offerings.
Can we place the 3500 base unit indoors then run an external directional or omni through a wall penetration to the outside?
Is there a better cisco LWAP model I might consider?
(needs to be newer model that will support at least g/n standards.)

Which wireless controller do you have? AFAIK any outdoor rated LWAP you choose, compatible with your controller, that suports the wireless technologies you're after (G/N) should work just fine. I've never used the external antenas in any of my deployments, so I can't comment on them, but I would think it would be easier to put an outdor AP outside, than put antennas outside and atach them to an AP in the building.

Also, one quick questions, which AP controller are you using? don't mean to thread jack, but I've worked mostly qith the 2100 series controllers in the past, and they now have the 2500 series, only differenc I've noticed on the spec sheet is they've moved to gigabit ethernet, and the bundles generally come with fewer licenses or the same price point.

Back