External 8TB HDD, 7200 RPM / USB only

Steve_M

n00b
Is there any 8TB External HDD with 7200 rpm, but without any power supply ?
Only USB - to PC / laptop....
Thank you, I couldn't find any

Although usb-c should easily have enough power for such a device most manufacturers assume you have an older computer.

Okay, now the question is : should I buy 2 x 4TB or 1 x 8 TB ?
Some users says, the ones with 5, 6 8 , 10 TB are very very very sensitive
Is that true ?

I rather have one large drive and then when funds are available setup a second copy for cold storage

i asked about this recently:

https://hardforum.com/threads/are-t...ype-c-front-panel-connector-standard.1996076/

and the consensus seemed to be that the new type C standard connectors do not imply any improved power delivery specification - such that an external drive vendor would be able to say; "right, now i have a minimum of 12.5w to play with, where before i could assume no more than 5w..."

Right. The higher optional power specs are mainly for charging, not peripherals. Though a peripheral could be designed to use either USB if sufficient power available or its own power supply if not. But that would cause confusion. "Why does this drive work when I plug it into X but not when I plug it into Y?"

Right. The higher optional power specs are mainly for charging, not peripherals. Though a peripheral could be designed to use either USB if sufficient power available or its own power supply if not. But that would cause confusion. "Why does this drive work when I plug it into X but not when I plug it into Y?"

It's funny how the "Universal" Serial Bus has collected so many confusing or sometimes conflicting asterisks over the years.

I remember in the early days we used to joke that it was "useless serial bus".

At least that part has been fixed.

Reactions: Nside
like this
back in the day, some portable hard drives came with a cable with 2 USB connectors, one was used for additional power if the PC couldn't power the drive with 1 USB connection.

I think 5TB is the largest 2.5" spinning drive you can get right now.

Back