Extension for Cat 5?

MentallyNormal

[H]ard|Gawd
Yeah is there an adaptor to extend cat 5 cable?

For instance I have a Playstation 2,I have a cat 5 cable connected to my router,which runs threw my crawl space,down a hole in my room,then to the network adaptor. That has been working fine,but recently I rearranged my room and now the cable won't reach. It needs say 5 feet more too reach it.

Is there some sort of extension device kind of like the ones used to extended phone lines for this? Does frys sell this thing? Something cheap since I don't need it to go any farther than 5 to 10 feet.

Thanks for any help and Have a Nice day guys an gals.

You really should re-run the cable. There are Cat5e couplers but those are not truly up to spec. It's not recommended to use couplers. It's up to you in the end.

Yes you can get a cat5 coupler anywhere that sells cat5 usually. They really are nasty to the signal, but its just a playstation so I wont be the usual cable nazi I am and say you shouldnt :D

To avoid the coupler alltogether you could put a jack on the end of the existing cable and then use a regular network cable after that.

The retail Leviton jack's come with a plastic tool so you don't even need to buy a punchdown tool. The jacks are about $5 if I remeber correctly.

Just a suggestion. Although for a PS2 I would use a coupler too.

Originally posted by valve1138

The retail Leviton jack's come with a plastic tool so you don't even need to buy a punchdown tool. The jacks are about $5 if I remeber correctly.

or buy two of those, and make your own coupler.

you could even drop 15 bucks on a small hub or switch and not only will it allow you to add more cable, it will regenerate the signal for you..not to mention expanding the number of ports in that room, should you ever feel like putting another node in there for some reason

Back