extending video signal from pc over network

antok86

[H]F Junkie
can anyone recommend a Ip bases solution to send video signal over a network. i dont have any dedicated runs for a regular kvm. so i think i would need one thats ip based.
thanks

You want just video extended, or video/keyboard/mouse ?

I have some VGA over Cat5 extenders for just video, otherwise maybe a Teradici host card and puck to extend kb/.m/v over the current IP network (machine has to have DVI video out and an available PCIe x8 slot)

never thought about that..going to used to extended a monitor off a pc running blueiris. thought steam link just extendeds steam apps??
Ive never used one, but apparently you can minimize steam and stream your desktop

just video should be fine but kb/mouse would be a plus. it will be used as a secondary viewing display. i just dont have access to a dedicated line that would not be on the switcha nd be a straight connection. i would still be running a wireless bridge to the said monitor

hmm maybe try to pick up a thin client or other low power PC off of ebay and just run VNC or RDP (or SSH and I think you can run remote X sessions if configured right if you have a Linux box) to get the remote view and control of the PC. Might be cheaper than buying a new specialty IP KVM type of product.

never thought about that..going to used to extended a monitor off a pc running blueiris. thought steam link just extendeds steam apps??
I use Blue Iris for my security cams as well. I use chrome cast and the Cast Desktop option to cast the screen over to a monitor I have in our main living area.

I use Blue Iris for my security cams as well. I use chrome cast and the Cast Desktop option to cast the screen over to a monitor I have in our main living area.
hmm maybe try to pick up a thin client or other low power PC off of ebay and just run VNC or RDP (or SSH and I think you can run remote X sessions if configured right if you have a Linux box) to get the remote view and control of the PC. Might be cheaper than buying a new specialty IP KVM type of product.
thanks for the ideas...i might have to try them both and see what works best.

Back