Extending HTC Vive distance

gsilver

Gawd
I need to extend the distance between my HTC Vive and my computer. I want to make a solution that extends the distance from the computer to the breakout box.
I have some good quality USB and HDMI cables already, but what kind of power cable do I need?
Looking to add about 5 ft distance

I finally got it (damn shipping from China)
Nope. It doesn't fit.

I can fit the male end to either side of the box, but it doesn't fit onto the cord of the AC adapter.

I finally got it (damn shipping from China)
Nope. It doesn't fit.

I can fit the male end to either side of the box, but it doesn't fit onto the cord of the AC adapter.

Did you buy the one I linked? It should work if the description is accurate..

"Male: 1.35mm (inner dia.) x 3.5mm (outer dia.) plug, Female: Accepts 1.35mm x 3.5mm plug"

The cable should be able to plug into itself, and if it does, the male end should fit into the link box and the female end should receive the plug from the existing adapter.

Did you try the correct power adapter? Vive has 3 adapters (2 lighthouse and 1 link box). The lighthouse adapters have a larger plug for some dumb reason.

Why not just use a regular old extension cord for the power?
Because I'd prefer not having a big wall wart in what could be a smooth cable run?

Did you buy the one I linked? It should work if the description is accurate..

"Male: 1.35mm (inner dia.) x 3.5mm (outer dia.) plug, Female: Accepts 1.35mm x 3.5mm plug"

The cable should be able to plug into itself, and if it does, the male end should fit into the link box and the female end should receive the plug from the existing adapter.

Did you try the correct power adapter? Vive has 3 adapters (2 lighthouse and 1 link box). The lighthouse adapters have a larger plug for some dumb reason.
Yeah. I bought that exact cable (and a longer one of a different brand while I was waiting for that one)
Both have the exact same issue.
The cables plug into themselves, so that's not the problem. It's just barely too small to fit onto the ac adapter (but close enough to fit into the box)

Because I'd prefer not having a big wall wart in what could be a smooth cable run?

Yeah. I bought that exact cable (and a longer one of a different brand while I was waiting for that one)
Both have the exact same issue.
The cables plug into themselves, so that's not the problem. It's just barely too small to fit onto the ac adapter (but close enough to fit into the box)

Whoops. I replaced my link box power adapter with a PCI card that provides a DC power plug. The one that came with it wasn't the right size so I googled what adapter I'd need and found a post on reddit saying it's 1.35mm x 3.5mm. I bought an adapter to that size (which worked) so I assumed that info was correct.

Looking again, it seems that it's actually 1.3 mm x 3.5mm, so the inner part of the female end of the cable you bought is 0.05mm too thick. If you're brave you could try forcing it, otherwise you will probably have to buy a new cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FT9VW0O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_WTxdxbG2WKX4D

(a reddit post says that works for extending the link box power adapter, but you would want to independently confirm...)

Sorry for making you waste money.

Another thing you could do instead of buying yet another cable is buy a new power adapter like this (pretty sure it will work but I can't be trusted), then you can make use of both cables you've already purchased.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Whoops. I replaced my link box power adapter with a PCI card that provides a DC power plug. The one that came with it wasn't the right size so I googled what adapter I'd need and found a post on reddit saying it's 1.35mm x 3.5mm. I bought an adapter to that size (which worked) so I assumed that info was correct.

Looking again, it seems that it's actually 1.3 mm x 3.5mm, so the inner part of the female end of the cable you bought is 0.05mm too thick. If you're brave you could try forcing it, otherwise you will probably have to buy a new cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FT9VW0O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_WTxdxbG2WKX4D

(a reddit post says that works for extending the link box power adapter, but you would want to independently confirm...)
That's actually the exact cable that I bought last year to extend the range from the link box to the headset.
It works great after the link box, but not before.
Well, "great" is relative. I was getting a number of issues with the headset not being detected, and those went away when I extended the cables before the link box instead of after.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's actually the exact cable that I bought last year to extend the range from the link box to the headset.
It works great after the link box, but not before.
Well, "great" is relative. I was getting a number of issues with the headset not being detected, and those went away when I extended the cables before the link box instead of after.

So that cable didn't work at all when you used it before the link box? If that doesn't work then I dunno what you should do

In times like this, I wish that Radio Shack was still around.
But it's only a few bucks, so I'll try that AC adapter. Easier than a bunch of internet searches telling me the same specific size and then not working.
Seems like the link box is a lot more lenient than the AC adapter.

Ok. I got the AC adapter. Works fine with the cable and the link box.

So, the stock AC adapter is something close to but not quite 1.35 x 3.5, and won't work with those cables, but they are close enough for the link box in conjunction with a generic AC adapter.

Back