Extended Desktop Issues (Nvidia/Pioneer)

Vittra

Gawd
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1693839

Above was my original post in the Nvidia section of video cards, I've gone a few months just "dealing" with it but it's beginning to annoy me once again. Initially I was using a GTX 680 but I'm now on a GTX 690 with the same issues, albeit newer drivers of course.

I'll re-quote it below.

Hey all. I've noticed a few oddities upon switching back to the nVidia camp that occur both on my GTX 580 and a GTX 680 that I had for about a month, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light in regards to what is going on.

My secondary display, a TV, is connected via HDMI on my card through my receiver, a Pioneer Elite SC-05. This is on Windows 7 x64. The problem persists on both the 296.10 and current 301.24 nVidia drivers that I've been using. These are the issues I am experiencing:

1) Enabling an extended display through the regular windows display settings does nothing, and leaves my TV with a black screen. Using the nVidia control panel I can get it to work, but I must apply the settings 2 - 3 times for anything to properly display on the TV. Audio does work immediately, and the TV is not actively "seeking" a signal, so it does believe something is being displayed despite it being black.

2) Settings are not saved. If I disable the extended desktop to run in single display mode on my monitor, and attempt to re-enable extended at any point afterward, I must move again move it's position and reapply the setting 2-3 times for anything to display.

As an extension of this, if I restart the computer with the receiver and TV on and my computer in extended display mode, it reverts to the default setting which is choosing my TV as the main display and monitor as the "extended" portion, but once again the TV displays nothing until I am able to re-apply the correct settings in the nVidia control panel. In this situation, this becomes a bit of an annoyance as Monitor ends up as the extended portion and it's attempting to display the nVidia control panel on my TV which has no signal .

On my 6950 I experienced none of these issues, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Has anyone dealt with this in the past and have any idea what's going on?

Anyone happen to have any suggestions on how to correct this? It seems that my receiver may be conflicting with the Nvidia drivers but I'm stumped on how to correct it.

Sound like an HDCP handshake issue over the HDMI. Most likely, it's the receiver having an issue passing it through to the other devices. Have you tried temporarily eliminating the receiver and going straight to the TV with an HDMI cable?

Have you tried temporarily eliminating the receiver and going straight to the TV with an HDMI cable?

This would be my first recommendation. HDMI handshake issues can cause funky problems, and eliminating things in the middle, at least for troubleshooting purposes, would be a good first step.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion. I just hooked up the video card directly to the TV bypassing the receiver and both issues 1) and 2) seem resolved, although when disabling extended desktop as per 2) and then re-enabling, I do have to reposition.. I only have to apply the settings once though and it works correctly. I did notice my computer was still defaulting to the TV when booting up until entering windows though.

At any rate, this appears to be a handshake issue as you've suggested. Is there something on the receiver itself in terms of options that I should look for alleviate this?

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion. I just hooked up the video card directly to the TV bypassing the receiver and both issues 1) and 2) seem resolved, although when disabling extended desktop as per 2) and then re-enabling, I do have to reposition..

Try setting your TV's video aspect ratio to "Just Scan" instead of 16:9 or 16:10 or whatever. I think that should clear up the repositioning thing.

EDIT: You mean you have to reposition your windows or you have to reposition your computer display on your TV?

At any rate, this appears to be a handshake issue as you've suggested. Is there something on the receiver itself in terms of options that I should look for alleviate this?

There was someone floating around here that had a program in a dropbox that did something to correct issues like this. I believe it was called HDMIyo, may have just been a script, I have no idea. It was used for something else (black screen when coming out of sleep) but it may be similar for this. Not sure. Unfortunately, I don't remember who had it...

Try setting your TV's video aspect ratio to "Just Scan" instead of 16:9 or 16:10 or whatever. I think that should clear up the repositioning thing.

EDIT: You mean you have to reposition your windows or you have to reposition your computer display on your TV?

Reposition my TV to be extended to the left of my Monitor, rather than the default which appears to be to the right.

There was someone floating around here that had a program in a dropbox that did something to correct issues like this. I believe it was called HDMIyo, may have just been a script, I have no idea. It was used for something else (black screen when coming out of sleep) but it may be similar for this. Not sure. Unfortunately, I don't remember who had it...

Quick google search is getting some hits on HDMIyo, I'll look into this and see if it helps.. thanks!

EDIT: No luck with HDMIyo, unfortunately. The TV remains as a black screen. I did notice when uninstalling the program however, that when UAC turns your main screen black for a brief moment (takes a screenshot and refreshes) to load the UAC prompt to give privileges... it actually refreshes my TV as well and it displays again. Hah!

Last edited:
Back