extend wireless range

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
how can I extend my wireless range?

I need to connect to a wireless network about 40 feet away. I only have the wireless router and a laptop. I can connect to it but its not stable.

You can setup a wireless repeater in between to pass the signal along. Or you could try an extended range antenna on either end, though that might be nothing more than snake oil. If you don't mind playing with custom firmware, you might be able to find one which will boost your AP's power output also.

buy another router and get DD-WRT or Tomato.. and use it as a AP/Repeater. That's if you want to go the wireless route. Make sure you use one that's compatible though. Or you could just get a dedicated repeater, but I myself prefer a 2nd router.

If there is a wired connection near by setup another AP with the same settings as the first SSID but put it on another channel.

If there is a wired connection near by setup another AP with the same settings as the first SSID but put it on another channel.

You can do a wireless bridge repeater with roaming on DD-WRT. It starts getting complex, but it's possible.

You can do a wireless bridge repeater with roaming on DD-WRT. It starts getting complex, but it's possible.

Im interested do go on.

I thought it was use WDS and loose bandwidth?

You need to look up how to set it up on the DD-WRT wiki, but you basically make the router a wireless client, disable all firewall/DHCP/DNS, and then create a Virtual Interface that broadcasts a second SSID (can be same security/SSID/different channel to do AP roaming) that is just an AP of the client-bridge.

It's identical to your double-AP with Ethernet link in-between, except with a wireless link.

Back