Exteme overclocks: X1800XT

why is it that everyone benchmakrs 3dmark05? can we get some benchmarks on the current graphic card owning game? F.E.A.R. or BF2?
or how about Chronicles of Riddick at max quality setting? OR EQ2 at the highest quality possible? jeez, crazy euros can't stick to whats important.

What person who overclcoks his cpu and card that high will be interested in simple games? This is 3Dmarks05 only real use and it's being used superbly ;)

He's overclocked R480 cores higher than that, I wonder what went wrong? Maybe it's because it's a new product and he hasn't had time to find out all the overclocking tricks associated with it yet?

I'd love to see what he could do with a couple of those cards in Xfire mode though. :D

One card beating 2 GTXs? That's pretty powerful.

Too bad the temperatures on non overclocked XLs are already sky high. I can't imagine the temperatures on that thing.

Shameless Liar said:
Too bad the temperatures on non overclocked XLs are already sky high. I can't imagine the temperatures on that thing.

Using dry ice should give you an indicator to the kind fo heat generated

I'm interested in if he was able to adjust VGPU and VMEM via bios or was he doing the regular resistor modding to adjust regulating IC's.

with DI he should have beena ble to voltmod the bitch up to 950mhz

Once I saw the XT's 3dmark05 scores compared to the 7800gtx in all those reviews I decided 3dmark is definitely useless.

Oh man... the title of that article just gives me laughs.

Should be reworded: "Single X1800 XT overclocked insanely can beat SLI at stock in 3dmark05"

Intel_Hydralisk said:
Should be reworded: "Single X1800 XT overclocked insanely can beat SLI at stock in 3dmark05"

Well to be fair it's a £470 card beating 2x £360 (roughly) cards (not including the SLi required motherboard)

tornadotsunamilife said:
Well to be fair it's a £470 card beating 2x £360 (roughly) cards (not including the SLi required motherboard)
And also to be fair... how much was that cooling system?

Finish overclocker Maki managed to overclock the card to 12278 in 3Dmark05. He overclocked the card from a default 625MHz core/1500MHz memory to a magnificent 877.5MHz core and 1980MHz memory. He used dry ice and he cooled the FX 57 to 3617.5 MHz to reach this score.
Yea... Ok.

If you play 3dmark all day, go ahead and call it "beat".

Intel_Hydralisk said:
And also to be fair... how much was that cooling system?

Yea... Ok.

If you play 3dmark all day, go ahead and call it "beat".
And also to be fair remember that dual X1800XT setups will be available in 1-2 months.

If you can get dry ice constantly cooling your video card, more power to you. If not, this is just an insane waste because it's fun.

Because all of the modifications Macci did didn't cost anything, and dry ice is cheap, plentiful, stable and consistent...

Wonder what 2x7800GTXs would score if you overclocked them with dry ice? And if they were both cherry-picked engineering samples.

Or at least, I'm assuming that Macci's X1800XT was either an engineering sample or very probably cherry-picked by ATI. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the retail availability was still a month out...so did they ship Macci one, or did he go to an event, or what? Either way, I have my doubts as to whether I'd be able to get anywhere near this overclock with an X1800XT off the shelf of Best Buy or wherever, even if I did have the resources to OC with dry ice.

Phranq said:
If you can get dry ice constantly cooling your video card, more power to you. If not, this is just an insane waste because it's fun.

I don't think they constantly cool it... I think they just do it for competition reasons. It's kinda like taking steroids before an event... you can't do it all the time, but every now and then, it'll give you an edge.

Fuad Abazovic Retarded comment #27364492.....

Fud said:
When you test the card (X1800XT) side by side with a 7800 GTX you kind of get almost the same performance but only when you overclock.

I think Fuad is a bigtime solvent abuser. :p

finalgt said:
Or at least, I'm assuming that Macci's X1800XT was either an engineering sample or very probably cherry-picked by ATI. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the retail availability was still a month out...so did they ship Macci one, or did he go to an event, or what?

He was at the Ibiza event. Yeah they could be engineer samples but who knows if there is that much fo a difference between 'cherry-picked' ones and normal out of the box ones, I'll guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.. :cool:

Reminds me of the Intel / AMD clock wars.

Nvidia is akin to AMD, does alot of work with a lower clock
speed where Intel {ATI} needs a faster clock to do the same
amount of work.

Ie, a GTX @ 450Mhz is on average equal to a 625Mhz X1800XT.

:p

thylantyr said:
Reminds me of the Intel / AMD clock wars.

Nvidia is akin to AMD, does alot of work with a lower clock
speed where Intel {ATI} needs a faster clock to do the same
amount of work.

Ie, a GTX @ 450Mhz is on average equal to a 625Mhz X1800XT.

:p

If that's the cause then I feel we may see a change next-gen ;)

tornadotsunamilife said:
If that's the cause then I feel we may see a change next-gen ;)

90nm Geforce will be nice, higher clock and ideally improved
design -- as always -- evolution.

What bothers me is the next gen games struggling with 1600x1200,
EQ2/Fear can't play well with high rez enabled? Are programmers
just getting more lazy or what? At least Carmack make efforts to
optimize his games for performance, who else is doing this?

:(

tornadotsunamilife said:
He was at the Ibiza event. Yeah they could be engineer samples but who knows if there is that much fo a difference between 'cherry-picked' ones and normal out of the box ones, I'll guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.. :cool:
Let's think about this one. They host an event, and send an invitation to a guy who is famous entirely because of his ability to overclock stuff, as far as I know. They even welcome the guy to try crazy shit like dry ice. What, do you suppose, are the odds that they picked his video card right off of the production line?

finalgt said:
Let's think about this one. They host an event, and send an invitation to a guy who is famous entirely because of his ability to overclock stuff, as far as I know. They even welcome the guy to try crazy shit like dry ice. What, do you suppose, are the odds that they picked his video card right off of the production line?

I'm not saying it wasn't 'cherry-picked' I'm just suggesting there may be little difference from a card picked specifically by ati engineers (unless your suggesting they changed parts of it to improve it's overclocking-I wouldn't believe that unless it was written down by the engineer that actually did it ;)) and an ordinary one waiting to be shipped somewhere for retail.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I do apologise if this has already been posted but I was extremely impressed by Macci's overclock with the X1800XT (sure he uses dry ice and a high overclocked FX 57 :D).

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26818

Just linking the inq because they've got a good picture of the results ;)

I've seen some single GTX hitting 12k too and it was on air with volt mods, and tones of big fans blowing on it.

If the x1800 XT can reach 10k or higher on just stock cooling + better thermal compound then that's a better story, cause not every 1 has the money to buy a super extrem 1337 cooling setup.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I'm not saying it wasn't 'cherry-picked' I'm just suggesting there may be little difference from a card picked specifically by ati engineers (unless your suggesting they changed parts of it to improve it's overclocking-I wouldn't believe that unless it was written down by the engineer that actually did it ;)) and an ordinary one waiting to be shipped somewhere for retail.
Haha yeah, I thought about that after I posted, and I couldn't be bothered going back and editing it. But still, the fact that there's gotta be at least SOME difference between retail and Macci's card - in addition to the fact that it's going to be another 5 weeks before we can see what that difference is - makes me wonder why this is "news."

why is it that everyone benchmakrs 3dmark05? can we get some benchmarks on the current graphic card owning game? F.E.A.R. or BF2?

Im guessing it would be too hard to regulate the dry ice and play at the same time, hence why these overclocks are useless.

yeah.. common sense, these cards will probably OC well.

3200+ venices for example.. some good OCs on the best chips with the best cooling will reach 3ghz+ .. but you can almost be guaranteed any you buy will reach 2.5ghz on air.

that's what this is showing. You wont get GTX SLI speeds on a single card unless you get lucky AND have amazing cooling.. but chances are most of the cards will overclock nicely.

this is interesting to say the least. With such a clock-speed centric way of doing things, this is almost as good as 'unlocking pipes' on last gen cards.

i hope card manufactuars put some decent coolers on these cards.

Right. Cant wait to see the majority of the people out there that:

a) first, have enough to buy the card
b) find a good card that will OC well like this
c) then have enough money and knowledge to cool the card the same way

Thats not to say this isnt impressive, but its not an every day ocurring thing by any means, dont see why anyone should be getting excited about this.

Now if on the average these cards are OCing really well on stock heatsinks and far out-performing nVidia's cards then thats another story... and I myself would seriously consider buying one if that turns out to be the case.

This is pretty cool, but i have to say.....
INQ sucks ass, they piss me off so much lately, if i could i would hack their site, jsut because they do not have any knowledge about anything, they have 0 info, and they say retearded shit they have heard of of someone like me.

tornadotsunamilife said:
It does demonstrate how far the architecture can actaully go in terms of clock speed though

Yeah but thats pretty much like saying you know a guy that bought a 2005 Mustang GT and got 700 HP out of his engine. Now lets see you go buy the same 2005 Mustang GT and get the same performance out of it. Most people dont have the time or the money to do that. Nor is it really necessary.

I realize that in that example cost is a much bigger factor than computers but it scales about the same.

there are some more 1800xt doing over 700 on the core with stock cooling.Macci got 740 with default cooling and no volt mods.

his dry ice o/c was limited by the software to get any higher.

how high can gtx's get with stock cooling

Back