Explosion At Apple Supplier Injures 57 Workers

HardOCP News

[H] News
An explosion at one of Apple's suppliers has injured 57 workers. Apparently the explosion occurred during a trial production of aluminum iPad 2 back panels.

The welfare of Chinese workers is back in the spotlight after an explosion at Shanghai-based Riteng Computer Accessory Company left 23 people in hospital with burns and another 34 with more minor injuries. Local government officials said the explosion happened on Saturday afternoon at a workshop on the fourth floor of the facility.

This is not apples fault. What if they were making BFG video cards. U guys wouldn't post this story.

Most definitely Apple's fault. If they weren't trying to increase their profit margins (I mean overcharging people for nothing more isn't enough I guess) and using cheaper/more dangerous parts, this would have never happened.

Most definitely Apple's fault. If they weren't trying to increase their profit margins (I mean overcharging people for nothing more isn't enough I guess) and using cheaper/more dangerous parts, this would have never happened.

:rolleyes:
Jesus Christ people nowadays are so naive. I weep for the future.

A small engadget blurb and everyone has made up their minds. It was the ghost of Steve Jobs

I'd just like to know where in the process shaping an aluminum panel and potential explosion would coincide ???

A small engadget blurb and everyone has made up their minds. It was the ghost of Steve Jobs

Yep. I mean the Chinese version of OSHA is so good that there means there's no way this could have been anything else but deliberate sabotage on Apples part.

Heaven help us

As a few people on Engadget have pointed out, the article clearly stated it was a 'trial run', in other words 'Apple: Can you make this?' Company: 'Yeah.' Accident happens before mass production even starts. 'Tiburon1186: This is all Apple's fault for sure!!!'

Also, keep in mind, R-Teng Computer Accessories does other things. If they're on the trial run it's just common sense that their company isn't 100% devoted to making iPad 2 back panels. Nothing about the article says the explosion even happened where the trial run was being done - for all you know one of the who knows how many OTHER things they make for other companies had a problem.

Also calm down people, I just like blaming Apple for everything anyway. I do like the ghost of Steve Jobs idea though...

Warning: Too... Much... Awesome... Can't... Contain... Awesomeness...

KAAABOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is stupid...if it wasn't apple you wouldn't have even posted this story.

Where to fuck do you think all of the shit in your elite gaming rigs comes from? Yeah...China.

Sup guys heard it was jobs' ghost riding around on a stallion slaying the chinese a la genghis khan

This is stupid...if it wasn't apple you wouldn't have even posted this story.

Where to fuck do you think all of the shit in your elite gaming rigs comes from? Yeah...China.

You can calm down with all the "where the f*ck do you..." stuff. :rolleyes:

We post ALL news like this (Intel and AMD both recently had accidents that were reported by us) it just seems like Apple is always at the center of these explosions / mass suicides / poisonings / etc.

Maybe they just aren't reported but can anyone name off another company that has this many incidents in the last five years? I can't think of a single company that has had this many issues.

I am confused by this.

My Father in law works at an aluminium extrusion plant which handles things like this. At no point in the process can I think of something that could potentially explode...Seriously, wtf were they doing?

I am confused by this.

My Father in law works at an aluminium extrusion plant which handles things like this. At no point in the process can I think of something that could potentially explode...Seriously, wtf were they doing?

Could be similar to the Foxconn explosion.

A separate explosion at a Foxconn factory back in Spring was attributed to poor extraction of combustible aluminum dust.

Even sugar dust can be dangerous.. Grain storage faces similar issues.

Maybe they just aren't reported but can anyone name off another company that has this many incidents in the last five years? I can't think of a single company that has had this many issues.

I could have sworn Foxconn and Pegatron is a supplier for other companies as well not just Apple.

This is not apples fault. What if they were making BFG video cards. U guys wouldn't post this story.

As BFG are defunct, the sudden return of their prodcts being produced and an explosion would definately make the front page! :p

The Apple [H]aters going to hate, that is what they do best. The troll convention is now over, nothing to see here - you can go back to your bridge.

You guys should thank Apple for blowing up foreign infedels stealing our manufacturing :D

Apple doesn't HAVE these issues. Apple is just ONE of MANY companies who do business China to get their shit made. The reason Apple gets picked on the most is because the media loves to stir shit up, and the bigger the company, the more fun it is to throw shit on their face.

*snip*The reason Apple gets picked on the most is because the media loves to stir shit up *snip*

I can't believe you actually said that...like it is a conspiracy against Apple.

So it's the MEDIA that makes Apple use these companies. The MEDIA is the one with people diving off roof tops, explosions and poisonings? It's the MEDIA that makes them stay with these companies so they can be in the headlines every 3 months with stuff like this?

C'mon, really?

Really?

Wow...:eek:

I can see you are mad because we are laughing at them but to say the MEDIA is at fault for this stuff?

Intel had an explosion this year:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/06/08/intel_investigates_explosion_at_chandler_facility

You know what made that one special?

...there's no record of a significant Intel accident since 1996, when a worker was slightly injured while cleaning out an acid tank.

You can calm down with all the "where the f*ck do you..." stuff. :rolleyes:

We post ALL news like this (Intel and AMD both recently had accidents that were reported by us) it just seems like Apple is always at the center of these explosions / mass suicides / poisonings / etc.

China is good a squelching any info that makes them look bad.

I can't believe you actually said that...like it is a conspiracy against Apple.

So it's the MEDIA that makes Apple use these companies. The MEDIA is the one with people diving off roof tops, explosions and poisonings? It's the MEDIA that makes them stay with these companies so they can be in the headlines every 3 months with stuff like this?

C'mon, really?

Really?

Wow...:eek:

I can see you are mad because we are laughing at them but to say the MEDIA is at fault for this stuff?

Intel had an explosion this year:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/06/08/intel_investigates_explosion_at_chandler_facility

You know what made that one special?

I don't think the other guy was saying that it's a media 'conspiracy', it's just all the individual media companies trying to get the most views for each article. Apple uses the same Chinese companies numerous other companies use, but say somebody commits suicide at Foxconn. The various news outlets know that 'Apple supplier has employee commit suicide!' definitely will get more clicks than 'Microsoft Xbox 360 supplier has employee commit suicide!' or 'Dell motherboard supplier has employee commit suicide!' Eventually some media outlets decided to go back and point out that the suicide rate among Foxconn employees was actually LOWER than the national Chinese average, but how many of them mentioned anything like that in the headline?

It just drives more clicks to try to make Apple a predominant part of any story (like this story, a company that isn't even officially mass producing anything for Apple yet and people are acting like this is an Apple controlled supplier that depends on Apple 100%).

Your example of the Intel explosion is actually a good example of a few other things as well. Click on the comments for example. There was a factory actually owned and operated by Intel, and nobody blamed them in the comments. Here you have a factory doing a trial run to see if they're even able to produce something for Apple, Apple certainly doesn't own the factory or control everything it does nor are they even close to being the only one to buy something from them, yet the news headline doesn't say 'Company that supplies parts for numerous companies has explosion!' it's 'Explosion at Apple supplier!'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

Foxconn makes consumer electronics for a number of well-known companies, including:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)[16]

In 2011, Amazon and Foxconn formed a joint-design manufacturing company. The move was meant to produce an Amazon branded smartphone sometime in 2012.[17]

Apple Inc. (United States)[18]
ASRock (Taiwan)
Asus (Taiwan)
Barnes & Noble (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Dell (United States)
EVGA Corporation (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[19]
Intel (United States) <----- BOOM Heatshot.
Microsoft (United States)
MSI (Taiwan)
Motorola (United States)
Netgear (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)[18]
Panasonic (Japan)
Samsung (South Korea)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[20]
Toshiba (Japan)
Vizio (United States)

Thank you for your off-topic post.

I was going to just delete your post but I figured I'd save it for when an article about FOXCONN actually comes up so you can just cut and paste this. :D

The company in question is Riteng Computer Accessory Company, not Foxconn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

Foxconn makes consumer electronics for a number of well-known companies, including:

*GIGANTIC SNIP*

Thank you for your off-topic post.

I was going to just delete your post but I figured I'd save it for when an article about FOXCONN actually comes up so you can just cut and paste this. :D

The company in question is Riteng Computer Accessory Company, not Foxconn.

Saturday's explosion occurred at a Shanghai factory operated by RiTeng Computer Accessory, which lists PC makers Hewlett-Packard, Dell and Asus among its clients. Shanghai authorities said 27 employees were required to stay in the hospital for observation, but none had life-threatening injuries.

Back