Explorer.exe crash (Vista)

GlobalFear

2[H]4U
crashxg3.jpg

By applying that setting Vista crashes every time.

Specs:
DFI Lanparty Ultra -D
AMD Opteron 175
Asus EN7950GT
Corsair 2GB pc3200
Enermax Noisetaker 485 Watt

I had explorer.exe crash on me last night (Vista x64) while I was selecting the options for the start menu to which you refer. After a reboot, I tried to apply those options once again and they stuck. <shrugs>

Try turning off DEP, it causes Explorer to crash randomly.

Croak said:
Disable DEP / NoExecute Protection to fix Random Windows Explorer crashes

Due to the way Windows Vista&#8217;s boot editor has been created, it is now harder to disable DEP / No Execute Protection. However, after some amount of research, it would seem that some of the random Windows Explorer crashes that users are experiencing is caused by this technology. You will need to disable it and reboot, which should cure some of the crashes:

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on &#8220;Command Prompt&#8221;, and click &#8220;Run as administrator&#8221;.
If asked for permission to run Windows Command Processor, click on Allow.
At the command prompt, type in &#8220;bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff&#8221; (without the quotes).
You should receive a message saying &#8220;Operation Completed Successfully&#8221;.
Restart the computer, DEP / No Execute should now be disabled.

You mean the end of the year.

And yes, turn off DEP if it's giving you problems. A lot of older programs still get nuked by that feature anyway.

You mean the end of the year.

And yes, turn off DEP if it's giving you problems. A lot of older programs still get nuked by that feature anyway.

No, I really mean the end in February. I remember the trends that MS has had over the years.

Millennium (or 2000): 11 month(s)

XP: 6 month(s)

Vista: 1 month(s)

A lot of reputable websites are listing that the first Service Pack is going to be released in February. Also called up a MS rep and he said, "SP1 will be released much sooner thanks in part to the people who participated in the beta testing and the customer experience program that is on by default."

Can't wait.

I can't even transfer files (drag & drop OR copy & paste) without recieving that error.

No, I really mean the end in February. I remember the trends that MS has had over the years.

Millennium (or 2000): 11 month(s)

XP: 6 month(s)

Vista: 1 month(s)

A lot of reputable websites are listing that the first Service Pack is going to be released in February. Also called up a MS rep and he said, "SP1 will be released much sooner thanks in part to the people who participated in the beta testing and the customer experience program that is on by default."

Can't wait.

Actually, I believe it was reported to be released in July, so I think the 6 month timeline will repeat itself.

Actually, I believe it was reported to be released in July, so I think the 6 month timeline will repeat itself.

I'm just restating what the guy said, I have no absolutely certain way to know if they will release SP1 in Feb. :confused:

Back