Explorer 3.0 Upgrade to a MX510..is it worth it?!

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I have an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0(had it for a few years) and I was wanting to upgrade to the MX510 beause I've heard a bunch of great things about it. I play a bunch of FPS games(Clans/leagues and such). So my question is if it is worth the upgrade?? Will I notice a big difference??

Thanks!!!!

-fro

I would go with the MX518 as it replaces the MX510. It has a better engine and more DPI. The new drivers are pretty sweet so far also.

I currently own the MX500, MX510 and the MX518. They've only improved over time.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I would go with the MX518 as it replaces the MX510. It has a better engine and more DPI. The new drivers are pretty sweet so far also.

I currently own the MX500, MX510 and the MX518. They've only improved over time.

The MX510 can be had for pretty cheap and it doesn't seem the 1600dpi helps much... have you ever owned an explorer 3.0 ???

Had a MS Exporer 2.0 for years and I thought nothing could touch it, best mouse ever. Then I spilled super glue all over the damn thing and ruined it *I cried* Bought MX510 and it was like having sex with my hand comparison wise.

Well, the mx510 is now priced fairly competitively...and I don't think the extra sensitivity of the mx518 is needed unless you are a high sensitivity player (most skilled players play low-sens anyway...)

I use the mx510 and I find that it's fine for me. I'd prefer the mx518 so that I could have the OPTION of using a higher sensitivity...that'd be nice...and just...knowing that I have a technically superior mouse :)

But yea, the mx510 is a really great mouse...I find it more precise than the explorer 3.0 (which I also thought was pretty good actually).

Heh, and I guess there are 2 other optical mice competing with the mx518 (Razer's Diamondback and the Raptor M2 2400dpi ridiculous mouse with adjustable weights, sensitivity, weirdo shape... (seems to be in some way related to Razer though...)

No the MX510 is obsolete. You have to get it for under 10$ for it to be worth it if you like it´s shape. If so you should really get the MX518. That or the Diamondback or keep your Intellimouse 3. I have had it and it´s ergonomics is far superior Intellimouse 4, MX518 and also a little bit better than the Diamondback which is the best otherwise.

I have and use an MS explorer 3.0. Last Christmas I bought an MX510 and I could not tell a difference in my main game (Desert Combat) or in Photoshop. A lot of people on this forum drool over the newest mice. For me, it wasn't worth the $ so I took it back. I think a lot of people perceive improvements because of the placebo effect.

-Ace-

Depends a lot if you are a high sense gamer or a low sense. If you are a low sense for natural reasons higher dpi isn´t as important :).

But me I could spot a difference going from Intellimouse 3 to Intellimouse 4 and MX510. However the difference going to the DB and MX518 was greater then going from intellimouse 3 to Intellimouse 4/MX510. Was a bit surprised by that because I thought the curve would lower. Meaning I would feel bigger difference between Intelllimouse 3 and MX510 then MX510 to DB.

No it is not worth it. I had an Explorer 3a and it was just as good as the MX510 I have right now. The only thing that made the replacement (notice I did not say upgrade) was that my Explorer was biting the dust.
For me, it wasn't worth the $ so I took it back. I think a lot of people perceive improvements because of the placebo effect.
You are very right. And now my brother tells me he wants an MX518 for his birthday and he uses and MX500 right now. Apparently you can't convince a 14 year old that it is a waste of money for a zero upgrade.

hmmm, i do not put my whole hand over the mouse..I hold the mouse on the sides, which mouse design would that be better for??

Any more opinions?

I had a good Logitech ball mouse that fit my hand pretty good back in the day, but then went for the 3.0 explorer..

Maybe I should go back to Logitech? It is only $30 and it has faster processing and smoother mouse pads (supposidly). And I can run it at a faster USB rate..

?

-fro

well i am currently using a Microsoft BLACK IntelliMouse 5-Button Optical Mouse and just ordered a MX510 will let ya know how it is when it arrives in 2 days........

NO! I LOVE my intellimouse 3.0, I'm gonna keep using this thing forever. I tried an MX518 and it didn't feel right. I've been using the intellimouse 3.0 for years, and I don't think I could ever change mouses, I'm just so used to it.

rayg said:
NO! I LOVE my intellimouse 3.0, I'm gonna keep using this thing forever. I tried an MX518 and it didn't feel right. I've been using the intellimouse 3.0 for years, and I don't think I could ever change mouses, I'm just so used to it.

same goes for me :D

Staples said:
No it is not worth it. I had an Explorer 3a and it was just as good as the MX510 I have right now. The only thing that made the replacement (notice I did not say upgrade) was that my Explorer was biting the dust.

You are very right. And now my brother tells me he wants an MX518 for his birthday and he uses and MX500 right now. Apparently you can't convince a 14 year old that it is a waste of money for a zero upgrade.

Your brother is right though you refuse to see it :D

I find it amazed of all people that are so stuck in the past they are afraid there is something new and better.

I am sure you will also say X64 is pointless there is no performance increase running it ;)

There is test programmes that are easy to use and where you easily can spot the difference in precisions with these mouse. That is fact then if you don´t see the need for it that is another story :)

infin|ty said:
MS IME 3.0 is the best mouse ever if you have larger hands. Nuff said.

No. That would be the original Intellimouse Explorer. The one that came out in early 2000. Mine finally died on me last fall, after more than 4 1/2 years of awesome gaming goodness. The scroll wheel just gave out. :(

Anyway, I got MS's new mouse with the tilt wheel. That mouse was extremely comfortable, but the *clickless* scroll wheel sucked for games, so I sold it and got an mx510.

It was very small for what I was used to so it took a while to get used to it. But now I've learned to love it.

Truely a heart wrenching story of losing a close friend, and gaining a new one. I should turn this into a novel... :p

/rambling

rayg said:

I said the same thing about the original intellimouse 1.0. I still have it and use it to this day. :) It fits my massive hand j ust fine and it's so comfortable. Wish I could find another one. I've had this mouse for at least 3 ½ years.

afropuff said:
hmmm, i do not put my whole hand over the mouse..I hold the mouse on the sides, which mouse design would that be better for??

Any more opinions?

I had a good Logitech ball mouse that fit my hand pretty good back in the day, but then went for the 3.0 explorer..

Maybe I should go back to Logitech? It is only $30 and it has faster processing and smoother mouse pads (supposidly). And I can run it at a faster USB rate..

?

-fro

I hold the mouse the same way you do. I bought a mx700 a little over a year ago (same basic molding as all the other mx) and it is contoured to wrap your whole hand around the mouse. I ended up filing off different edges on my mx700 because it was just getting too uncomfortable since it pretty much forced you to move your mouse at the elbow. I like the Intellimouse Optical over the Explorer as far as feel, and I just recently upgraded from that to the Razer Diamondback. The diamondbacks contour doesn't require you to hold it a certain way, and to me felt the easiest to control.

The DB is excellent if you want to hold your mouse with your fingers for quick action :). It´s very low.

NowhereMan said:
Stay with it. I only replaced mine after it died an honoroble death.

Nooooooooooooooooo...

Mine finally stopped working, the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0A was the best and still is the best I have ever owned.

Currently using an MX510, it is nice, but the egronomics are not as good as the 3.0A...

It is a bit more precise, but even games like CS and Quake you can not tell that much difference. Definetly not enough difference to sacrifice the comfort of the 3.0A.

Too bad I could not find another 3.0A

UltimaParadox said:
Nooooooooooooooooo...

Mine finally stopped working, the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0A was the best and still is the best I have ever owned.

Currently using an MX510, it is nice, but the egronomics are not as good as the 3.0A...

It is a bit more precise, but even games like CS and Quake you can not tell that much difference. Definetly not enough difference to sacrifice the comfort of the 3.0A.

Too bad I could not find another 3.0A

3.0a's are all over ebay...they supposidly have never been used as well.

Why do people ask the same question over and over? Use the search function, guys.

-J.

GeForceX said:
Why do people ask the same question over and over? Use the search function, guys.

-J.

I take it you have already searched for this same topic, found it and THEN decided to tell me to use the search button.

would I be correct in saying that? or did you just "figure" this topic was already covered, I am ignorant in the ways of the search button and never searched for it?

-fro

afropuff said:
I take it you have already searched for this same topic, found it and THEN decided to tell me to use the search button.

would I be correct in saying that? or did you just "figure" this topic was already covered, I am ignorant in the ways of the search button and never searched for it?

-fro

There has been numerous threads like this lately ;)

Uhhh... I already knew there were many threads like this. I've been around plenty to know how much I've seen a thread contain "Should I" and "MX510". The search function should bring up at least twenty of the same issues being discussed.

-J.

afropuff said:
The MX510 can be had for pretty cheap and it doesn't seem the 1600dpi helps much... have you ever owned an explorer 3.0 ???

I never owned any of the Intellimouse explorers except the wireless 2.0A and only because it was free. I've never cared for the ergonomics of those mice. I've just preffered the Logitechs the last couple years.

Microsoft's mouse wheel - I hate it.

Err, hated it. I've had the 4.0 for awhile, and now I don't like the clicky wheels anymore.

But then again, I've completely stopped using the wheel while gaming (CS, D2LOD, Doom, etc) because it's so godawful imprecise. Oh, and the tiny buttons on the left side of the mouse? Completely useless, IMO. I just forget they are there.

On the other hand, the smooth scroll wheel PWNS browsing.

At this point, my Ratpadz (which is getting replaced too... grr) has eaten the feet off the mouse so I too am thinking of going to the 518 with an Icemat (Something that won't eat feet!!!)

BTW, Cordless mice & keyboards at my desk seem very silly to me, seeing as it never goes anywhere further than... well... No, wait. It never goes ANYWHERE. (Before someone gives an example - my HTPC setup is on a wireless rig...)

Is there really any alternative between the MS/Logitech mice? The Razer mice seem overpriced for I'd imagine to be a marginal increase in performance with more bells and whistles than anyone's ever going to really use.

TheAcorn said:
Microsoft's mouse wheel - I hate it.

Err, hated it. I've had the 4.0 for awhile, and now I don't like the clicky wheels anymore.

But then again, I've completely stopped using the wheel while gaming (CS, D2LOD, Doom, etc) because it's so godawful imprecise. Oh, and the tiny buttons on the left side of the mouse? Completely useless, IMO. I just forget they are there.

On the other hand, the smooth scroll wheel PWNS browsing.

At this point, my Ratpadz (which is getting replaced too... grr) has eaten the feet off the mouse so I too am thinking of going to the 518 with an Icemat (Something that won't eat feet!!!)

BTW, Cordless mice & keyboards at my desk seem very silly to me, seeing as it never goes anywhere further than... well... No, wait. It never goes ANYWHERE. (Before someone gives an example - my HTPC setup is on a wireless rig...)

Is there really any alternative between the MS/Logitech mice? The Razer mice seem overpriced for I'd imagine to be a marginal increase in performance with more bells and whistles than anyone's ever going to really use.

I think MS/Logitech/Razor are pretty much your only options. There are a few out there that are a little different. Someone mentioned the Raptor or something. You'd think with gaming becoming more popular and "professional" (big time quotes around that one) that there would be a demand for custom mice or something that fits the player's hand.

btw, I use a "supermat". it is basically a HUGE cloth mouse pad, you can pick it up @ Staples for $10 or so.

-fro

There both sweet mice and there just about the same price. But i say stick with the MS...

I went from a MS Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 to an MX1000. Both are very comfortable, but the difference in performance is rediculous. MX1K beats the ever loving crap out of the IME 2.0

Ya but if your happy with and used to the MS then stay with that.

altec said:
Ya but if your happy with and used to the MS then stay with that.
Bit of rediculous advice. How is 1 to know if they might be more happy with another product if they don't give it a try?

Here is what 1 needs to know.

MX510 has 800-dpi = Dots per inch. Which means how accurate it is.

MX518 has user controled dpi from 400 to 1,600.

MX1000 uses a laser which is stated to be 20 times more accurate then optical mice. Now lets think about this. 20 times more accurate. The MX510 was out when the MX1000 was released but the MX518 wasn't yet. So lets just assume 20 times more accurate refers to 20 times more accurate then 800 dpi. That works out to a dpi of about 16,000. A full 14,400 more theoretical dpi then the MX518 which wasn't released at the time.

Now the Razor Diamondback was also out when the MX1000 was released which also has adjustable dpi from 400 to 1,600. 20 times more accurate then 1,600 dpi works out to 32,000 theoretical dpi.

Arm yourself with knowledge before making a purchase.

Edit: Btw. I have owned every single mouse I just mentioned. Sold the Razor Diamondback to a friend a couple weeks ago. Broke the MX510 a long time ago, & have the MX518 sitting next to my desk on the floor. Currently using the MX1000. Never even considered using a MS mouse though. Always used logitech mice.

Devourer said:
Arm yourself with knowledge before making a purchase.

Honestly can you tell that much of a difference between 800dpi and 1600dpi, optical mice have come so far so fast, that I do not think you can really tell a difference anymore. Maybe its just me, but the real benefit from it all is that wireless mice are catching up to wired. Thats about it.

Yes you can tell a difference if you have

1. Identicle computers with 2 different mice.

Or, & a much easier way to tell.

2. have a mouse with adjustable dpi.

As far as the MX1000 vs the MX518. THey both use the same (Set Point) drivers which the drivers will detect which mouse you are using. So you could hot swap them pretty fast to see which mouse is better for you. Although its not exactly the best test method. But there is certainly a noticable difference in feel in different dpi speeds. Also with the MX518 you can program the drivers to detect what game you are playing if you want varying dpi speeds dependent on what game you play.

I dont think it is worth it. Dont get me wrong, I love my mx510, however I just dont think it would be worth spending money since you already have a good mouse. Now if you are hardcore into gaming, you might want to just go for the 518. this would be more of a jump and could be worth spending the dough.

The problem with the MX1000 is that it still lags despite it´s white paper specs ;). I would say try them out instead of just read about them.

Back