Exploding Kittens Is The Most-Backed Project Of All Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
With close to 220k backers and $8.8 million in pledges, Exploding Kittens is the most-backed Kickstarter project of all time. :cool:

Tonight a project called Exploding Kittens made Kickstarter history. With 219,382 backers, it became the most-backed Kickstarter project of all time! It more than doubled the previous record of 105,857, held by Reading Rainbow since last summer. Wondering what the backings leaderboard looks like?

Someone has just hit the jackpot. I'm willing to bet they are going to retire very happy with that $8.8mil

Someone has just hit the jackpot. I'm willing to bet they are going to retire very happy with that $8.8mil

Or they could you know... actually use that money to make the card game. I mean the Oatmeal guy is an artist, he can draw funny shit on cards, and it sounds like they already have the game ready to go, it's just a matter of mass producing it, which considering they had something like only $15k goal to do so, I'm pretty sure they can make the game no problem. I think it's simply a matter of going to a printer and making it happen.

It's not like a video game where lots of funding comes in, and they realize "wait I have to do work now? Shit better take some programming classes at the local community college"

I ordered mine on day One. Looks like a really fun game and marketed correctly, basic stuff, easy to finish.

yay for their kickstarter title but they have a long way to go to reach $72,718,427 for star citizen if they want the most crowed funded anything title.

yay for their kickstarter title but they have a long way to go to reach $72,718,427 for star citizen if they want the most crowed funded anything title.

Considering the kickstarter ended, they're not going to get there ;)

Or they could you know... actually use that money to make the card game. I mean the Oatmeal guy is an artist, he can draw funny shit on cards, and it sounds like they already have the game ready to go, it's just a matter of mass producing it, which considering they had something like only $15k goal to do so, I'm pretty sure they can make the game no problem. I think it's simply a matter of going to a printer and making it happen.

It's not like a video game where lots of funding comes in, and they realize "wait I have to do work now? Shit better take some programming classes at the local community college"

Those two things are not mutually exclusive, true it shouldn't be hard to make up the cards, and with this level of funding I'm sure he can draw up the cards and have thousuands of sets made and still have the buulk of the cash left over.

I actually saw this yesterday, the card game itself is pretty simple but I guess everyone loves cats.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive, true it shouldn't be hard to make up the cards, and with this level of funding I'm sure he can draw up the cards and have thousuands of sets made and still have the buulk of the cash left over.

So they will have cash left over, such is the goal of ANY business that makes something and sells it ;)

Wow, $8.8M to print out card sets. So after the $250k - $1M to print them all out, they made a killing on this.

Looking forward to the NSFW package arriving. In my office there were two of us that ended up backing this stupid thing, if its half as fun as CAH its money well spent.

So they will have cash left over, such is the goal of ANY business that makes something and sells it ;)

Oh there is nothing wrong, or evil, about making a profit, despite what many claim. I was just pointing out that he could make the card game and still living on on the kickstarter money.

8.8 Mill with 220,000 averages around $40 a backer... I never even heard of Exploding Kittens until now, but those kinda numbers are impressive for such a novel idea...

8.8 Mill with 220,000 averages around $40 a backer... I never even heard of Exploding Kittens until now, but those kinda numbers are impressive for such a novel idea...

Well those numbers are a bit skewed, since they actually had a "back this" addition that allowed people to do so without actually giving any money. So this record probably should have an asterisk next to it.

I have no idea what you're talking about wrt a "back this" that gave no money - lowest tier was $20 for Exploding Kittens SFW edition.

Additionally:
Pledge $20 or more

15,505 backers

Pledge $35 or more

202,934 backers

No skewing here...

Holy shit. They got that much money? Freakin' A!

Geez... that's a crazy amount.

Considering the kickstarter ended, they're not going to get there ;)

SC only raised $2M in the Kickstarter 30-day period. (the target was $500,000) The other $70M was raised on the SC website. Exploding Kittens' Kickstarter target was $10,000. They hit that the first day the campaign was launched.

I honestly didn't believe that The Oatmeal was that popular.

SC only raised $2M in the Kickstarter 30-day period. (the target was $500,000) The other $70M was raised on the SC website. Exploding Kittens' Kickstarter target was $10,000. They hit that the first day the campaign was launched.

I think it's that with that one title "Exploding Kittens" - those guys managed to capture both the cat and the anti-cat markets in one fell swoop. The Oatmeal was just the (big-ass) neutron that started the chain reaction...

He added a ton of addons for kicking ass. I think my original NSFW backing was going to include about 20 cards to add to the regular deck. Now the deck can be a standalone game. We are also getting fancy boxes to store these cat cards in. So two decks and a fancy box.

They hit the goal mark the first hour or so. They hit $3.5mil within the first 72hrs, if I recall.

I have no idea what you're talking about wrt a "back this" that gave no money - lowest tier was $20 for Exploding Kittens SFW edition.

After they started putting out "achievements to unlock" to increase the swag you get giving him money, they had people able to back it, without actually giving money, this simply added to the total count of those who could back it, those that paid no money get nothing though.

I backed it on day 2. No regrets. Can't wait to play with the kids and then with the NSFW version with the neighbors.

Back