Experts: Video games not an addiction

Baker

2[H]4U
Article Here

"The more time kids spend on video games, the less time they will have socializing, the less time they will have with their families, the less time they will have exercising,"

Well damn, I guess they haven't touched a Wii. Seems like Wii's can be pretty sociable, as well as spending time with the family or being energetic.

I do think video games are addicting, but not in a mental disorder kinda way. :p

Its not an addiction, people who are obsesive compulsive are usually inclined to be more so with games, seeing as they are really easy to get into. Install it on a computer, sit down, do a bunch of clicking. A very simple equation to get "hooked" not really addicted but people with habits of sticking to something for so long (wether its fun or not) will be hooked to gaming.

I agree about the socializing, its really easy to loose touch with other people if you game too much and don't get out with other non-gamers, sometimes if I do nothing but game on the weekend I'll notice my habits change and my actions change as well, which is when I start to take breaks from my computer more often.

I think gaming helps me stay in touch with people. We all lan every wednesday, talk about the week and whats planned for the weekend. I drive to local lan's meet new people. Talk to them online, game with them, maybe going bowling or something on the weekend. Because of games I meet a lot of new people from a lot of different walks of life.

Those activities are different from the typical "hooked" gamer, who spends their life infront of their machine sticking to online games and only interested in people who are also online. Laning is a ton of fun and requires planning which also helps socializing.

To me being social online is totally different then being social with people out of the game, theres alot more to be in person talking to someone then being behind a monitor using expretionless text.

Those activities are different from the typical "hooked" gamer, who spends their life infront of their machine sticking to online games and only interested in people who are also online. Laning is a ton of fun and requires planning which also helps socializing.

To me being social online is totally different then being social with people out of the game, theres alot more to be in person talking to someone then being behind a monitor using expretionless text.

Most people who have a serious addiction are usually the fps/mmo/rts crowd and they play with friends over voice communication a lot of the time. So, although not as good as in person, its not just text, you do hear the persons voice.

Back